Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #9541
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 17th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.144%.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.068% and active cases 49.

The UK had 12,717 cases yesterday and 738 deaths.

Just over 64k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,803 deaths sees CMR up to 1.762%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA passes 500k deaths.

No countries

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #9542
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Some ideas to try.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
5 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #9543
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Some ideas to try.....

I drink single malt whiskey as often as possible and I have never had the flu or Covid.

Proof it works!
Old 19-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #9544
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Imagine if the Government offered a stiff drink with vaccinations as incentive.

“Yeah, I’m anti-vax but who can knock back a free double of Laphroaig?”
4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #9545
mostly_broncos

So here in Massachusetts we are in phase 2 of the vaccine rollout since Feb 1st. People 75 and older became eligible to get a shot of either phizer or moderna brand . You get what the give you its not a choice .

The rollout has been the source of much anger , the state keeps changing its mind as they proceed , sometimes the promised doses don't arrive and the state created website is a disaster .

Since Feb 1 I have been trying to get my mom vaccinated . Hundreds of attempts on the website which fails in a lot of cryptic ways which don't tell you much.

You go to a google map with stick pins on locations , the idea is to choose a site nearby , click it then a form opens asking your postal code you press the button and usually get an hourglass which times out or a bad gateway error or sometimes "there are no appointments within 50 miles of your location "

Occasionally you get excited because a calendar pops up with highlighted dates! However when that happens you normally discover it has moved you from your selected location to some random place 3 hours away

So after a while I chose the location I wanted , a pharmacy inside a nearby supermarket , went directly to their page and pinned it to a permanent browser tab then just hit refresh about 50 times a day . On Feb 15th a calandar popped up for the very next day and I locked it in and it went off without a hitch.

Avoiding the governments helpful site was the only way to get it done. And since today the moved ahead a phase so people 65 and up or with 2 risk factors were eligible and about a million new people flooded the site and its completely collapsed.

If it hadn't have worked before today it would be another 6 weeks to get an appointment most likely.

Interestingly while its all the governments fault the website doesn't work , its not exactly a lack of capacity . They didn't anticipate some people would make dozens of appointments for themselves and tie up dozens of doses for a single person !

They then go to the first one and never cancel the others or try to bluff other people in under their name for a profit

I guess in a way its a comfort to know that it isn't just the 1%'ers that were going to jump the line

Anyway 2 days after she only has a sore shoulder .

Thing is shes been scared to death for a year and now its like a weight off her shoulders thinking there is light at the end of the tunnel

It supposedly takes 6 weeks to get full immunity after shot 1 but every day it should increase her resistance a little.

Probably the only reason she didn't get covid already is I have been doing her shopping and I already had it(probably but not confirmed) but shes barely left the house for a year and hasn't seen her grandkids and great grandkids in all that time

Hopefully your government sees all the ways our states screwed up the roll out and does a better job. It doesn't seem like there are any immediate side effects from the shot , just going off the 6 people I know who have had it (small sample size I know but they are all over 75 years old)

I would say if you are sick and worried about covid , just get the shot . If you are young and healthy and don't trust vaccines then as long as your older relatives get it then you can probably skip it
5 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #9546
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 18th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1 new case for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.144%.

4 new cases and 1 death for NZ so CMR is 1.109% and active cases 46.

The UK had 12,057 cases yesterday and 454 deaths.

Just under 72k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,541 deaths sees CMR up to 1.766%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 2.45M, the last 50k in 5 days;
Brazil passes 10M cases.

No countries (for the 2nd consecutive day)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #9547
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two young women in Florida ‘dressed up as grannies’ to get vaccinated, health official says

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...official-says/

"The women, both younger than 45, wore bonnets, gloves and glasses to disguise themselves as older than 65, the age cutoff to be prioritized to get the coronavirus vaccine in Florida, according to Raul Pino, the director of the health department in Orange County, where Orlando is located. He attributed the deception to growing interest in the vaccine, giving the example of the women while explaining how high demand is in the area."

4 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #9548
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Shades of Mrs Doubtfire!

I suppose the appointment hoarders referred to by MB were the toilet paper hoarders earlier on.
Old 19-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #9549
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
I would say if you are sick and worried about covid , just get the shot . If you are young and healthy and don't trust vaccines then as long as your older relatives get it then you can probably skip it
Slight problem with this notion. Whilst you might be young and healthy, if you catch it and pass it on to someone who is vulnerable and who can't take the vaccine for medical reasons (I don't imagine the number of people in this category would be small), then you are jeapordising their health.

I thought it was a wise move for the Feds to split the vaccines amongst the ministers. PM taking Pfizer, health minister taking Oxford-AstraZeneca to show there are no concerns.

Having said that, I have a few relos who are in the medical profession, and ALL of them are iffy about taking the vaccine so early. Very surprising. But it will be a condition of their employement so they won't have a choice.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #9550
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Slight problem with this notion. Whilst you might be young and healthy, if you catch it and pass it on to someone who is vulnerable and who can't take the vaccine for medical reasons (I don't imagine the number of people in this category would be small), then you are jeapordising their health.

I thought it was a wise move for the Feds to split the vaccines amongst the ministers. PM taking Pfizer, health minister taking Oxford-AstraZeneca to show there are no concerns.

Having said that, I have a few relos who are in the medical profession, and ALL of them are iffy about taking the vaccine so early. Very surprising. But it will be a condition of their employement so they won't have a choice.
unless you want to force people to get vaccinated against their will it pretty much ends with making it available and hoping enough people get it.

In my mothers case at age 79 the dangers of covid far outweigh any worries about side effects but everyone else will have a different calculation to make
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2021, 02:23 AM   #9551
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As soon as it is available, I'm happy to get the Covid jab. I don't really give a **** which one it is.

We have seasonal flu jabs every year without issue though my tip is don't get it in your dominant arm

I don't think a lot of people understand the significance of not only one but many coronavirus vaccines candidates.

It has been a huge effort to get here in record time and I trust science not the shock jocks.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 20-02-2021 at 02:29 AM.
Old 20-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #9552
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 19th, 2021.

6 new case for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.143%.

4 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.107% and active cases 50.

The UK had 12,027 cases yesterday and 533 deaths.

Just under 71k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,770 deaths sees CMR up to 1.772%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 121M, the last 1M in 3 days.

Paraguay (1,369)

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2021, 01:12 PM   #9553
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

We are starting to see some countries put sizeable gaps between now and their peak daily case numbers but some aren't. Australia is currently at 205 days since the July 30th peak and here are the charts for selected countries in each continent.

Africa has 4 countries that peaked in the last 30 days but none of those inside the last 14 days. Egypt, Madagascar and Senegal are all over 200 days.

Asia has 5 countries that peaked in the last 30 days and two of those inside the last 14 days. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Qatar and Kuwait are all over 250 days.

Europe has 3 countries that peaked in the last 30 days and one of those inside the last 14 days. Poland, France, Montenegro, Bosnia and Belgium are all over 100 days although it should be noted the French result is a bit misleading as their peak was a catch-up.

North America has 3 countries that peaked in the last 30 days but none inside the last 14 days. Guatemala is over 200 days and Costa Rica over 150 but the rest are well behind.

South America has only 1 country that peaked in the last 30 days and none inside the last 14 days. Ecuador is over 300 days and Chile over 250.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #9554
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Two young women in Florida ‘dressed up as grannies’ to get vaccinated, health official says

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...official-says/

"The women, both younger than 45, wore bonnets, gloves and glasses to disguise themselves as older than 65, the age cutoff to be prioritized to get the coronavirus vaccine in Florida, according to Raul Pino, the director of the health department in Orange County, where Orlando is located. He attributed the deception to growing interest in the vaccine, giving the example of the women while explaining how high demand is in the area."

You would think with all the scrutiny in place they would have been caught out the first time when ID was presented??

How many others have slipped through he cracks like them?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 20-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #9555
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like alot of people wouldn't be bothered if they're forced to take this vaccination. That's a hard thing to get my head around.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #9556
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

And then there's those of us that don't need to be forced.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #9557
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
As soon as it is available, I'm happy to get the Covid jab. I don't really give a **** which one it is.

We have seasonal flu jabs every year without issue though my tip is don't get it in your dominant arm

I don't think a lot of people understand the significance of not only one but many coronavirus vaccines candidates.

It has been a huge effort to get here in record time and I trust science not the shock jocks.
Good luck with your mystery injection.
Old 20-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #9558
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Effective at Standard Freezer Temperatures

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pan...r-temperatures

Well this is interesting. Countries that have ordered the Pfizer would have invested heavily in all the "special" freezers by now. Then this comes out. Tell me they tested this during the trials?

Time to audit share holdings in those special freezers me thinks.
Old 20-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #9559
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

There's the UK variant. The Brazil variant. South African variant. And now a Japanese variant?
Quote:
Health authorities in Japan say they have found more than 90 cases of a new variant of COVID-19.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobo Kato told reporters the mutant variant known as E484K, has been found in 91 cases in the Kanto area of eastern Japan. There were also 2 cases at airports.
https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-di...-19/a-56622009

During the recent W.H.O. investigation, it was said that the scientists found 13, yes, 13 different variants of the virus in Wuhan. How long has the virus been in and around Wuhan for there to be 13 different variants?? There were some unconfirmed reports that the hospitals around Wuhan were very busy, much more than normal, as early as the beginning of July 2019.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-wh...fe541523a.html
Old 20-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #9560
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
There's the UK variant. The Brazil variant. South African variant. And now a Japanese variant?

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-di...-19/a-56622009

During the recent W.H.O. investigation, it was said that the scientists found 13, yes, 13 different variants of the virus in Wuhan. How long has the virus been in and around Wuhan for there to be 13 different variants?? There were some unconfirmed reports that the hospitals around Wuhan were very busy, much more than normal, as early as the beginning of July 2019.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-wh...fe541523a.html
If you read the words of the WHO carefully, I reckon they will likely ask to enter into other countries and ask for data. Question is, who is going to let them in?

Brazil found traces of CV19 dating back to late Nov 2019.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...731v1.full.pdf

A friend who lives in Florianópolis, Brazil, said their local authorities found fragments of CV19 in sewerage sample, as far back as March 2019. I couldn't find any english articles to confirm though.

Its also interesting that the WHO mentioned that the "cat" family could have been the middle host, how many countries have reported CV19 in cats?

It is most likely this virus has been circulating around all of 2019, but something happened in Wuhan that made it more infectious and giving people severe symptoms.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #9561
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Good luck with your mystery injection.
For all intents and purposes every single medicine we take is a mystery .

Do you really know if the aspirin you took last week were aspirin?

That ship sailed about 50 years ago .

Whats in a burger? Whats in a coke ?
Old 21-02-2021, 09:26 AM   #9562
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I’m waiting for a Korean or Taiwanese variant. It will be respectful, very well made and come with the longest useful life.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #9563
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So ur logic is inject whatever permanent crap into ur body because the gov told u to, because aspirin?
Old 21-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #9564
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
So ur logic is inject whatever permanent crap into ur body because the gov told u to, because aspirin?
Everything you eat every medicine you take is already a black box you know nothing about . Unless you grow your own food and brew your own beer and crush up herbs to make your own medicine you have to take everything you ingest on faith .

Whats the big deal ?
Old 21-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #9565
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
If you read the words of the WHO carefully, I reckon they will likely ask to enter into other countries and ask for data. Question is, who is going to let them in?

Brazil found traces of CV19 dating back to late Nov 2019.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...731v1.full.pdf

A friend who lives in Florianópolis, Brazil, said their local authorities found fragments of CV19 in sewerage sample, as far back as March 2019. I couldn't find any english articles to confirm though.

Its also interesting that the WHO mentioned that the "cat" family could have been the middle host, how many countries have reported CV19 in cats?

It is most likely this virus has been circulating around all of 2019, but something happened in Wuhan that made it more infectious and giving people severe symptoms.
The WHO was trying to stop the use of countries to define each mutation.. Not sure how that will work if different strains that are country specific keep popping up.

Early on they said it Covid can't be caught by animals - remember Chinese people were throwing their dogs off their balconies?

Yet they found primates in a zoo somewhere with Covid, and apparently dogs can get it as well.

Geeze, March 2019? How did they go back that far? I did a blood test several weeks ago and the lab told me they only keep blood for a week at best.

Perhaps they are raiding every available stored blood sample for testing? Who knows?

What is a 'fragment' of Covid? They also called it 'SARS-CoV-2'. SARS has come and gone in 2003 - could that be the source of the found fragments?

Wikipedia says that the first Aussie case could have been a chap returning from Wuhan on the 25th Jan 2020.

We are a country of travellers, if it were in other countries prior it would have come to Australia much sooner. I agree that something happened in Wuhan that made it into the more deadly and contagious strain we know today.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 21-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #9566
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Geeze, March 2019? How did they go back that far? I did a blood test several weeks ago and the lab told me they only keep blood for a week at best.

They weren't blood samples in Floripa. They sewerage samples. She told about it late last year. She heard it on their local radio, but I see no documented evidence dating back that early.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 21-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #9567
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Now that Australia finally has vaccines available, let's hope the government get the elderly, nurses, doctors, all the health care workers and most vulnerable in the community vaccinated first.

The rest of us can wait as long as it takes. No need to jump the cue for selfish, self-centred reasons. Just because you think you're "important" doesn't mean you should get vaccinated ahead of millions of people who's very lives may depend on being vaccinated.
Old 21-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #9568
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats the big deal ?
I'm going to have an educated guess & assume that ur pretty old?
Old 21-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #9569
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT February 20th, 2021.

2 new case for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.143%.

2 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.106% and active cases 51.

The UK had 10,406 cases yesterday and 445 deaths.

Just under 85k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,651 deaths sees CMR up to 1.776%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Europe passes 33M cases

No countries

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #9570
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Oh well these mystery medicines has been keeping me alive for the past 20 years and I'm thankful for them.

Cheers.
Closed Thread