Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Fairmont Man

Default Another opportunity missed by Ford's poor marketing

I've just finished flicking through today’s Herald-Sun, the highest selling daily paper in the country....Where is the Ford ad? You would think that the day after a Ford driver wins the V8 Supercar Championship there would be an ad to say well done, and more importantly, go and buy one of these great cars. Ford miss the mark time after time with their crappy advertising and marketing. It is little wonder that the Commonbore continues to outsell the Falcon, when there is something to shout about and promote, the silence is deafening. The Falcon is and has been for some time a better car but nobody knows about it. Vodafone managed an ad to congratulate Team Vodafone for winning the team prize. Ford should have had an advertisement all ready to go, so as soon as Courtney won the championship it was ready to go in today's paper.

I'm glad I got that off my chest. But seriously to the marketing people at Ford, come on guys, lift your game before the Falcon name fades away. These kinds of promotion opportunities don’t happen all that often, so make the most of it.

Fairmont Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And here we go again.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Are we going to have a complaint every time ford doesn't do something? Whinge, whinge, whinge.

Focus on the good, not the bad.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Also, has Moffat died or something - because I haven't seen or heard him doing anything for FPV. It's been 10 months of nothing since he was appointed FPV's "ambassador".
The brilliant new supercharged 5 litre product might die in the market - due to lack of Ford marketing.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Fairmont Man

I just thought it would have been a good chance to promote something positive for the company.
Fairmont Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Are we going to have a complaint every time ford doesn't do something? Whinge, whinge, whinge.

Focus on the good, not the bad.
This. I'm sure ford has a reason behind everything it does(and doesn't) do, it has no obligation to share it's reasoning with anybody.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont Man
I've just finished flicking through today’s Herald-Sun, the highest selling daily paper in the country....Where is the Ford ad? You would think that the day after a Ford driver wins the V8 Supercar Championship there would be an ad to say well done, and more importantly, go and buy one of these great cars. Ford miss the mark time after time with their crappy advertising and marketing. It is little wonder that the Commonbore continues to outsell the Falcon, when there is something to shout about and promote, the silence is deafening. The Falcon is and has been for some time a better car but nobody knows about it. Vodafone managed an ad to congratulate Team Vodafone for winning the team prize. Ford should have had an advertisement all ready to go, so as soon as Courtney won the championship it was ready to go in today's paper.

I'm glad I got that off my chest. But seriously to the marketing people at Ford, come on guys, lift your game before the Falcon name fades away. These kinds of promotion opportunities don’t happen all that often, so make the most of it.
Realistically anyone who even remotely cares about V8SC is a member of one of the tribes.

Red tribe would not buy Ford if they were free.
Blue tribe, on the other hand, would buy Holden if they were free (because they are smarter than red tribe) but would use them for sporting purposes such as:

Clay covered Commodore shooting.....PULL
World Championship wreSStling
Pin the (bow)tail on the clubsport
Ten Cruise bowling
Biathlon (ski up to a commodore then shoot it)
Pentathlon (run over to a stable, ride a horse to a lake, swim to an island and then stab a holden with a sword before shooting it).
Decathlon (which is just basically running around jumping all over a holden and belting it with a hammer and stabbing it with a javelin unless of course it is a barina in which case it would only be a heptathlon)

and of course fishing. (well boats sometimes drift you know so you need to keep them in one place somehow)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes you have to give holden a congrats, their marketing is in everything, is it any wonder they sell more cars, last week i was looking at a Ford magazine at the news agents, i pull it out of the rack and its got a holden calendar attached to it
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I would agree seeing this...

"Ford, we build winners. Holden buys them"

...would be cool.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Fairmont Man, Every time Ford win something - The Chamionship, Bathurst, whatever - someone makes the same post.
We know that for the most part Ford Marketing are pretty useless, but as was said, not everyone cares about the V8's, and it doesn't make an impact on their sales patterns anymore.

The previous ad showing the Ford with a lions tail hanging out the front intake was very clever though!

Similarly, I got a lovely brochure from The Lions Den with my weekend junkmail, yet I've never seen Ford do anything similar, apart from the odd gift pack in Target.
If you want Ford team merch, you either have to go to an event, or buy it online.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
This. I'm sure ford has a reason behind everything it does(and doesn't) do, it has no obligation to share it's reasoning with anybody.
Well I think they do to every Ford owner in Australia. We trust, buy and spend money on their products. Our business is one reason they operate and run. Also what about shareholders etc. So I think they are obligated to share reasoning
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
stang65
FPRJET

Feathers, I have to disagree with you. When Ford dropped the v8 for however many years it did it lost alot of customer. A generation had grown up seeing Holdens with a V8, Holdens excellent marketing and no v8 from Ford .

Ford know they made a mistake dropping the V8 thats why they brought it back. But Ford can`t expect to gain the loyalty of that generation by winning and not making an issue of it, They need to be doing more in motorsport,better than Holden and for a long period of time.

As has been said Ford America don`t have this problem and maybe we should be asking why doesn`t Ford America offer more cash more motorsport.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Ford Australia do not have a marketing department.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Well I think they do to every Ford owner in Australia. We trust, buy and spend money on their products. Our business is one reason they operate and run. Also what about shareholders etc. So I think they are obligated to share reasoning
No, it really has no obligation to anybody behind it's reasoning for not showing an advert in regards to Fords V8 win. When Holden creates an advert and airs it, it doesn't share it's reasoning behind it (it's pretty obvious why they have adverts but you get my meaning). The same argument was made when the old boss 5.4 was "decommissioned" and the coyote was due for release, but no one knew when. The question was asked, Why isn't it here yet!!! We want answers!!! I posted that for whatever reason ford has been quiet about coyote, it has no obligation to answer questions. When ford is good and ready, it will do what has to be done, tell us about it, and we can talk about it then. Until then, I'm not about to question where the adverts are, there's got to be a reason, we just aren't hearing it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And what makes you think that add will make anyone buy a Falcon??? The whole point of Motorsports is to get people to become brand royal.. Like us, that will by Ford & Ford only. Winning & being involved is all they need.. A waste of money add saying nothing really, is not going to sell one car AT ALL!!

Just my $0.02 cent
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone want to take a stab at what a 30 second prime time commercial might cost to produce and air on national prime time TV? or a page spread in every major paper in Aust?

Ford paid for a massive "commercial" yesterday afternoon that lasted for 3 hrs on Ch7.

There are no ads about winning some motorracing series because it wont sell cars....

Pretty simple really.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

May as well drop out stop sponsorship then...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #18
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I would agree seeing this...

"Ford, we build winners. Holden buys them"

...would be cool.
What is Ford in a V8 supercar? The motor and modified body panels?

This sport is hardly mainstream, you are either on one side or the other and the large car market is pretty much been abandoned by the Australian consumer and Ford alike....
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
and of course fishing. (well boats sometimes drift you know so you need to keep them in one place somehow)
Not quite right there Flappist. You'd pull the motor out and use that as the boat anchor and then use the rest of the car for a nice artificial reef.

As for the marketing, maybe they are saving their pennies for next year when we see the release of EcoBoost and LiLPG in the Falcon and Turbo Diesel in the upgraded/facelifted Territory.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #20
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Also, has Moffat died or something - because I haven't seen or heard him doing anything for FPV. It's been 10 months of nothing since he was appointed FPV's "ambassador".
The brilliant new supercharged 5 litre product might die in the market - due to lack of Ford marketing.
I just saw an ad in a car magazine featuring him - something along the lines of "this us the best muscle car Australia has ever produced"
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
What is Ford in a V8 supercar? The motor and modified body panels?

This sport is hardly mainstream, you are either on one side or the other and the large car market is pretty much been abandoned by the Australian consumer and Ford alike....
Technically I don't think the motors are even "ford" or "Holden". I think they use aftermarket alloy blocks that are based on the Windsor block, so Windsor oil and water galleries etc.
The differentials are based off of 9" diffs(ford diffs) but are alloy and are engineered into IRS setups.
The gearboxes are hollinger sequentials, afaik.
The bodies have custom front and rear bumpers and lexan windows, not glass.
The stickers that plaster all over the cars, and the basic body shape, are all that remain of the original ford or Holden. But anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #22
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Ford Australia do not have a marketing department.
This on so many levels, Holden are number 1 and look like they'll be number 1 for a while.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #23
oranpark addict

Look at it this way boys. Would you rather have a great car with 'dodgy' marketing or a lesser car with excellent marketing (a few people on here would consider the commodore to fit in to this category, and to be an inferior product).

On a slightly related note I must pose a question and maybe we could get a poll going about this. But I don't think that would be neccessary because I can recall a similar poll.

'What would you drive if there wasn't the ford and falcon you know?'
oranpark addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Older Toyota or Nissan, rwd obviously, or BMW mid 90's. Would consider a commodore if I couldn't afford the others.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

All the knockers of Fords strategy, where can I see the ads for your multinational car company? Oh whats that, you dont have one? Funny, ford does.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
What is Ford in a V8 supercar? The motor and modified body panels?.....
The V8 supercars are pretty well nothing like the road cars. I think the parts
in common are headlamps, shape of some panels, wing mirrors and tail
lights.... that's it. These cars are more like each other than their respective
brands.

Some info from Wikipedia:

Bodywork:
.....V8 Supercar granted the Commodore a custom fabricated bodyshell into
which a limited number of production bodyshell panels are incorporated. As
a result, the roofline is lower than production and the rear door is shorter
such that externally the rear doors, roof and rear quarters all consist of
specialised custom coachwork panels.

Similarly, the longer wheelbase of the FG Falcon (over the BF) requires a
comparable custom-fabricated shorter body, and the FG is also shorted in
the rear door and lowered in the roof line compared to the road going model.

Engines:
Every car uses either a 5.0 L Ford "Boss 302" SVO or a 5.0 L Chevrolet small
block race-engine (depending on the make) - capable of producing between 460 and
485 kW (620 — 650 bhp) of power, but generally quoted as a little
over 450 kW (600 bhp) in race trim. Engines have pushrod actuated valves
and electronic fuel injection. Both Ford and Holden engines are based on
racing engines from their respective US parent companies. Engines are
electronically restricted to 7,500 rpm. Broadly speaking, the engines have a
capacity of 5 litres, with 2 valves per cylinder. Compression ratio is
regulated to 10:1.

For more info, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_Supercars
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #27
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Red tribe would not buy Ford if they were free.
Blue tribe, on the other hand, would buy Holden if they were free (because they are smarter than red tribe) but would use them for sporting purposes such as:
"Red tribe would not BUY Ford if they were FREE" that seems the smart thing to do, why hand over money for something thats free.....??

"Blue tribe, on the other hand, would BUY Holden if they were FREE" that doesen't seem very smart to me, again, why hand over money for something thats free....??

I realise the post was made in jest but could not help myself, so out of the above, who again is the "smartest" Blue or Red....??

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Anyone want to take a stab at what a 30 second prime time commercial might cost to produce and air on national prime time TV? or a page spread in every major paper in Aust?

Ford paid for a massive "commercial" yesterday afternoon that lasted for 3 hrs on Ch7.

There are no ads about winning some motorracing series because it wont sell cars....

Pretty simple really.
Understand where you are coming from but then why bother dropping money into teams...why bother racing at all?

Its about building the brand and awareness, sprouting your name when they do something good, not only being heard when there is a recall or issue.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Understand where you are coming from but then why bother dropping money into teams...why bother racing at all?

Its about building the brand and awareness, sprouting your name when they do something good, not only being heard when there is a recall or issue.
So the millions they spend on paying for all the stickers on cars and all the billboards around the track that get 3 hrs of TV coverage (let alone zillions of magazine pics) on prime TV 28 days a year isn't enough?
They have to draw the line somewhere... Even Holden have a similar attitude to it.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Are we all dumb..

It comes down to cost. Ford dont have any money to waste on marketing..

When you don't have the budget, your better off marketing what you need to, e.g. your core product, not some championship win that most people who buy Fiestas, Focus, Mondeo etc dont care about.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post