Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
Banned

Default fuel filter

my car is a vp hplden and im wondering if i change the fuel filter will that improve the fuel economy as since i did an oil change i get about 150 kms per 1/2 tank stop and start or about 100-110 kms per$20.00 bebore i got to fill up which is good but im just interested to findout whether if i changed the fuel filter would improve the fuel economy.

would my car start straight away once the fuel is depressurised once i connect my fuel hoses back up.

i tried justcommodores and no answer so i just wonder if you have mates who own vns/vps.

with the ed fords would those cars start straight away once the fuel is depressurised once i connect my fuel hoses back up

Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

:
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

Nah very unlikely. Things to improve economy is to keep off the loud pedal. Extractors and a descent free flowing exhaust system, not loud but efficient. Obviously doing a full service will effect fuel consumption a tiny amount but not much, just makes the car run better which in effect can make it more fuel efficent, considering what it was like before the service.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you're getting around 16L/100 Km... that sounds about normal to me for a v6 dunnydore.

a blocked fuel filter will stop your car from running, not make it use more fuel.

once you connect the fuel filter and the hoses back up, make sure everything's tight, turn the ignition on for a few seconds without cranking the engine to allow the fuel pump to bring the pressure back up, then give it a crank. it should start shortly after.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Banned

so are the ED Fairmonts better on petrol than the VP executives and calais
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12000
my car is a vp hplden and im wondering if i change the fuel filter will that improve the fuel economy as since i did an oil change i get about 150 kms per 1/2 tank stop and start or about 100-110 kms per$20.00 bebore i got to fill up which is good but im just interested to findout whether if i changed the fuel filter would improve the fuel economy.

would my car start straight away once the fuel is depressurised once i

connect my fuel hoses back up.

i tried justcommodores and no answer so i just wonder if you have mates who own vns/vps.

with the ed fords would those cars start straight away once the fuel is depressurised once i connect my fuel hoses back up

Hey mate, I would go back to justcommodores and do a thread search on the fuel filter, you may never know what you may find!

That being said, a fuel filter wont improve fuel economy: extractors, exhaust and a lighter right foot do. I think you may have to run the codes on your VP. Again, justcommodores have heaps of info on how to do this, here is a link:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...vp-faults.html
and
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...ore-1988-1993/
for general VN/VP problems, discussion, mods ect.

It sounds like you may need to replace a oxygen sensor, running the codes will confirm this, again there are heaps of threads about changing o2 sensors, just do a search!!

The justcommdores forum is great for learning stuff about your car, much like fordforums is for learning about fords :

Good luck.

PS: If you had on not noticed I love my commodores as much as I love my fords.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Banned

i still havent got my answer on if the ed faitmonts are better on petrol than vp holdens
Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Might be best to install a Brock Polarizer on the commodore.

:hihi:
Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Banned

what are Brock Polarizers where do you buy them from how much how do you fit them i never heard of them
Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

He was having a joke with ya.
The bad fuel economy sounds like it's an O2 sensor, does the car feel real sluggish? Also no matter how you drive it is it drinking heaps of fuel?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
Banned

yes no matter how i drive it it drinks heaps of fuel i just think i could i do a little better
also would new sparkplugs and new leads make a difference
Old 12-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate, it really depends on your driving and what roads you take. if you're talking about highway driving sitting at 110Km/h all the time, then yes, you're using too much fuel. if you're talking about 50/50 suburban/highway driving, then it's probably on the high side. if you're talking 100% city driving, crawling through peak hour traffic at 10Km/h, traffic lights every corner, then you're doing well.

as suggested you might want to try a holden site for specific answers but you'll need to give specific details about your car and your problem. '$20 lasts me 100Km' is far from detailed.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
Banned

thanks mate ill give it a go and get back to you if i cant find anything
Old 13-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Finally I have read everything that ford forums can offer...
Closed Thread