Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #661
Hell Cat

Default Re: New to cycling

One of my oldies that I ride every so often is 42-19. I take it up mount coot-tha every so often & it KILLS me.

People pass me like im standing still.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #662
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat
One of my oldies that I ride every so often is 42-19. I take it up mount coot-tha every so often & it KILLS me.

People pass me like im standing still.
That's a big climb, Hell Cat! My old Pajero used to overheat the gearbox driving up there!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #663
TZENU
XY Driv3r

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lanc...-usada-charges

I hope the USADA are satisfied now; they got their man,...

I still to this day believe he is innocent even though he stopped fighting the charges to clear his name
Old 24-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #664
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I have mixed feelings about this but believe somebody is out to get him for sure and would not rest until they did

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #665
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think it was a witch hunt. But if there is proof there is proof, you still cant take the time he had on the podium away.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #666
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

My Latest acquisition

Old 26-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #667
HLC
Audi S3

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #668
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

just a little update.

Last weekend, I killed my RD on a local group ride in the country.

To put it short, the rear derailleur, chain, hanger is cactus. Not sure how it happened or why but it lunched itself on the flat after an up gear change doing about 25kph, popped the chain off the cassette and wedged itself between the spokes and bottom gear, locking the back wheel up and tearing the RD off the hanger which ultimately then wrapped itself around the cassette with a twisted chain and ending up in a mess. It all happened within a few seconds and I had to think quick as I couldnt pedal, the bike was pulling up fast and and I was still locked in to the cleats, so pretty much fishtailed it to a stopped and ended up getting my left foot out in time to get my balance. It could have ended worse. Lucky it was on the home stretch of the ride.

The bike is at the bike station now (where I bought it from) and is still under warranty. Hoping to have it back by the weekend pending no frame damage.

I expected better from Shimano Ultegra groupsets.

Will report more later

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #669
Hell Cat

That would be from wrongly adjusted limit screws or also possibly a sticky free hub
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #670
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow, wtf happened there??

I have all ultegra rear components and no issues at all *touch wood*
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #671
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I don't know as I am not a bike mechanic.

Just got off the phone with the bike shop about it. I wasn't on the phone a long time so the conversation was brief due to my frustration. Anyway, in a nut shell, the bike shop will not warranty the damaged components or anything else it damaged due to Shimano themselves claiming it wasn't their component that failed.

I fail to see how me changing gear and the gears not doing what they are designed to do, not in any way showing some form of accountability.

I do not touch gears, I dont even adjust brakes because I value my warranty that highly.

Really disappointed with my bike shop whom I held in high regard, and Shimano under the same banner.

Again, what had happened was, I was accelerating and got to about 25kph, up shifted to the next gear and then heard crunch followed by my legs stopping and the back wheel locked. I did nothing else to cause or inhibit the gearing to change.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #672
Hell Cat

How old is the bike? That sort of damage only happens from crashing or in your case the gears not being tuned properly & the chain over shifting ino the spokes.

It's not a shimano warranty, it's more to do with the adjustment of the gears so the bike shop should be covering it.

(I work in bike shops & the past 3 years ran my own bike servicing business)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #673
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wrongly adjusted limit screws would have shown up before this I would think, basically when the biggest gear was selected for the first time.

I had a similar thing happen to me once on my old mountain bike, but it was caused by a chain failure, a link opened up and caught on the rear derailleur, pulling it into the spokes and then grabbing and bending it more.

many people have a habit of lying there bike down or leaning it against a wall etc on the right side, this can bend the rear hanger and put the adjustment out.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #674
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Mate, I am SUPER careful on how I lean my bike. 99% of the time its leaned up against my wall in my lounge via the handle bars and/or saddle.

Anyway, this happened after 30km of riding, you would think that a bent hanger would cause problems well before then.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #675
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
How old is the bike? That sort of damage only happens from crashing or in your case the gears not being tuned properly & the chain over shifting ino the spokes.

It's not a shimano warranty, it's more to do with the adjustment of the gears so the bike shop should be covering it.

(I work in bike shops & the past 3 years ran my own bike servicing business)
The bike is 5 months old. Bought back in April of this year.

Regardless, this is what I found online regarding Shimano components.
http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/co...y%20Policy.pdf

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #676
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I destroyed one once by not checking my bike before I got on it and hammered down the driveway.. Only got about 1 meter because the bike was leaning near a basket of washing and a sock was laying on the chain lmao. End result was a snapped in half top of range Shimano derailleur. Be wary of socks..
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #677
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I destroyed one once by not checking my bike before I got on it and hammered down the driveway.. Only got about 1 meter because the bike was leaning near a basket of washing and a sock was laying on the chain lmao. End result was a snapped in half top of range Shimano derailleur. Be wary of socks..
That's what should have happened to me if the RD was bent like that too. Something tells me its got something to do with the adjustment, or lack of adjustment made to the RD in the first place. But in saying that, this is considered catastrophic failure of a component possibly due to the chain jumping a cog?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #678
79FordEsky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just reading through a few of the last couple pages of posts, some nice bikes I have a bikes, but recently got my RD bike back from rebuild it is a early 1970s alloy frame Australian made, Its nice I have new alloy handle bars, new quick release brakes and new cables, now have a better de-railer and rear 7 speed gog all light weight just need to get another set of cranks light weight and new toe in pedals(My ones snapped (plastic) going fast hit a litte hole then bang). Can anyone tell me where i can get a set of toe in pedals that are light weight.

My Survivor 1 owner XC Wagon
Check it Out
79FordEsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #679
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval

Anyway, this happened after 30km of riding, you would think that a bent hanger would cause problems well before then.

Yeap a slightly warped hanger will cause dramas instantly. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes mate, especially after you've spent decent coin on a good rig... I would certainly be taking it further.

Did you have the bike serviced recently?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #680
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Yeap a slightly warped hanger will cause dramas instantly. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes mate, especially after you've spent decent coin on a good rig... I would certainly be taking it further.

Did you have the bike serviced recently?
No it was going to go in for one this week though. In heinz sight it should have been last week.

Just an update. Copy&pasted from forum.

Ok. Just saw ####. He couldnt give me a clear answer and put it down to something getting caught in the chain pink and forcing the chain off the RD and causing the havoc. I didnt get angry. I wasnt pointing fingers but i did state i was very disappointed that something pike this happens on a 5 month old bike with no explanation.He said he called both shimano and focus and both of them were interested in owning up. Stated that its too hard tp pin point the actual cause. Had it have been a link broken in the chain then something could be done. But based on what i was fed, it was some mystical fairy that came up and farted on the chain which caused it.That said. Still disappointed with the whole scenario but the bike is ready and looks good as new. Also i picked up my old damaged parts and took some close ups which ill post up later.What will i do now? Well i gotta think about it. Speak to velosure tomorrow. See if they can cover the damage and then issue a claim.Should i fight it? I could but in saying that, how much time, effort and money do i need to spend to prove a point? In saying that, noel showed me 2 other bikes with similar issues and damage both having to pay put of their own pockets. The chance of me winning could take months to prove and i make enemies in the mean time. Not the way i handle situations.Will i go back? Well that depends on the nature of what reason i need to go back. I could sit here and ***** and moan about how hard done by i am and life isnt fair, but again that is not the way i do things or view life. I think i need to put this down to experience and move on.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #681
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

That's bad news Shav - you would think that the drive components on the bike are built to take more force than our legs can throw at them.

The RD would have to have gone WAY out of line to twist up like that under load. I'd be thinking it was component failure - you'll have to post up some close ups of the damaged parts.

Good luck with it...

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #682
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Will do mate.

Have a read of my blog for some more in depth discussion about it if you have the time. The stuff about the damage starts from page 2 on.

http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/prof...logs/my-bike-1

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #683
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Picking up my bike today. Looking forward to getting it back and getting on with riding.

I would just like to say that even though in my above post it looks as if im blaming the lbs for not covering the bike under warranty, it was explained to me that the cause and fault of the damage was too hard to pin point to any one person, therefore it falls back on me to pay for the damage and move on.

I want to state that i while i was disappointed with the outcome, i cannot point my finger at any one person and that i will be taking this experience on the chin should this type of incident occurs again.

Let this be a warning to all to get your chain checked and your f&r derailleur serviced and checked regularly. Do not assume your warranty covers all.

Looking forward to doing some miles this weekend.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #684
TZENU
XY Driv3r

How's the bike going now Shav ???
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #685
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Bike is back together now mate. Looks the goods. New RD, chain and wheel. Wheel cost the most.

Anyway, a little story yesterday. I woke up Sunday morning ready to attend a group ride up willunga hill. Pumped up my tires to 120psi. Thinking that should be ok for uphills. Sat down for breakfast and then heard this loud bang like a gunshot. Walked over to my bike spotted the rear tire flat minutes before i was to be picked up by andrew. Andrew (my mate) helped me rush and change the tube with my only spare. I get to mclaren vale everyone is already there and waiting, we set off and about 2km in and i hear this scuffing, i immediately stop only to pull up and another bang goes off. This time its worse, side wall of conti gatorskins rips from its beading. Making riding any further non existant. Pretty much walked the 2 km back and rang another mate for a lift home.

New RD

picture of the split in side wall beading.

Got changed, came back down to oxygen cycles in Mclaren Vale and ended up buying 2 new specialized 'all season' armadillo elite tires and 3 vittoria tubes. Hoping these will end my pain.

Shot of new tires

Took the bike for a quick spin around my block this morning as it got too dark last night to test the bike out. Took me over an hour to change both tires and tubes over btw. Finding that the bike feels slightly quicker with the new rubber. Could be placebo. Anyway I hope this is the last of my bad luck and more time actually in the saddle enjoying my bike rather than forking out cash hand over fist fixing it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #686
HLC
Audi S3

Shav, we're you 'cross-chaining' when your RD blew up?? Ie, big chainring / big sprocket? Looks like the chain has over shifted into the spokes, then because the chain has seized, it'll bring the RD up around and bend the hanger until something seizes..

A chain pin may have started coming loose as well and as soon as it came out far enough to catch on the RD, the result would be the same.

To me it looks like cross-chaining though. An expensive lesson to learn.

Gators are crap too. I only use them on my fixed gear because they last a while. But it's with great resentment, I'd use something else if I could find something that lasted half as long due to the ridiculous amount of skidding I do.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #687
blueoval
Critical Thinker

i just hope it doesnt happen again regardless of the cause.

any way to avoid cross chaining?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 16-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #688
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to cross chain a lot a while back, never had any issues with gear adjustment because of it though, my understanding of it is it will just wear the chain and gears a little quicker due to the side load on the chain and teeth

Old 16-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #689
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That would be from wrongly adjusted limit screws or also possibly a sticky free hub
Yep wrongly adjusted limit screw,when you clicked down the gear.

the wheels dont have a chain guard so it very important its adusted right.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #690
blueoval
Critical Thinker

thanks guys. I'll be taking the bike back for an adjustment this week since the RD and chain are new. I'll let the guys know I want it properly adjusted to avoid this being a problem in future. I can live with higher wear if it means Im safe in the saddle.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont