Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
calaway

Default Fuel Consumption - Very Impressed

Just thought I would let you guys know what fuel consumption I just experienced in my new BF Faimont Ghia. I just changed from a BA turbo which, lets just say, fuel consumption was not its best point.

I just drove Melb to Wagga return for work. In the turbo I am sure I would of filled up a couple of times. The way I drive it was next to impossible to get under 10ltr 100k's. The ghia had 600k's on it and I averaged 7.9ltrs for 100k's. As far as I am concerned, amazing. Why Ford doesn't concentrate its marketing on this point I don't know. The six speed auto is an absolute treat. Can't say enough good things about the car. I have driven plenty of different brands and this thing is world class.

calaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, its a good thing. When towing an EF Falcon back from Victoria recently using my BA XR8 I was shocked by how good the mileage was. I won't post what I got because I hardly beleive it myself.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calaway
Just thought I would let you guys know what fuel consumption I just experienced in my new BF Faimont Ghia. I just changed from a BA turbo which, lets just say, fuel consumption was not its best point.

I just drove Melb to Wagga return for work. In the turbo I am sure I would of filled up a couple of times. The way I drive it was next to impossible to get under 10ltr 100k's. The ghia had 600k's on it and I averaged 7.9ltrs for 100k's. As far as I am concerned, amazing. Why Ford doesn't concentrate its marketing on this point I don't know. The six speed auto is an absolute treat. Can't say enough good things about the car. I have driven plenty of different brands and this thing is world class.
They can't cause a 15 year old VP will do the same on highway trips being low tech.
But my brother got well over 700km to a full tank to Queensland from Melbourne last year in his BA Fairmont.
Old 13-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
Yep, its a good thing. When towing an EF Falcon back from Victoria recently using my BA XR8 I was shocked by how good the mileage was. I won't post what I got because I hardly beleive it myself.
Are you being sarcastic? Because i've seen XR8s fuel consumption and lets just say that it has put me off wanting a BA at all!!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
They can't cause a 15 year old VP will do the same on highway trips being low tech.
But my brother got well over 700km to a full tank to Queensland from Melbourne last year in his BA Fairmont.
Mate nothing personal but the VP was carrying around a helluva lot less weight and producing significantly less power....

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Very good.

However, stock 06 B XR6T Ute, Sydney to Canberra and back, 2/3 of a tank. :

In my BA i would have to fill up at Marulan.

110km's p/hr and still not on teh boost... : : .

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
calaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Are you being sarcastic? Because i've seen XR8s fuel consumption and lets just say that it has put me off wanting a BA at all!!
If I had to pay for the fuel in my old XR6T then I'd be put off as well. Power was great though :

However, I am thoroughly impressed with the fuel consumption so far, considering the car had 600k's it, consumption can only get better. I guess I was only trying to express my like for the way the six speed operates.
Old 13-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

if you drove the turbo granny style was it still thirsty or did you find it impossible to not give the turbo a squirt ?, you did say your style of driving.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Falcon Freak
Banned

My 2003 BA XT V8 gets approximately 16l/100km around town in stop start driving. But on the open highway I have seen it average as low as 10.2l/100km. For a car which weighs over 1,800kg and puts out 220kW I'm not complaining.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Mate nothing personal but the VP was carrying around a helluva lot less weight and producing significantly less power....
not to mention the fact that chassis rigidity in a VP was non-existant
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
calaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Very good.

However, stock 06 B XR6T Ute, Sydney to Canberra and back, 2/3 of a tank. :

In my BA i would have to fill up at Marulan.

110km's p/hr and still not on teh boost... : : .
Agree. BA to BF from where I stand seems to be a big difference in consumption. I personally think that with the new VE coming out this is a point that Ford should be raming home to the general public. I would be also very interested to see real world figures on the camry. I would be very suprised to see the same fuel figures on the open road. ????
Old 13-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
My 2003 BA XT V8 gets approximately 16l/100km around town in stop start driving. But on the open highway I have seen it average as low as 10.2l/100km. For a car which weighs over 1,800kg and puts out 220kW I'm not complaining.

FF
That's pretty impressive! My brother's got a BA XR8 and his average around town (driven reasonably sedately) is 20 litres per 100 or worse, and even on hwy trips only gets down to around 13ish...
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Agree. BA to BF from where I stand seems to be a big difference in consumption. I personally think that with the new VE coming out this is a point that Ford should be raming home to the general public. I would be also very interested to see real world figures on the camry. I would be very suprised to see the same fuel figures on the open road. ????

The early BA's drank it.

Holden is where Ford were in november 02.

I wouldn't mind betting the warranty work done by dealers on teh BF will be pretty big too, and gearboxes..... Hmmm......

never mind, judging from the pics, quick trip to a plastics recycling yard will have all the components they need.... meow... :sm_headba

Old 13-08-2006, 09:31 PM   #14
calaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if you drove the turbo granny style was it still thirsty or did you find it impossible to not give the turbo a squirt ?, you did say your style of driving.
I went to the snow recently. Filled up outside of Melb and had to fill up just off the highway near Wangaratta. Must admit that I didn't pay full attention to fuel use but I wouldn't of travelled 400kms. Thats what was the problem with the XR. Doing approx 2,300rpm at 110kms just uses more fuel than 1600rpm at 110. I would be the first one to admit I'd love to compare the BA 4 speed to the BF XR6T 6 speed.

Gotta say thou didn't give it much of a squirt on the trip.
Old 13-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
I went to the snow recently. Filled up outside of Melb and had to fill up just off the highway near Wangaratta. Must admit that I didn't pay full attention to fuel use but I wouldn't of travelled 400kms. Thats what was the problem with the XR. Doing approx 2,300rpm at 110kms just uses more fuel than 1600rpm at 110. I would be the first one to admit I'd love to compare the BA 4 speed to the BF XR6T 6 speed.

Gotta say thou didn't give it much of a squirt on the trip.
Mate, I have both, BA 4 speed Xr6T, and BF XR6T with ZF.

In the economy stakes, chalk and cheese.

BF is damn good on highway (by maths I should make Sydney to Melbourne on a tank), it's that good.

BA is lucky to make Albury....

Old 13-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #16
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

I averaged 9lt/100k's heading to Townsville a while ago. And thats with the Bullbar on the front.
Old 13-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Sounds great. I was reading in the Herald Sun this morning on how the large cars like the Falcon depreciate so quickly, because of the cost of fuel.
I'm sure this would beat a lot of smaller engined cars, even 4 cylinder cars, which reputedly arent depreciating as much, because they are 4 cylinder!!

Even though mines a BA, I get 10.1 l/100km consistently to work and back in peak hour, and it uses regular ULP. This was a consideration, when I was looking at a Mazda 6, which uses PULP, which I believe overall would've been more expensive to run. I'm happy with my fuel consumption, and wouldnt even consider trading it on a smaller car at this stage.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #18
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
:
Old 14-08-2006, 05:06 AM   #19
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Also with 15 years and at lot less technology on it's side minus a couple of cogs to:(.
The fact it's so good is the torque converter locks in above 80ish like a 5th gear and it revs under 2000rpm over 100.

But the point i was trying to get across is they really can't praise fuel economy when a low tech 15 year old 6 is matching it.
Like Holden couldn't boast about power with the cars after the VN-VP, A VZ 175 is slower then a VN-VP V6.
Old 14-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #20
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Also with 15 years and at lot less technology on it's side minus a couple of cogs to:(.
The fact it's so good is the torque converter locks in above 80ish like a 5th gear and it revs under 2000rpm over 100.

But the point i was trying to get across is they really can't praise fuel economy when a low tech 15 year old 6 is matching it.
Like Holden couldn't boast about power with the cars after the VN-VP, A VZ 175 is slower then a VN-VP V6.
thats all true but far from the point. People buying A BRAND NEW CAR are not going to consider a VP or an EB are they ..??

People want 4000 airbags, hextuple zone climate control, 7mega watt surround sound stereo(with seat shaker and 8 sumboofers(LOL), 19 star euro NCAP rating and heated horn button .... and they like their fuel economy as well.

So you see as good as the VP's fuel economy was it falls over because it doesnt have the above and so is deemed irrelevent.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #21
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

ahahah but we are not talkin about V cars are we now. Will you rack off with that rubbish this is a BA thread not comparing a 1250kg VP with 140ish kw to BA/BFs with 180kw to 260 or more kw in a heavy body.

How can you compare ???
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #22
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Gee some people remember the VP very fondly, with excellent economy and huge power!

Holden Commodore VP
1337Kg
Highway 8.0L Per 100 km
City 12.5L per 100 km

I think the BF falcon beats both of these, under newer and tougher measuring systems while also meeting extremely tough emissions.

Meanwhile the BF makes a explosive 190Kw and 383Nm compared to 127kw /293 Nm of a VP..

Uses *LESS* fuel, makes 49.6% *MORE* power, is unmeasureably safer and more refined.

With the BF, the Falcon is getting 4 cylinder camry economy, while making better than HSV power. In 1991 terms.

In 2006 terms its making class leading power while still getting 4 cylinder camry economy.

Economy wise, if you want a sedan, Falcon is still in the running. While some 4 cylinder and smaller six's do have better economy, its only very slight. On the highway its nothing, infact the BFII might beat a few a 4 cylinder sedans on highway cycle.

If your concerned about fuel economy and you do alot of city driving your not going to buy a sedan anyway, your going to look at very small city cars. Yaris or smaller.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
thats all true but far from the point. People buying A BRAND NEW CAR are not going to consider a VP or an EB are they ..??

People want 4000 airbags, hextuple zone climate control, 7mega watt surround sound stereo(with seat shaker and 8 sumboofers(LOL), 19 star euro NCAP rating and heated horn button .... and they like their fuel economy as well.

So you see as good as the VP's fuel economy was it falls over because it doesnt have the above and so is deemed irrelevent.
But some do come with climate control auto lights Air bags surround sound with 7meg amps and 10000 subs but no heated horn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
ahahah but we are not talkin about V cars are we now. Will you rack off with that rubbish this is a BA thread not comparing a 1250kg VP with 140ish kw to BA/BFs with 180kw to 260 or more kw in a heavy body.

How can you compare ???
I was not comparing them in a direct comparison so settle down.
I was saying how can you advertise great fuel economy when a 15 year old car done the same.
Old 14-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #24
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
I was not comparing them in a direct comparison so settle down.
I was saying how can you advertise great fuel economy when a 15 year old car done the same.
You can advertise it. Quite simply:

I think you can when it combines safety (increased body rigidity etc)
And keep in mind, your using a 3.8L Engine in a 1500Kg Car etc etc.
Having said that, you are comparing Apples to Oranges.
You may as well have just said You can't advertise a falcon having great fuel economy when a Lexus V6 can do X/Km per litre. Or any other 6 cylinder motor which is remotely close to a 4.0L for that fact. Technology has come sooo very far that comparing your VP to a BF Falcon is like comparing the Apollo 11 to a Space Shuttle.
Its good to hear that you can get great economy but this is one comparison the VP can't be bought in to.
Old 14-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You have forgotten something, no one would want to be seen dead in a VP. Although they have something the BF lacks, a built in vibrator doubling as an engine. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #26
YOOT
Banned

I can squeeze juston 800kms from my BA ute which weighs 1900kgs. Of course it has a 80L tank and thats driving it to almost dry (not the best idea). My work car a XT sedan is averaging 700kms a tank at the moment while I am traveling 150km a day on highways. Its averaging 9l/100km (2004 4-speed sedan replaced 62L) and the ute is averaging 9.75l/100km (2005 5-speed ute replaced 78L).

That is good enough for me, but I miss my ED Fairmont, it used to average 7-8L on the highway. Not bad for a much older design (lighter though and the E-series was very aerodynaic suprisingly).
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #27
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
You have forgotten something, no one would want to be seen dead in a VP. Although they have something the BF lacks, a built in vibrator doubling as an engine. :
Mawwwwhahahahahahahahaha.

Really, comparing a VP to a BF is like comparing an eb to a mini moke. They really aren't in the same class. Additionally slick, I think what the guys here are saying is that the real comparison is between current selling Euro3 compliant cars. In this instance falcon is a winner by being so frugal with its fuel consumption.

Quote: