Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Peej

Default Interior Cleaning

G day all,

I was talking to a mate of mine a couple of days ago and he was telling me how all the guys at his work tell him not to use armor all products on his dash etc (he's a panel beater) and apparently its there was a report on t.v about it or something? he said to use baby oil instead... any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej
G day all,
I was talking to a mate of mine a couple of days ago and he was telling me how all the guys at his work tell him not to use armor all products on his dash etc (he's a panel beater) and apparently its there was a report on t.v about it or something? he said to use baby oil instead... any thoughts would be great.
Cheers
Peej, My grandma told me if i wave talcum powder around the cabin i would get rid of tobacco smell.

You will find 1000's of stories out there as you go on and most have credit, what you need to do is over time develop what works best for you, with the armour all, it was a common theme a long way back that i think has stuck, where armour all had a rep for drying out dashes etc and causing them to crack, and was reported this was due to a componet that drew the moisture from the dash causing this, but believe this has been changed now ( but can't confirm )

I also believe that these problems were also very much created by the user, if you look back to old school days, car care was lucky to see a bucket of suds and a vacume once a month, and things like protection from sun etc ( Parking in the shade ) was non existant in most cases and if the average person bought 1 bottle of armour all in the cars lifetime they were lucky.

This being the case they would spray thier dash, great it looked shiny then leave it for 2 years in the dirt n sun and then say wow my dash has cracked, and if a car was treated the same today i would expect the same to happen regardless of product.

Personally i used armour all for years and never once had a problem.

These days i find Meguiars rubber n trim products to the best in application and use but there are many other good ones out there, baby oil sounds fine on my babys bum as thats what it is designed for for, while the above is designed for the purpose at hand.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad doesn't cover up the bad smell it actually gets rid of it
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej
G day all,

Cheers
That said, You would be hard pressed finding anything short of an axe that could possibly crack the (WP) Fiesta's hard plastic dash...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Jess85

my bf works in a Ford dealership as a salesman and said the detailers use Windex on the dash/black parts to give it shine and to get rid of the dust.
I cleaned the interior of my car the other day and used the Windex. Spray it onto a soft cloth and rub/wipe onto surface
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess85
my bf works in a Ford dealership as a salesman and said the detailers use Windex on the dash/black parts to give it shine and to get rid of the dust.
I cleaned the interior of my car the other day and used the Windex. Spray it onto a soft cloth and rub/wipe onto surface

Thats true, windex or any similar glass cleaner seems to work well at spot cleaning the interior and paintwork.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i find armourall is the best. the mequires foam is annoying. you spray it on and it gets everyware. very annoying. spray on armourall and then wipe off and you get a nice shine and good protection.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Napalm
Starter Motor

been told only to use armorall on old dashes, not good on newer style cars??
but ill believe anything these days...
Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
crispymk2

just dont use the windex on ur tint cause it'll ruin it over time...
Old 14-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ what would u recommend us to use for cleaning our tinted windows?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
^^^ what would u recommend us to use for cleaning our tinted windows?
There are many brands that do a tint safe window clnr, megs is one of them.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see, thanks DOC
Old 15-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

As far as I understand, for tinted windows, you're looking for Ammonia free products. Personally, I use Megs and it does a decent job.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tinted windows are basically like the lenses of your sunnies, so I reckon if it's ok for your sunnies, it's ok for the windows.