Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-09-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Which E series?

so ive been looking at buying some sort of Ford for a little bit now, hopefully have it for my P's next year.

ive looked at the AU's the BA's but they're too expensive, and im starting to like the EF/EL alot more now.

i want something fairly cheap, and was looking for advice on which EF/EL to get

XR? GLi? Mont? etc you know the pro's and con's of each model

preferably a manual and pretty much defiantly has to be a six

:

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
jjj

If you wanted an auto i would have suggested an EL fairmont Ghia. You get the XR6 engine and 3.45 LSD, leather interior and or the electrics. There usually owned by old people so they a treated and serviced well.

If you want a manual i would go an EF/EL XR6 but generally most examples have been given a hard time by now, unless you look for a 1 or 2 owner vehicle with low km's.
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

What happened to getting an AU or BA man?

My pick of the EF-EL's would be an XR6 or 8 in a manual, aggressive looks and if you can find one with 1-2 owners and low kms, a sensational drive. Tickford did a good job with them (great suspension/steering) Interiors unfortunately are just Gli with front bucket seats, and black leather steering wheel (which clashes with the rest of the interior)

A 98 EL Ghia is great if you want luxury and bling. Depending on color you get grey or creamy full leather interior, chrome doorhandles, wood inserts on centre console (real wood spears on the door trims) Climate (which can be a pain, but the fan has more speeds)

My previous car was a 95 EF Ghia, great car but I missed out on the Ticky suspension and engine (and extra EL bling) Im sure the whole EL package would be a pretty formidable ride.

Hope this helps.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
What happened to getting an AU or BA man?

My pick of the EF-EL's would be an XR6 or 8 in a manual, aggressive looks and if you can find one with 1-2 owners and low kms, a sensational drive. Tickford did a good job with them (great suspension/steering) Interiors unfortunately are just Gli with front bucket seats, and black leather steering wheel (which clashes with the rest of the interior)

A 98 EL Ghia is great if you want luxury and bling. Depending on color you get grey or creamy full leather interior, chrome doorhandles, wood inserts on centre console (real wood spears on the door trims) Climate (which can be a pain, but the fan has more speeds)

My previous car was a 95 EF Ghia, great car but I missed out on the Ticky suspension and engine (and extra EL bling) Im sure the whole EL package would be a pretty formidable ride.

Hope this helps.

thanks mate, all the AU's and BA's i was looking at were way out of my price range, and parents said that they wouldn't help out to the extent i needed. so lookin for something cheaper. i have a triton ute that i'll be selling for around $4-6k anyway so i wont need that much extra $$.

thanks for the info btw, helped alot, i'll consider an auto, can you still get a manual licence even though you drive auto for your L's and P's?

thats the deciding factor really, because after im on my opens, a few years down the track i'll be getting an XR8 or something similar
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont forget the XR6 in the ED, cheap compared to some other cars of similar vintage but also can look & drive mean as. They also come within your price range

On the matter of auto v manual licences I believe that you can get an auto licence and then sit another test to upgrade it to a manual one. IMHO getting a manual licence is the way to go in the first instance.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Conrad
Banned

EF gli - no options means less weight means quicker!
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

EL Fairmont or EL Fairmont Ghia

I have an EF Fairmont which I have made look like a EL Fairmont :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Manual EL XR6...I added the best Ghia bits from wreckers etc into mine...now I have an EL XR6 with Ghia toys...climate, electric all round etc etc...

And with the manual, 3.45 slippery, Tickford suspension & engine, you can do a lot worse!
Old 24-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

I'd definitely go for a Fairmont or Fairmont Ghia. There's just so much more features and comfort with them. The velour's nice in the Fairmont and leathers nice too but a bit harder to look after.
Old 27-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Alan Shore

After having owned both an ED XR6 in manual form and currently an EL Ghia, I personally prefer the ED. It felt a bit more raw and aggressive and in-your-face than the EL. The EL tends to be a real floaty-ship-like car. The EB/EDs are cheap and a lot lighter and in some cases look better anyways. It all depends mate. Good luck anyways...
Alan Shore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

+1 for an ED XR6

Get one in manual, I agree with the above post, been in a few EF-EL's, and the ED just feels so much less civilised :evil3:

Scary and fun at the same time pussy footing around in the wet with 205's and a nice tight LSD.
Old 27-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
webby_191189
low wagooon

Just get the one in the best condition at the time and you like

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
Nah go a 97 EL Ghia. I believe it was 98's that got the hybrid motor. Good in a way, but not so for good for mods.

I have an EL Ghia... it's fantastic when it works
Old 27-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Yeh that is the bad part about Fairmonts.... Ford electrics suck.
Old 27-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #15
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Have you ever considered an LTD mate? LWB ftw. I have both an EB GLI mocked up to ED Fairmont spec and a DF2 LTD. I find the LTD very nice to drive and is a nice cruiser and of course worth more than the EB. Also If you own a higher range model like me you tend to want another car as a daily so for you I would go for a GLi and do what I have done with the EB. My EB is more fun than the LTD coz its older and is converted to manual and has a lumpy cam.
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Rather than starting a whole new thread,I'll ask here.
Do the el ghia 5l's have the 3.45 lsd standard ?
Old 28-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Well i personally believe you cant go past an XR8 5ltr with a 5 speed manual!!