Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Spark plug question?

by putting new plugs in a car could it show up a fault in leads/coils/02 sensors? what i mean is the car is running fine with all the old stuff, but by putting in the new plugs it runs rough?

im asking because i have been told this by a Ford dealership service department.

amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'd doubt it. Have you got a scan tool to read the codes with? I used my scantool on my car last week, and pulled codes for the injectors on all 6 cylinders - didn't affect the running of the car though.

If it's not running well on the new stuff, it suggests the plug leads are not quite connected to the plugs properly (or the coil pack).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

You havent damaged a plug upon reinstalling them have you,otherwise^^^.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as i have said in my other thread, all i did was change the plugs and it will not idle above 400-450 and sometimes cuts out. before the plugs it ran like a dream. i have checked all the plugs, infact went and got another set!

im running out of ideas. at this point im going to go and buy new coils, leads and 02's i have never come across anything like this in 30 years of working on cars!!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
as i have said in my other thread, all i did was change the plugs and it will not idle above 400-450 and sometimes cuts out. before the plugs it ran like a dream. i have checked all the plugs, infact went and got another set!

im running out of ideas. at this point im going to go and buy new coils, leads and 02's i have never come across anything like this in 30 years of working on cars!!!!!
Somethings amiss here. Forgive me for going over the basics.

The plugs are exactly the same as you had previous right? Heat range and gaps the same? If so something's really odd.

Put the old plugs back in. If they work okay, then you know it's the plugs right?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Somethings amiss here. Forgive me for going over the basics.

The plugs are exactly the same as you had previous right? Heat range and gaps the same? If so something's really odd.

Put the old plugs back in. If they work okay, then you know it's the plugs right?

GK

you can say that again! no i didnt get the chance to put the old plugs back in, it was bin day and they were gone!

i went to a lower heat range/ gap plug for the lpg, with those in it wouldnt idle at all. so i gaped them from 0.8 to 1.1 it idled but still very low and fluctuating. so i went and got the exact same plugs that came out and the same gap. and here we are. mind you at one point it went back to normal for about 10 minutes, i didnt touch anything it just started running properly. i then took it for a drive and after about 1 k it started to miss. i brought it home checked all the leads again and went back out. the miss was gone but under acceleration you could feel it surging, got it home and the idle was back to 400.

work that out! P.S the only odd thing was i flattened the battery with all the winding over and since then it goes flat in a day or 2, but i also havent driven the car to charge it properly. when i have run it trying to find the problem it charges up enough to start it a few times.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
no i didnt get the chance to put the old plugs back in, it was bin day and they were gone!
30 years of working on cars and you haven't learnt to keep the old stuff?
I always keep my old air filter, plugs and leads, rad cap, etc, and soooo many occasions have they come in handy solving all manner of weird and obscure problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
P.S the only odd thing was i flattened the battery with all the winding over and since then it goes flat in a day or 2, but i also havent driven the car to charge it properly. when i have run it trying to find the problem it charges up enough to start it a few times.
Was the battery disconnected at all?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
30 years of working on cars and you haven't learnt to keep the old stuff?
I always keep my old air filter, plugs and leads, rad cap, etc, and soooo many occasions have they come in handy solving all manner of weird and obscure problems.
i know! anyother time i do. however just changing the plugs!!!!!

Was the battery disconnected at all?

GK

yes and i have done an ecu reset
Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Go and get a new set of leads.Youve damaged one.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i suppose the only other thing i touched was the plug leads. so thats where i will start.

now what leads to get? i have been told QLD ignition leads are good. i also saw these on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-AU-Facl...=item439b27abf9 and have been told genuine leads are good. my leads have a fiber ttpe sleeve over them, should i swap those over?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

One other question.Did you install ngk plugs both times?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #13
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well they are the only other thing i touched. so i will start there.

i have been told QLD ingnition leads are good for duel fuel? or genuine leads, i saw these on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-AU-Faclo...item439b27abf9 thoughts?

also my leads have a fiber sort of heat sleeve on them, should i swap these over or go with whatever the new leads have?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 vote stav has it pegged
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
One other question.Did you install ngk plugs both times?

yes. sorry to all for the double post. :togo:
Old 06-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

If its not the leads try some bosch plugs.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
i have been told QLD ingnition leads are good for duel fuel?
Correct. Go for a nice drive up to kallangur and get old mate greggy martin to fit em up for ya
Old 17-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, put new leads on. car drives like new, but still wont idle above 400 rpm. any more suggestions?
Old 17-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

Ok..remove throttle body and clean the throttle plate..top bottom and idle speed controlller. This has to fix it!!If not do another battery reset.

Old 18-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

done the throttle body and isc and done a ecu reset. checked the whole engine bay for vacum leaks. i just cant believe this when all i did was change the plugs!

the only thing i can think of now is that as the car hadnt been tuned in 3 years and had sat not used for a year, i have put new plugs in and other things that are old arent working with the new. like im sure the 02 sensors are stuffed.

the only other drama im having at the moment is the battery, it is stuffed from all the starting, but it does take charge when i test drive the car after i have checked things. the low idle was there before the battery played up so i think im grasping at straws.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
done the throttle body and isc and done a ecu reset. checked the whole engine bay for vacum leaks. i just cant believe this when all i did was change the plugs!

the only thing i can think of now is that as the car hadnt been tuned in 3 years and had sat not used for a year, i have put new plugs in and other things that are old arent working with the new. like im sure the 02 sensors are stuffed.

the only other drama im having at the moment is the battery, it is stuffed from all the starting, but it does take charge when i test drive the car after i have checked things. the low idle was there before the battery played up so i think im grasping at straws.
Have you changed coil packs yet or had a scantool put on it to check them for faults?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Have you changed coil packs yet or had a scantool put on it to check them for faults?
no i havent as yet. but why would they be faulty after i changed the plugs?
Old 19-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
no i havent as yet. but why would they be faulty after i changed the plugs?
Could have been all along.
Old 19-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Could have been all along.

dont understand RG. the car ran perfectly, both idle and driving, before i put the plugs in. it drives fine now but when you put it in drive its at about 400rpm. also before like all engines do, you would pull it into drive and when the revs dropped it would idle back up to 650@ and you could feel it, i mean you could feel and hear the isc work, now it just drops and stays.
Old 19-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
dont understand RG. the car ran perfectly, both idle and driving, before i put the plugs in. it drives fine now but when you put it in drive its at about 400rpm. also before like all engines do, you would pull it into drive and when the revs dropped it would idle back up to 650@ and you could feel it, i mean you could feel and hear the isc work, now it just drops and stays.
Hmmmm odd. The coil packs on the V8's are a known issue and only last 80-100k before giving issues.

I take it you are sure you didn't knock anything hard enough and you've checked all connections to dirt/grime build up. You really need to get this thing on a scan tool and see what it is doing and if any fault codes come up.

A dud battery will cause idle issues so a check of the health of it would be an idea too. You did say it sat unused for a year, batteries don't like that.
Old 23-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #26
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New battery today and charge test. still idles at 400. getting a scan during the week