Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default AU2 Fairlane Ghia

Hey guys, I am thinking of buying a AU series 2 Fairlane Ghia 5.0L auto as a cruiser/ run around quite soon, however am not sure which way to go. Either this vehicle or a BA series 1 Futura, as they are both around the 14-15K price range. My question is what do you guys think of the fairlanes, I am yet to drive one so would like preferences and dislikes. I have heard that these motors are quite reliable, however would like to know the best way just to wake them up a little, I wont be spending huge amounts on it, maybe an exhaust/headers down the track but was wondering if they react well to this and if the computer needs to be altered also (I already own a stocky F6 but is too good to park at work, hospital carpark). Any constructive feedback appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Old 15-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Windsors are a fantastic engine and will take a lot of abuse. In terms of "waking them up", as you mentioned an exhaust is probably the most common way, if you want to go modifying the management side of things a Unichip would be a good way if you dont want to lash out on the edit.

Fairlane vs Futura is a no contest for me - Fairlane all the way! All the creature comforts and theyre not just a stretched out Fairmont Ghia like the BA's are/were.
Old 16-10-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

b2tf is right there are a great LWB car with so much creature comfort. As i own a TL i don't regret it one bit. :sm_headba AU Fairlane/LTD/TL50 are the best LWB Ford has built by far. :

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gotta love the AU lanes!!
for the price you cant go past it with all the creature comforts!
and its a tried and tested motor
parts are cheaper for the AU than the BA

they suffer the same problems as all AUs.. which are all well documented on here anyway..

id take the lane over the futura any day!

just lower it on SLs and throw on some rims and its pimptacular!
Old 16-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Au_Fairlane_man
Luxury Cruisin!

Default au fairlanes

i back up blackers i have a s1 fairlane and i cant fault it every problem i have had i hgave inflicted the only problem i found is if i lower it to low u cant buy camber kits for the rear. i have that problem. i have a i6 engine but the 8's have never been heard any dis respect. if u r a stereo man the ba wont b cool they r limited to wat u can make look gud and functional they au have endless possibilities with there stereo;s or anything to that matter.

cheers justin hope that helped
Old 16-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The AU V8 fairlanes a much nicer car but as a second car run around vehicle look for lower running costs and depreciation costs and the ba futura may win there.

As a drive to the station or work car park car there are heaps cheaper options though. It does seem overkill.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au_Fairlane_man
the only problem i found is if i lower it to low u cant buy camber kits for the rear
Why won't the XR6/8 rear camber kit bolt on?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Thanks guys, I have found a few sixes on gas which would be fairly economical, but for some reason they just dont do it for me. As im not in a rush yet, i will keep looking for something nice and clean as I have till new years to pick something up, plus just to have a little more cash which is how im hopefully gonna finance it. Im in SA if anyone knows of any.. How much do the "elegance" 17 inch Ford or Tickford wheels cost? They look really neat when lowered as I have seen on a few but most have the stocky 16's.. So anyone dynoed a stock 5L to see what they pull? And then after with exhaust/intake mods? Leave a few links if yous want..
Thanks again..
Old 16-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Do the fairlanes 5litres has a lsd? It doesnt say so on the brochure so im guessing it doesnt, but just to make sure..