Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question LR Starting issue

Hey guys,

Have noticed recently when starting the focus after it has been sitting for awhile e.g over night when starting it idles rough and without giving the throttle a nudge it shudders and dies. It starts back up no problems and idles fine. Anyone else had this issue??

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Default Re: LR Starting issue

I've never previously mentioned this technique but sometimes in my MK1 if I don't put enough pressure on the key when starting it it doesn't engage the automatic choke and does exactly what you've described. So maybe try putting a LITTLE more pressure on the key when starting it and see what happens.

Hope that makes sense.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tried it tonight on the way to night shift, not sure if it worked or not. Will try it over then next week to ensure thats what the issue is. Cheers for the advice, will let you know how I go.

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

mine does that sometimes as well. i would urge you to check your maf sensor, take it out and give it a blow. dont spray it with anything just blow the dust off.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
mine does that sometimes as well. i would urge you to check your maf sensor, take it out and give it a blow. dont spray it with anything just blow the dust off.
Cheers photn, will have a look tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
I've never previously mentioned this technique but sometimes in my MK1 if I don't put enough pressure on the key when starting it it doesn't engage the automatic choke and does exactly what you've described. So maybe try putting a LITTLE more pressure on the key when starting it and see what happens.

Hope that makes sense.
I tired it and it sort of works, sometimes. I still get a rough idle then it dies if I dont give it some juice.

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

OK, that's blown my theory so I'd tend to go along with Photn's.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Ok, mine had this problem around a month ago. (2002 LR Focus)

Get someone to start ur car whilst you stick your head over the throttle body. Listen carefully for any vacuum leaks.
I had cleaned my throttle body, check MAF etc etc, ended up being a vacuum pipe. Frustrating..... yes!!

Mine has just started to run rough again now, at 150K, going to book in for timing/auxilary belt change. Anyone no how much that'll roughly cost?
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post