Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #1
XT221
Blue Blooded

Lightbulb New Exhaust time ! busted for noise by the EPA , 98db...need some suggestions?

what is the best, if any tried and true set up for a series3 XR8 (5speed) & Where would be the best place to get a new system possibly including extractors in Melbournes SE, I definatly wanna keep it a full twin exhaust but need to quieten it down a bit as i have to pass the db test (90db max @ 3750rpm)and a bit more performance wouldnt go a stray :SaiyanSmi !!

XT221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what you got on it now
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
parker

Maybe fit a standard system if you can lay your hands on one - pass the test and then find a system that will be closer to the border line?
parker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
XT221
Blue Blooded

currently running twin 2.5 with balance pipe & 2 small straight through mufflers
Old 17-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
auterror
Starter Motor

dandy exhaust on cheltenham road have always been great with advice and service to me
auterror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU302
what is the best, if any tried and true set up for a series3 XR8 (5speed) & Where would be the best place to get a new system possibly including extractors in Melbournes SE, I definatly wanna keep it a full twin exhaust but need to quieten it down a bit as i have to pass the db test (90db max @ 3750rpm)and a bit more performance wouldnt go a stray :SaiyanSmi !!
What do you have on it now mate.
You know, what gets me with them W....rs is all the harley davidson bikes getting round with loud exhausts. What because some one has a patch or a black leather jacket these guys are exempt. Its bull s..t.
Some one tell me a Boss 290 with a full defallipo 3" big bore system is louder that 1 or 2 harleys.
Old 17-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Herrod motorsport, see if they still have any lying around. Just got a single 2.5" catback system (all you really need apparently) in stainless for $1000 even. Sounds mint.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
You know, what gets me with them W....rs is all the harley davidson bikes getting round with loud exhausts. What because some one has a patch or a black leather jacket these guys are exempt. Its bull s..t.
Some one tell me a Boss 290 with a full defallipo 3" big bore system is louder that 1 or 2 harleys.
thats what i think aswell, and said to AU302 today, its unreal how u can get done for being 6db over, yet some bikes would be over 100/110db,

different mufflers might be the go,

Last edited by EF302; 17-10-2006 at 10:12 PM.
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #9
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Stuff replacing your whole exhaust just for the EPA.

Just get more restrictive mufflers and/or a restrictor plate sandwiched in the exhaust system with a smaller internal diameter.

That will get you down to 90db easy, esp at 3750rpm.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hve a GT and I think my induction niose is worse than the exhaust when I throttle up.
Old 18-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

just put some bigger mufflers on.
Old 18-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
MRJUCY
Fordless

When I got defected I just made up a metal plate with some holes drilled in it & stuck it in the last joint in the exhaust & wedged some steel wool in while I was under there. Once it passed out it all came again, no way I'm letting some hippie from the EPA decide what I drive.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know what happened there, was supose to have the link on previous post. try this again.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ewzorst001.flv
Old 18-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
When I got defected I just made up a metal plate with some holes drilled in it & stuck it in the last joint in the exhaust & wedged some steel wool in while I was under there. Once it passed out it all came again, no way I'm letting some hippie from the EPA decide what I drive.
I got 102db in a Nissan Pulsar. From the exhaust manifold straight into 2.25 with a striaght through muffler out to the back. (pre-cats).

Did the flange with holes, brought it to 96db, crapload of steel wool, then finally tightly rolled up 2 metres of chicken wire and hammered that in got it to pass. With all the stuff in the exhaust it lost a lot of power. It was crap driving around with only half of the 50kw it had normally.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #15
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Depends on your budget etc, etc, but heres my 2cents. I wanted to do the job just once because i intend to keep this car for a long time. I have hpc coated pacies, metal substrate cats and a twin 2.5" s/s difilippo complete with the twin chrome tips out the back, i wanted it to look original from the rear. I think this is the same system that Herrod's call their T3 system, i could be wrong. It wasn't cheap, but well worth it. Nice and quiet when your cruising, no droning at all, but barks beautifully when you stand on it.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
XT221
Blue Blooded

Well got it passed EPA ! & now have upgrade the exhaust with some Pacies & new twin 2 1/4 system with straight through mufflers (old exhaust had seen better days anyway)and sounds a lot different then before but has a nicer note over the whole rev range, and thanks auterror for recommending Dandy exhaust they did a good job!
....also got some new wheels today but will post up pics in a new thread later!!
Old 29-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

thats what i have, pacies and twin 2 1/4.
Post up a sound clip once your exhaust wears in
Old 05-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this post may be a bit late for you au302, but others may find it handy for the same problem. Uou can get valves that fit before you cat, during normal driving its open causing no restriction. But when you get pulled up at the flick of a switch your exhaust is blocked by about 50% reducing noise.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a guy that had that kind of system set up in his VH with a 5L stroker under the hood, the EPA found the switch and wouldnt pass till it was removed out:
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290

Bikes dont have the same db complience that we have with cars they are on 100db for pre 85's and 94db for post 85

Cars are on 90db post 83.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post