Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
smally289
growing up is optional

Default V8 Capri in SA?

Hey guys,
has anyone on here ever tried to get a capri registered with a 289 in SA?

I know it would have to be engineered, but how hard is it to actually get it registered?

smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

I don't think it's allowed for new conversions allowable for road reg. You may have to buy an already built, registered & engineered example. see capacity allowed for weight

see here for a discussion:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=CAPRI
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

there are a couple of the perana capris with v8's in them registered here in SA, not sure about any others. first place to ask would be the guys at regency park, and i believe you would need to fill in some forms outlining the proposed mods.
any one feel free to correct me where i am wrong...
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know of a 351 regoed capri in Darwin.

Should be straight forward, as long as there isnt too much cutting out, brakes are upgraded and it is engineered, there shouldnt be too much of a hassle.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I have a good mate down here in Geelong building up a 351 Clevo Capri. The motor should be good for 800hp. He is doing every step through a engineer and so far he has had no drama's.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
smally289
growing up is optional

I will ring Regency Park tomorrow and ask them.
Hopefully I get an answer before the one Im looking at is sold.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Its South Australia specific, no other states issues matter.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Its South Australia specific, no other states issues matter.
smally351,Your best bet is to contact your appropriate Motor Authority and let them know your intentions. Then you will know where to go from there.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
compact

believe it or not the story ive heard is that you will have more chance of getting a 289 registered rather than a 302 windsor

good luck and i will be curious to know the outcome of your chat with regency
compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
GT Doug

Smally351, I would recommend you get intouch with the Department of Transport, not to ask them of the legalities, but to obtain a copy of the act relating to the matter, so you can determine what is legal yourself. Be very carefull here, as information given via telephone bears no guarantees, and is often opinionated and uneducated.

If you are involved in an accident wherein persons are injured, modifications such as this can, and quite often will, lead to criminal charges.

As I do, you should always contact a consulting engineer to cover your backside.

Doug.
GT Doug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Doug
Smally351, I would recommend you get intouch with the Department of Transport, not to ask them of the legalities, but to obtain a copy of the act relating to the matter, so you can determine what is legal yourself. Be very carefull here, as information given via telephone bears no guarantees, and is often opinionated and uneducated.

If you are involved in an accident wherein persons are injured, modifications such as this can, and quite often will, lead to criminal charges.

As I do, you should always contact a consulting engineer to cover your backside.

Doug.
Get a copy of the guidelines and stick to it.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To start off, I would not contact Regency straight out. I would contact a bloke by the name of Doug Potts who is a registered certified engineer. I know of plenty of people that use his services and with great success.

Doug Potts
or
Old 24-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
GT Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
Get a copy of the guidelines and stick to it.
Exactly
Old 24-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Exactly
Are you Doug Potts ?
Old 24-02-2008, 10:59 PM   #15
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
as information given via telephone bears no guarantees, and is often opinionated and uneducated.
I can second that. I rang the Vehicle Modifications people at Transport SA, asking about mods on my coupe. Thought all was good, then I went to get my ID check done.
"can't have those".. "but the vehicle mods guys said I can".. "well they told you wrong."
But then again, I've had problems with the inspectors when having a defect cleared on my old XA coupe.. "where is all your emission gear?".. "It doesn't need it, its pre-emission". Unfortunately, some of them get upset when you correct them.
You'd think the people in these positions would actually know the rules.

I think through the Transport SA website there's links to all the rules regarding modifications. Barry_v got most of his info from there when building his convertible.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #16
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
I can second that. I rang the Vehicle Modifications people at Transport SA, asking about mods on my coupe. Thought all was good, then I went to get my ID check done.
"can't have those".. "but the vehicle mods guys said I can".. "well they told you wrong."
But then again, I've had problems with the inspectors when having a defect cleared on my old XA coupe.. "where is all your emission gear?".. "It doesn't need it, its pre-emission". Unfortunately, some of them get upset when you correct them.
You'd think the people in these positions would actually know the rules.

I think through the Transport SA website there's links to all the rules regarding modifications. Barry_v got most of his info from there when building his convertible.
So its not only Vic Roads that are **** wits then. : The lack of knowledge relating to these issues amazes me. It isnt only one state, its country wide. No wonder there is so much confusion amongst enthusiasts.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

nah, apparently every states/territory transport department has a few 'half'wits who think they know it all, but clearly, don't.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
nah, apparently every states/territory transport department has a few 'half'wits who think they know it all, but clearly, don't.
Exactly right Mate.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #19
GT Doug

Quote:
Are you Doug Potts ?
I'm not, but funnily enough Doug Potts was involved with a past project of mine which envolved a V8 Hemi in an XB. A great engineer and very helpfull.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
I'm not, but funnily enough Doug Potts was involved with a past project of mine which envolved a V8 Hemi in an XB. A great engineer and very helpfull.
Just a wild guess !! Do you have pics of the XB ? It sounds interesting.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
GT Doug

Quote:
Just a wild guess !! Do you have pics of the XB ? It sounds interesting.
lol, it never went ahead. Ironically, it was going to be to hard/costly to get it engineered.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #22
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-250
To start off, I would not contact Regency straight out. I would contact a bloke by the name of Doug Potts who is a registered certified engineer. I know of plenty of people that use his services and with great success.

Doug Potts
or

Thanks for that, I will give him a bell.
Old 25-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
smally289
growing up is optional

Checked with Regency Park, no worries getting it passed as long as you have an engineers report with lane change stability, brake fade tests etc.

Rang Doug today and left a message with his secretary. He didnt ring back so I tried Tonkin Consulting.
Basically to do the above mentioned testing involves hiring A.I.R.
"Allow about 3 grand to do it all" BUT if there is only one car to be tested on that day then the 5 grand for the hiring of the track is my responsibility. Obviously the more cars then the less it costs each.
I cannot justify that sort of money. Hate to think what would happen if it didnt pass the first lot of tests. Go home and upgraded the brakes or whatever and then line up for another lot of engineering - no thanks!
Old 25-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #24
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

NostalgEA –

How does the 351C Capri get around the capacity weight requirements? Is it way heavy? Have they said that it’s a 302?
The 351 conversions seems to run in to this obstacle in the NCOP on light vehicle construction and modification. Is there a way around this? Does the local Vicroads requirements have a way around it? I thought that the NCOP was pretty black and white about it and that is what all of the states had to follow as a general guideline?
More info please, from anyone….

Smally 351 –

Isn’t the engineer also giving you advise on how to pass the test? He should be able to tell you before hand if it has a fair chance of getting through shouldn’t he? If it is installed and operating as he has recommended and approved it you won’t be going in there blind.

Any other way around it? Are you in a club that runs circuit events? Any chance of getting him to observe and measure during a lunch break (or similar) in a sprint? How about an airport runway?
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post