Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #151
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: 2022 Ranger and Everest ideas from CarExpert

With the Ford Powerstroke V6 now being dropped from the F150, the only vehicle in the Ford world fitted with that engine, are we wrongly assuming the Ranger would use the Powerstroke? It's not really Fords style these days to produce an engine for one product line. Think about how many Ford models are fitted with a 2.0 or 2.3 Ecoboost.

Remember VW are twinning the Ranger with the Amorok. And VW make 3.0 V6 diesels for a variety of VW and Audi products. Perhaps this will be the VW contribution to the marriage? If so, this would give Ford access to a variety of power levels.

With no other brands looking likely to launch new utes in the near future, Ford have a chance to make a real impact with the new Ranger. They could potentially beat Toyota to market with a Hybrid power-train and make a big statement. I just hope Ford don't hold anything back with the new Ranger, as I said, they have the chance to really lift the segment beyond what is already offered.

This is the power-train lineup I would like to see -

- A low power, 125 kW 2.0 diesel to replace the old 2.2. This would be standard in XL and XLS.

- A higher power, 160 kW 2.0 diesel to replace the old 3.2. This would be standard in XLT, optional in XLS.

- A 3.0 V6 diesel. This would be standard in Wildtrack and Raptor, optional in the XLT.

- A Hybrid of some form, 2.3 petrol perhaps. Optional on all dual cabs, bar Raptor.

A 2.7 Ecoboost V6 I guess would be nice on the Raptor, although I tend to doubt it's popularity beyond the world of internet forums.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #152
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
With the Ford Powerstroke V6 now being dropped from the F150, the only vehicle in the Ford world fitted with that engine, are we wrongly assuming the Ranger would use the Powerstroke? It's not really Fords style these days to produce an engine for one product line. Think about how many Ford models are fitted with a 2.0 or 2.3 Ecoboost.

Remember VW are twinning the Ranger with the Amorok. And VW make 3.0 V6 diesels for a variety of VW and Audi products. Perhaps this will be the VW contribution to the marriage? If so, this would give Ford access to a variety of power levels.
Great point!

Though VW have been pulling their investment in Diesels after the fallout of dieselgate. Their Diesel platforms, whilst more potent than Powerstroke, are aging platforms as well.

The 4.0 V8 from the Touareg would be nice in a Raptor! 900 Nm and 310kw!

Last edited by kypez; 22-07-2021 at 07:19 PM.
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #153
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Great point!

Though VW have been pulling their investment in Diesels after the fallout of dieselgate. Their Diesel platforms, whilst more potent than Powerstroke, are aging platforms as well.

The 4.0 V8 from the Touareg would be nice in a Raptor! 900 Nm and 310kw!
True, but along with Ranger, Everest and Amarok, having a few key Audi and VW products with that engine would make the volumes add up better. There will still be demand for diesel in products like the Audi Q7 and VW Touareg.
Mustang GT

Old 22-07-2021, 08:42 PM   #154
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

With no other brands looking likely to launch new utes in the near future, Ford have a chance to make a real impact with the new Ranger. They could potentially beat Toyota to market with a Hybrid power-train and make a big statement. I just hope Ford don't hold anything back with the new Ranger, as I said, they have the chance to really lift the segment beyond what is already offered.

- A low power, 125 kW 2.0 diesel to replace the old 2.2. This would be standard in XL and XLS.

- A higher power, 160 kW 2.0 diesel to replace the old 3.2. This would be standard in XLT, optional in XLS.

- A 3.0 V6 diesel. This would be standard in Wildtrack and Raptor, optional in the XLT.

- A Hybrid of some form, 2.3 petrol perhaps. Optional on all dual cabs, bar Raptor.

A 2.7 Ecoboost V6 I guess would be nice on the Raptor, although I tend to doubt it's popularity beyond the world of internet forums.
Ford would rather run no engine, than stick a vw one under the hood.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #155
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

VW is outsourcing next Amarok from Ford, they are not contributing anything beyond body style.

Also thought that single turbo 135 kw 2.0 TD had already repplaced 2.2 Puma as base engine
but it looks like price list for 2021 still says 2.2 diesel as base.

Ford will need a non-diesel Ranger strategy for Europe as legislation is moving fast
to make diesel anti-social….surely, there’s gotta be a hybrid in planning….
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #156
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Does anyone know where the Powerstroke V6 is made.

I guess Ford are expecting there to be significant volume with this engine across Ranger/Everest for them to continue making it despite loosing volume via F-150.

And Ford, if you are reading, please please please make the Powerstroke available in a single cab chassis, would love to update my PX II with this spec. Getting pretty tired of the gutless 2.2.
Mustang GT

Old 22-07-2021, 10:15 PM   #157
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:

I would have thought the 2.0 would be be the base engine for XL and XLS. Then the 3.0 for XLT and above. Plus a hybrid.

Then wishful thinking would be an Ecoboost for Raptor as an option above the Powerstroke.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2021, 11:03 PM   #158
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Does anyone know where the Powerstroke V6 is made.

I guess Ford are expecting there to be significant volume with this engine across Ranger/Everest for them to continue making it despite loosing volume via F-150.
I answered this about 5 posts ago. Pretty sure its made in the bridgend plant in the uk.

And i reckon they would have sold bugger all in the f series. Would have been a pretty rare engine option.
Old 22-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #159
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Americans hate diesel engines so no surprise there that the light duty models like RAM/Silverado 1500 and F150 sell bugger all diesels in comparison to their unleaded equivalents.

I don't think the Silverado 1500 even has a diesel option.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-07-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2021, 11:25 PM   #160
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I answered this about 5 posts ago. Pretty sure its made in the bridgend plant in the uk.

And i reckon they would have sold bugger all in the f series. Would have been a pretty rare engine option.
Ah, right you are, sorry I missed that post.

On a general note, how good is it that Ford is listening to customers who have requested a larger engine. A smooth V6 will transform the Ranger and Everest, especially the Everest as a touring vehicle and perhaps win customers from the 4 cylinder only Prado.
Mustang GT

Old 22-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #161
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Ah, right you are, sorry I missed that post.

On a general note, how good is it that Ford is listening to customers who have requested a larger engine. A smooth V6 will transform the Ranger and Everest, especially the Everest as a touring vehicle and perhaps win customers from the 4 cylinder only Prado.
Is it confined? Thought this was all speculation.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 23-07-2021, 01:18 AM   #162
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

For some background, in the US this last week petrol has averaged 83c/L and diesel 86c/L and while large V8's and turbo 6's rule their ute/truck market any benefit of improved economy from a diesel is not such a big deal when fuel costs are so much lower than here.
And on some F-150 models the V8 is a $800 option while the
V6 3.5L Ecoboost is a $1400 option, and the
V6 3.0L V6 diesel Power stroke is a $3800 option and the
Hybrid Power boost is $3300 extra.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 23-07-2021 at 01:25 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #163
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
For some background, in the US this last week petrol has averaged 83c/L and diesel 86c/L and while large V8's and turbo 6's rule their ute/truck market any benefit of improved economy from a diesel is not such a big deal when fuel costs are so much lower than here.
And on some F-150 models the V8 is a $800 option while the
V6 3.5L Ecoboost is a $1400 option, and the
V6 3.0L V6 diesel Power stroke is a $3800 option and the
Hybrid Power boost is $3300 extra.

lets see what price tag Ford Australia give the Power stroke Ranger
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #164
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Once EV road tax hits the market & the costs of a re-charge, we'll see the honesty of the ev-V-ice market then.
At the moment in this country Coal fired power and ice transport is propping up ev & renewable power by a huge margin.
Then, wait another 20yrs and add the replacement cost of renewable infrastructure to the costs, not least of which the cost of disposal of billions of tons of degraded ev junk almost none of which has been discussed in any meaningful way.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #165
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Once EV road tax hits the market & the costs of a re-charge, we'll see the honesty of the ev-V-ice market then.
At the moment in this country Coal fired power and ice transport is propping up ev & renewable power by a huge margin.
Then, wait another 20yrs and add the replacement cost of renewable infrastructure to the costs, not least of which the cost of disposal of billions of tons of degraded ev junk almost none of which has been discussed in any meaningful way.
Literally everything you have just said has been discussed and disproven on numerous threads in this forum. Such a poorly researched comment.

But this has nothing to do with the Ranger/Everest Ideas and I don't want a holiday for not staying on topic.
Old 23-07-2021, 05:55 PM   #166
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Dagenham, UK.
Currently, have 3,000 unsold at dealerships in the US, there’s like 20,000 EB V6 and V8s.
Ford made the things but then made damn sure buyers never heard about them.
Americans are addicted to horsepower, the 3.0 diesel made no sense in US market.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-07-2021 at 06:00 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 06:02 PM   #167
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Americans hate diesel engines so no surprise there that the light duty models like RAM/Silverado 1500 and F150 sell bugger all diesels in comparison to their unleaded equivalents.

I don't think the Silverado 1500 even has a diesel option.
Yes it does, GM built a brand new alloy block 3.0 I-6, press raved over it 31 mpg highway
but you guessed it, SFA buy it…..

Internet pressed Ford and GM Ford diesels in F150 and Silverado 1500, had to be a winner…..
Unfortunately, the real world of vehicle sales is a very different place, buyers like gasoline engines.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-07-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 23-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #168
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Does the Ranger also go through the same durability tests that an F150 goes through?
yes. there is only one light truck durability test in Ford and Ranger goes through the exact same test that all F-trucks do. In fact we spent a huge amount of money replicating one of the events from MPG at YYPG
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #169
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. The F series has some awesome tech on their cars. Heated and Cooled seats, massage options, usable second row if you're over 6 feet tall (183cms in new money), memory seats, blind spot indicators, air suspension (some models), the list goes on. The engine is only a small part of the equation.
Like I said. PX4 is going to be a significant jump in tech. without the crappy US build quality
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #170
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why do 95% of the work then drop the ball on the last part of it (engine)?
because 95% of the purchasers don't give a **** and the existing powertrains are perfectly fine for them.
Old 23-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #171
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is true. Its annoying that they don't seem to develop engines along with a new platform. The platform is made to work with an engine.
I don't know how other OEMs work but generally Ford develop engines and platforms in parallel, with the engine timing only slightly ahead of the platform timing. So the spec of the new engine is known by the time the platfom geometry starts to get locked iiin

It's also worth noting that the 3.2 in the outgoing model is not the same as the one it launched with in PX1. To my knowledge there have been at least three updates to that engine during the life of T6
Old 23-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #172
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I don't know how other OEMs work but generally Ford develop engines and platforms in parallel, with the engine timing only slightly ahead of the platform timing. So the spec of the new engine is known by the time the platfom geometry starts to get locked iiin

It's also worth noting that the 3.2 in the outgoing model is not the same as the one it launched with in PX1. To my knowledge there have been at least three updates to that engine during the life of T6
If there were updates, they were maybe emissions related as power stayed a constant 147kw (143 Everest) and 470Nm for the 3.2 since PX1.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 23-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #173
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The turbos are different between PX and PXII.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #174
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The turbos are different between PX and PXII.
And then, the Americanised version of 3.2 in their Transit, had much better NOX
with little or no loss of power and torque (US Transit power figures rated like Super Duty).

V6 Powerstroke having no other applications only exists because of Ranger and Everest.
Does that give the T6 team freedom to request single and twin turbo versions?
Old 24-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #175
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
because 95% of the purchasers don't give a **** and the existing powertrains are perfectly fine for them.
Yep as I said earlier, no initiative, no drive for improvement.

If it wasn't for car manufacturers hands being forced into improvements, we'd still be driving cars with carbs and 3 speed autos.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 01:00 AM   #176
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep as I said earlier, no initiative, no drive for improvement.

If it wasn't for car manufacturers hands being forced into improvements, we'd still be driving cars with carbs and 3 speed autos.
I think that’s a little unfair, the 2.0 diesel has proven to be a good replacement for the 3.2 diesel but………
While they’ve done an excellent job of delivering a super efficient engine the missing part of the puzzle
has always been that excess of power and torque that a good percentage of those +$60k Ute buyers crave.
If Ford wants to make even more money, those hp V engines are the key.
Old 24-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #177
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing they are sharing the platform with VW could they have used their Diesel from the Amarok?
Isn't it a de-tuned version from the higher end cars in their companies fleet?
Way more potential for 'Raptor' like performance.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #178
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Seeing they are sharing the platform with VW could they have used their Diesel from the Amarok?
Using a VW diesel after dieselgate is like putting a giant s**t stain on your product…..
$30 billion loss over dieselgate is the reason why Ford is making Transits and Rangers for VW….

Last edited by jpd80; 24-07-2021 at 02:33 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #179
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those VAG 3.0 V6 diesels are a neat bit of kit though. A mate has an Audi SQ5 and seat of pants feels as quick as a stock fg turbo. Doesn’t sound or feel like a diesel either thats for sure. Hopefully the powerstroke can offer something similar. Very keen on a new Everest but will all depend on what’s offered under the hood. After years and years of ownership I’m tired of slow diesel 4x4’s.
I still want another 4x4 in either a dual cab or a wagon but this time Im hanging out for something that performs much better than the norm.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #180
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Isn't it a de-tuned version from the higher end cars in their companies fleet?
Way more potential for 'Raptor' like performance.
Not really sharing the platform. Ford are doing just about the whole program, and even building them alongside ranger. The vw will just be mildly different to look at.

VW are getting out of ICE rather quickly. That v6 will be gone soon enough. Not viable to use it going forward.