Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Hard road ahead for Top Gear Aussies as Shane Jacobson has big shoes to fill

Hard road ahead for Top Gear Aussies as Shane Jacobson has big shoes to fill

Colin Vickery From: The Courier-Mail October 13, 2010 12:00AM

SHANE Jacobson has some mighty big shoes to fill. The comedian, best known for his starring role in movie Kenny, has become Australia's answer to Jeremy Clarkson.

Jacobson heads up the retooled version of Top Gear Australia. Race driver Steve Pizzati and Top Gear magazine editor Ewen Page round out the team.

The trio met their British counterparts -- Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond -- on the Top Gear Ashes Special.

Now Jacobson, Pizzati and Page will go it alone for four Aussie-only episodes.

Jacobson hopes Nine's Top Gear Australia is more successful than the SBS version, which debuted to 933,000 viewers in September 2008 but had about as much polish as a Leyland P76.

Pizzati has been retained from the SBS show, which also featured Charlie Cox, Warren Brown and James Morrison.

The solid ratings for the Ashes special -- more than 1.5 million viewers nationally -- suggests Nine's version will be more successful.

Jacobson, who has a CAMS race licence, originally thought Nine wanted him to appear as one of the celebrities in the Stars in Reasonably Priced Cars segment. He was shocked when executives said they wanted him as a host.

Jacobson is aware of the dangers of copying the UK Top Gear too slavishly.

"The biggest mistake would be going into it to be one of those (Clarkson/May/Hammond) individually," he says.

"I can't be Jeremy Clarkson. If I tried to be him instead of being myself we'd be shot.

"Their chemistry has built up over a long period of time. We can't be a tribute band."

Nine's Top Gear Australia will include many of the wild stunts that made the UK original so popular.

The trio will try to sail on Lake Eyre, attempt to rock a baby to sleep in a V8, hitch up cheap caravans for a "grey nomads" retirement motoring journey, and tackle some of New Zealand's most dangerous roads in a Race to the Sky-type challenge.

Cricket superstar and car buff Shane Warne will make a guest appearance road testing a British supercar at Silverstone.

Celebrity test drivers will include Lisa McCune (Sea Patrol), cricketer Michael Clarke, rocker Jimmy Barnes and The Chaser comedy team.

Jacobson dismisses talk that any Aussie Top Gear is redundant. He has a point -- this year's 15th season of the UK show had only six episodes. That has to leave fans wanting more -- and the Aussie version will fill the void.

"It (Top Gear Australia) doesn't replace the UK one -- we're an addition to it," Jacobson says.

He hopes Top Gear Australia will last for years and he'll happily be there for the ride.

"Working on this show is like getting paid to do your hobby," he says.

Top Gear Australia, Channel 9, Tuesday, 7.30pm

Only 4 episodes!!! Lets hope they are good !!!

Old 13-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I hope for the sake of the show and their careers that they do get some positive response...

but its very hard when the bar has been set SO high by the BBC/UK mob...
Old 13-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Jacobson is aware of the dangers of copying the UK Top Gear too slavishly.

"The biggest mistake would be going into it to be one of those (Clarkson/May/Hammond) individually," he says.

"I can't be Jeremy Clarkson. If I tried to be him instead of being myself we'd be shot.
That right there is one of the reasons the initial Top Gear Australia episodes were bagged so mercilessly. I'm glad he can see it too.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

I think shane will do a great job. Hopefully it takes off. I understand they have more funding so can do more now. I reckon the three fella's they have at the moment are great. I've grown to like the young guy as a presenter, and to be honest didn;t like the oter two previous guys all that much.
One guy I think would be good it Luff, is it Warren Luff or something. He was on some of teh Street Fords DVD's I think it was. Great driver and knows what he is on about.
Old 13-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
REVto10
Starter Motor

When does it start? I saw the first ep the other day, but it's not back officially yet though
REVto10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think with shane he's a funny enough bloke that most people already know and like, not an unheard of person. A lot of people will watch it just to see shane being funny, and I think this alone will give the show some much needed credibility. The original Australian Top Gear was too much of a rehash of the brits, and for that alone they polarised a lot of the viewership. I only ever watched about 30 minutes of the SBS version, it made me nauseous. On top of that, 9 has a much bigger budget and will probably do a much better job. Finally, introducing the new top gear australia team with the ashes; a blessing from the original three was a step in the right direction, and the possibility of follow ups with these Jeremy, James and Hampster is enticing enough to watch.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Starts this coming tuesday.
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVto10
When does it start? I saw the first ep the other day, but it's not back officially yet though

Next Tuesday is the first ep of the Aussie version...

From the snippets shown at the end of last nights UKTG, it does look promising
Old 13-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Next Tuesday is the first ep of the Aussie version...

From the snippets shown at the end of last nights UKTG, it does look promising
Off topic, but big props to channel 9 for showing all of the episode last night, including the news with Carla Bruni. When that episode was last on SBS, they cut the whole "I hate James May" song out. One of the funniest bits of television where James positively loses it.

Quote: