Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Default New Red Light Cameras

For once the Victorian Government has done something right. A bit late but still right. I will stand up to anyone who disagrees with the red light camera. They are nothing like speed cameras where they can get you when you least expect it (hidden), and there are no varibles.
Traffic lights are set up per the speed limit on the road, so the amber light will be on long enough for you to stop (did you know that?).

I see the results of people running the red everyday and I would have to say that running red lights contributes to more accidents than speeding, without a doubt.

But the BULLS**T ad on TV. Did I watch it wrong but are the TAC saying that one and two clicks are OK? That's wrong. One click is not OK, let alone two.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep some ******** ran a red light the other night and ran into my a car full of my mates. For the most part it stops people running lights and if you do expect a fine in the mail. I also go just a little bit slower at red light camera intersections now.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I hate red light runners! Stupid ***** cost me my car!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
AdzT3-146
own the road

whats this new ad? i havent seen it yet.
what are they trying to say about the one click two click thing.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I agree with red light cameras in principle, but just as speed cameras do, have their own pitfalls. I used to live near a notorious red light camera spot in Sydney that would probably safely average one rear ender accident a day due to someone jumping on the anchors when the light turns amber and the following car going up the kyber.

Red light cameras make motorists paranoid about being caught and can cause erratic behaviour from jumping on the anchors when it was much safer to travel through, to people excessively speeding up to get through it before the red light.

I've got into the habit of backing off the go pedal if I'm approaching a red light intersection behind a car incase of the drop anchor method of coming to a stop as well as having a casual glance to either side of me when I'm on pole position, stopped at a red light. <-- now that one has saved me a few times.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

I've almost been cleaned up twice in the last 6 months by idiots running red lights. But the other thing that sh!ts me is people panicking as soon as the green goes amber, and slam on the breaks, just 10 metres from the stop line!! Seen a few rear enders lately because of this very situation, and had one VERY close call when the idiot in front did the above. The red light camera's have made people think that if you drive through when still amber, you will get fined.. and so they panic everytime they see yellow.

I'm 50/50 on this issue. Red light camera's are a good thing, but people seem to have a tendency to panic nowadays as soon as they see yellow and slam on the breaks, causing a lot of accidents.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
lizardmech

I wish they would stop putting 1 second delays between really close traffic lights around freeway on ramps. I saw someone get hit because of these a while ago, the first set went red but is hard to see if you are close while the more visible second set stayed green for 1 second longer and some guy drove into traffic using the turning lane. Its not worth it to clear an extra car or 2 out of the intersection when the lights change.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should always be a safe distance back from the person at the lights. Even when your stopped at the lights and if you cant see their wheels in front of you your to close. If you get rear ended and hit the person in front of you the person behind you is at fault for hitting you and your at fault for hitting them. May not be right but there isnt any point being right up someones ***. Its unsafe plus it heats up your engine lol. They have their pros and cons its just a matter of weighing them up against eachother.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #9
Dezza
Parts bin special

The best thing to prevent people jumping on the anchors is to have some flashing amber lights before the intersection. The ones that start flashing to warn people approaching the intersection that the traffic lights are going to change. I've seen heaps of intersections with these and it's good that it gives the driver time to think or to slow down a bit.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Any competent driver will know how much road their car will need to come to a stop for their speed. If not they need to learn this, as it is a basic skill that any driver should have.

Also it is law that you need to remain a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front, therefore if they 'jump on the anchors' then you have enough room to do the same.

Abviously the introduction (although they have been around for quite a long time) of the red light, there needs to be some teaching. ie, you will not be fined for going through the amber light.

Did you know? Amber means 'STOP' if you can safely.

The amount of people who don't know road laws is phenomenal .
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Any competent driver will know how much road their car will need to come to a stop for their speed. If not they need to learn this, as it is a basic skill that any driver should have.
Exactly, any competent driver. There's a distinct lack of them on the road.

Quote:
Also it is law that you need to remain a safe stopping distance from the vehicle in front, therefore if they 'jump on the anchors' then you have enough room to do the same.
Which is why I've never rear ended anyone in that situation. I have actually had a rear ender when the car infront hit the anchors while I was checking my blind spot to change lanes, and they had no brake lights.

Quote:
Abviously the introduction (although they have been around for quite a long time) of the red light, there needs to be some teaching. ie, you will not be fined for going through the amber light.
Actually you can be. If an officer observes you travelling through an amber light when in his opinion you could have safely come to a stop, he has the power to fine you. You don't have to go through the red to be fined.

Quote:
Did you know? Amber means 'STOP' if you can safely.

The amount of people who don't know road laws is phenomenal .
Sure do. Which, combined with incompetent drivers causes a lot of unneccessary accidents at red light cameras.

I never said they were a bad thing, I just noted they came with their own pitfalls which actually can contribute to causing accidents.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:33 AM   #12
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Well, if you cause an accident from excessive and unnessesary braking, it wasn't all that safe was it? I'm aware of the 'law' but just stop and think about it for 1 second on a logical level. Driving so carefully its verging on paranoia is not helpful to anyone.

As far as these new red light camera's you speak of... they are speed camera's. They fine you twice in one hit if you speed through a red light. How does that help if there is a car in the intersection? Typical bracks government pathetic band aid solution, another "I'll scare you into behaving by fineing you" instead of actually doing ANYTHING to prevent it happening or educating people.

I check everytime I take off from the lights just to make sure no-one has lost brakes/trying to run a red, etc but how many don't? How many will now think "no-one would be stupid enough to run the red.... they'll be fined!". What a crazy idea, to breed that sort of complancency.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive seen police chase and presumably book people who went through an amber light and i can tell you they had no chance of stopping safely ,i used to have respect for Police till i moved to QLD now i know they are just revenue chasers that i hate,you should see these big tough coppers here in QLD if they see some potential hard crim riding their pushbike without a helmet then the chase is on,ring Hervey Bay Police and ask for someone to attend your house as its been burgled with crim still inside and they might turn up within the hour.
its a pathetic joke.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Traffic lights are set up per the speed limit on the road, so the amber light will be on long enough for you to stop (did you know that?).
Traffic Lights go amber for 4.6 seconds, there is no differential dependant on the speed zone the traffic light is in. Try not to be in front of a fully laden 18 wheeler in an 90 zone in the wet either - he's not stopping.

Meanwhile, while all your points are valid, this is the sort of opinion (that the public has for red lights and drink driving) that they wish was extended to speeding - government authorities want speeding - even one km over - to be socially irresponsible.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 12:57 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If an officer observes you travelling through an amber light when in his opinion you could have safely come to a stop, he has the power to fine you. You don't have to go through the red to be fined.
Yep mate got done for goin through amber light. They can do it and they have done it.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I can't remember the actual percentage but the number of rear end crashes at intersections with these red light camera's is up by something like 40%, so they aren't as great as what some people think.
As for being new, they have been around for over a year now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #17
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

What are the locations of them in Victoria?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
But the other thing that sh!ts me is people panicking as soon as the green goes amber, and slam on the breaks, just 10 metres from the stop line!!
You got that right, i drive with a heavy tralier every day, the other morning a woman merges into my safety zone ( at least 3 car lenths back when towing)
then jumps on the brakes right in front of me as soon as the lights go amber !
I sound the horn to show my frustration and i recieve the bird,
#sigh, and people wonder why they get bashed.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #19
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I have nothing with red light cameras, but I would like to see traffic lights become "smarter"and adjusting for traffic conditions rather than being set on timers
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #20
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I have nothing with red light cameras, but I would like to see traffic lights become "smarter"and adjusting for traffic conditions rather than being set on timers
That's a really good point - they have the smarts available to them.

Since when were red light cameras a new thing? i thought they'd been around for a decade at least! The combined red light/speed camera's are new as far as i know.

The only problem i have with them is the 18 wheeler in the wet sitution - although i think for the most part your pretty safe if you've got your wits about you. The panic of other road users can be a problem too when your fully loaded and your safety zone is invaded - one of those things i guess.

The things the scare me are the amount of people who don't look behind them before stopping, and the amount of people who drive away when the light turns green without looking. Just gotto make sure your not one of them!

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post