Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
FunkyPig
Starter Motor

Default What spec Falcon gives the best resale?

Hi all, I am able to purchase discounted Falcon or Territory models through my work and am looking into what's best. Basically resale is number one for me. I would be selling the car after 6-12 months.

I'm thinking of getting an XR6, XR6T or XR8 ute. I haven't looked too seriously into insurance but that might limit me to an atmo XR6 as I'm 26 and male (therefore a risk to all road users apparantly).

It appears utes have the best resale by far, and the performace versions are pretty good too. So I am curious what people think I should get, auto or manual, get it in white maybe, what options appeal etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greg

P.S. Although this is my first post I've been a regular visiter to the forum for years

FunkyPig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Conrad
Banned

i thought it was any male under 25 was a risk to all road users! they've changed the legislation to 26 now????

XR6T responds better to mods and will get you alot more power for minor and simple mods.

Auto is faster in a straight line but if you want to take it round the track and the lot, choose the manual.

Personally i'd go manual, i hate auto's.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
cycle myth

Funky pig.

Sometimes there can be big differences in resale between models, but honestly are you buying this car for you or to sell to someone else?

If you are worried about resale then you would be worried about the total cost of ownership and thats a different question again (consider fuel, insurance, tyres etc)

To broadly answer your question thought, XR's generally retain value better than XT's and certainly better than Fairmonts.

Auto's are generally better than manuals as manuals appeal to a smaller cross section.

Options that you don't get good residuals on are things like sunroofs, big wheels.

Hope this helps but really get the car you want to enjoy and own.

If it is out of the budget then look at what the other issues are.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I would say go an xr6 t ute. These have held their value here in adelaide the best anyway. Prob followed by xr8 ute, then sedan.
Old 21-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
BadMac
I still have both eyes

I'd say anything with GT followed by HO. Will have the best Falcon resale (right answer 30 years ago).
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
FunkyPig
Starter Motor

Thanks for the comments. I think I prefer the XR8 ute idea, but I know the XR6T ute is probably the better car, just trying to convince myself to not get a V8 is not easy.
Ultimately I plan to get what I want first, just curious what options, like leather seats, paint colour, hard ute lid etc might be good value to get on a new car that I'm just going to sell after 6 months or so. For eg. I wouldn't want to dump a few grand on an option that will hardly count for anything with resale.
Old 22-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

if you want to sell after 6 months. i wouldnt buy a new car. but a fairly new second hand car. and it will hardly lose value compared to a new car.

that is unless you were looking at an FG?
Old 22-02-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
IDT
Marko

Funky Pig,

It varies massively, what sells well in one area doesn't necessarily sell in another. As my old man says drive past as many local car yards as you can and take a look two or three rows back. The cars closest to the street are the over priced ones to draw you in and the ones close to the showroom are the the same. The ones in the middle "value for money and sell themselves". I know it sounds like a load of bull but I have tested it with a few buys and have been happy with what I got and what I sold them for. Take note though, I have never done/tried it with a brand new car.
Old 22-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
FunkyPig
Starter Motor

Looking at an FG of course But also I get a 22% discount on new Fords through my work, so I want to buy one and offload it before the depreciation hits 22%. I can buy no more than 2 per year also.
Old 22-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

For me, X6 or XR8 Ute. As an example, another guy at work got a Future at the same time as a got my XR6 ute (well optioned) as company cars. Both where 38k retail new. When it came time to sell the lease company wanted 19k for the ute and 13k for the Futura at 3 years old with 110000k on the clock.

To me and a lot of people the XR6T ute is not an option. The reason is that they cannot tow a large load. This narrows the market somwhat and the turbo model would be no use to me at all.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

From recent personal experiance, go the XR6T or XR8. But definetly go the ute.

As it was explained to me by several dealers and wholesalers, the average family and even fleet companies are buying XR6's as family or corporate cars. And the old supply and demand rule applies here. More of these cars on the market and the value goes down. XR6T or XR8, only car enthusiasts buy them and they are not flooding the market.

Also, try to add some options if you can like premium sound, leather, sunroof etc.

This is only from my personal opinion.....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

agree with all the above XR6T/XR8 ute is the way to go, Standard Falcon/Fairmonts depriciate too quick, Territory better but not as good as a ute
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
FunkyPig
Starter Motor

XR6T or XR8 ute certainly seem to be the way to go. When I get on carsales.com.au I notice that utes are selling for the same if not more than same age and model sedans, despite the sedans costing more when new!

Can't really see a trend with manual or auto transmissions though, but it seems the cars with the attractive options are a fair bit dearer.
Old 22-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
IDT
Marko

Funky Pig,

I raised this with the guy who does our fleet management at work today. He was strong on the idea of not getting a car with additional options. Rather spend a bit more and get a higher model (sport or luxury doesn't matter). He reckons they (his company) can't sell cars that have all the options as well as they can superior models where those options often come standard anyway. He went on to say that options add little to no resale value (Hope that came out right). Now I am quoting him but I will say makes sense????
Old 22-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

If Ford make a limited edition opening run of falcons like an FG, id get that, ive seen BA sr's hold their value pretty well. Ford might do it, Holden did a limited run of holden commodore V.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #16
dave289
Banned

Best resale= XR6T
Worst resale=Fairmont ghia but you would be hard finding a ghia ute cause they did'nt make one,so you should get the xr6t.

If you live in or around major traffic get the auto .if your able to actually drive your car i'd get the manual.there is no way i would get the manual in sydney as the traffic is a joke most days.i would rather sit in the traffic easing on and of the brake pedal,rather than take my foot of the brake to use the accelater while my other foot goes in and out fron first back to neutral and back again as well as have to use my hand to change fron first back to neutral and back again.white is too plain in a ute so i would try another colour.

Last edited by dave289; 23-02-2008 at 09:42 AM.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post