Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default Replacing Intake Manifold Gasket

My AU2 XR6 Ute (VCT) has developed a rough idle and a bad miss just off idel / under load. Clears out fine with a few revs. It is also hard to start when cold.

I have replaced coil, leads and plugs (leads and plugs twice thinking they were faulty) and had the injectors cleaned, to no avail.

I am thinking it is the intake manifold gasket, as I have read on here that it is quite common.

I have sprayed aerostart all around the intake manifold with the engine idling, but didn't notice any change. Could the gasket still be faulty?

Is there a good thread on here showing how to replace the gasket? Is it a big job?

Thanks, Mark

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Replacing Intake Manifold Gasket

when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 29-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
xp_wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
About 20,000km ago. I haven't checked fuel pressure either, waiting on a mate with the equipment to give me a hand. Could it be the fuel pump?
Old 29-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
TheSly1

Changing the Intake Manifold gasket isnt that big of a job, you just need the right tools to make it easier.

Ratchet spanners will make things a ******** easier, also a stubby ratchet spanner on the back bolts up near the coil pack i think it was, is REALLY recommended.
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If the areostart made no difference, then I'd guess it's not that gasket.

Just use a 10mm and tighten (gently) all the bolts on the manifold you can get to anyway. Good insurance.

Have you cleaned the IAC?

Cleaning IAC/ISC Valve

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
xp_wannabe

The last 3 mechanics I have spoken to have all told me to compression test the engine, because they reckon it could be the head gasket (even though it doesnt get hot and doesnt use water), so, I have just finished doing just that.

The compression tester I was using is meant to be used on motorbikes, and I couldnt tighten it down properly in the plug holes. Anyway, here is what I got:

Cyl 1: 200psi
Cyl 2: 210psi
Cyl 3: 190psi
Cyl 4: 180psi
Cyl 5: 180psi
Cyl 6: 210psi

On cyls 4 & 5, the compression was still going up when we stopped cranking, but we had to stop because the threads were coming out.

I think the head gasket is fine.

I am convinced I can hear a loud hiss coming from the intake manifold gasket at cyl 5 on idle, that goes away as you rev it.

I will clean the IAC valve, and replace the fuel filter. If that doesnt work, think im just gonna hook in and replace the intake gasket.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe
I will clean the IAC valve, and replace the fuel filter. If that doesnt work, think im just gonna hook in and replace the intake gasket.

Thoughts?

Won't hurt and they are both simple enough to do. The fuel filter nuts will be darn tight I'm tipping!

Then go for the gasket as you've said.

Keep us posted.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
xp_wannabe

Why do you say that GK? I have replaced it regularly, last time was about 20000km ago.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

I thought I was going to snap something last time I undid the fuel filter! LOL!

Thank God it wasn't my gut!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 26-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
xp_wannabe

Some mates and I got stuck in and replaced the intake manifold gasket on Saturday arve, ute purrs like a kitten again now...

All the bolts holding the inlet manifold on were loose, and the old gasket just crumbled and fell away.

Took us about 2 hours all up, but if the engine wasn't hot, and we didnt drink so many beers, it wouldve been alot quicker!

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 26-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Well done on resolving the miss & rough idle it can be a pita lol! i went through all the usual stuff/money trying to sort out a slight miss at idle in my i6 intech.There are ways to check which parts are faulty without spending money on parts you dont need, lol! I learned alot through that period thats for sure!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
Blr
Starter Motor

Hi all I just replaced the intake manifold gasket on our ford au straight 6 and it was running like a dream. Took it for a good drive yesterday with out a hitch. The wife started it up this morning and it was running rough like its starving or not firing right. Any idears anyone?
Blr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Did you reset the battery? The ecu probably needs relearning.

cheer's Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
Blr
Starter Motor

Thanks MAKA I will give it a go. Hopefully that's all it is.
Seems strange that it ran so sweetly till it sat over night and then the problem presented itself. I'll let u know how I go.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #15
xp_wannabe

Go over the bolts again, some of them may have worked loose after the heat cycle
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Blr
Starter Motor

So I reset the battery and went over the bolts. No change in problem. Car dose seem to run a bit better when idling until I take off and it seems like it's got a miss in one of the cylinders.
Old 14-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi there, the ecu will take about a week or two to relearn. If not better after the relearn period, give it a full service & go from there. Get a ecu scan & see what codes are about. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Old 12-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #18
DA_TERMINATOR
MysTiC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe View Post
My AU2 XR6 Ute (VCT) has developed a rough idle and a bad miss just off idel / under load. Clears out fine with a few revs. It is also hard to start when cold.

I have replaced coil, leads and plugs (leads and plugs twice thinking they were faulty) and had the injectors cleaned, to no avail.

I am thinking it is the intake manifold gasket, as I have read on here that it is quite common.

I have sprayed aerostart all around the intake manifold with the engine idling, but didn't notice any change. Could the gasket still be faulty?

Is there a good thread on here showing how to replace the gasket? Is it a big job?

Thanks, Mark
How did you go with the gasket replacement.

3rd Car,
hoping and still looking, XR50T or FPV F6

2nd Car, sold 2010 Ford Falcon XR6 FG in ~ Mystic ~
4.0L 6 Cyl. N/Asp Eng. 5-Spd ZF Auto

1st Car, sold 2007 Ford Fairmont Ghia MkII BF in ~ Flare ~
4.0L 6 Cyl. N/Asp Eng. 6-Spd ZF Auto
DA_TERMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post