Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2007 Focus sub and amp fitting

Today I rang a mobile fitting service as I want an amp and sub fitted to my daughters car. He didnt know the Focus and wasnt sure if the correct din plugs allowed for correct fit or if he had to muck around. Nor was he sure if the head unit was easily removed or was built in like B series Falcons. As I didnt have the car here I said its just a head unit unlike ICC. I dont think he was after an upsell but he sugested to replace the head unit and even $100 Supercheap head units would offer better sound rather than factory. Currently I would rather just do the sub and amp. Can anyone give me some clues please.

Old 17-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2007 Focus sub and amp fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Today I rang a mobile fitting service as I want an amp and sub fitted to my daughters car. He didnt know the Focus and wasnt sure if the correct din plugs allowed for correct fit or if he had to muck around. Nor was he sure if the head unit was easily removed or was built in like B series Falcons. As I didnt have the car here I said its just a head unit unlike ICC. I dont think he was after an upsell but he sugested to replace the head unit and even $100 Supercheap head units would offer better sound rather than factory. Currently I would rather just do the sub and amp. Can anyone give me some clues please.
Well I was wrong i have seen the car now and it is an ICC setup similar to a Falcon, so has anyone out there hooked up a sub and amp to one of these. I had it done to my BA as thats where the sub is coming from. As this bloke I spoke to hasnt done one should I look for someone else? I'm on the northern end of the gold coast if anyone has some suggestions. Thanks.
Old 17-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
~Spyne~

2007 - LT or LV?
I'm not familiar with the LV, but the LT you can definitely easily replace the headunit, it is not a completely integrated unit like in the BF Falcon.

Yes, a new headunit will generally offer better sound than factory, but if you're on a VERY tight budget, you have to factor in the cost of a cheap aftermarket headunit ($120-$150) PLUS installation costs ($60-$100).
To install a sub and amp with the factory headunit still fitted, you need to either buy an amp that accepts high-level signal input straight from the factory headunit, or buy a LOC (line output converter) to convert the high-level signal from the factory headunit to a low-level (RCA) signal that can connect to the amp.

What is your budget?
Also, while I love these forums, for this particular question, you will get much better advice over on Mobile Electronics Australia (sorry if recommending this is against these forum rules)
Old 18-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Spyne, budget really isnt an issue and I already have the sub and amp which has come out of my BA. I didnt change the speakers nor head on my BA I just put s+a in and was happy enough with it so I was just looking to pass on a perfectly good a+s which was sitting doing zip. When I had it installed no one sugested upgrading head or speakers. I think I might ring a few more places.
I was going to post in audio section but when I looked much was of Falcons, I have been here before and theres plenty of guys here with moded Focii so I thought someone has worked on their stereo. Thanks again.
Old 18-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
~Spyne~

Gold Coast Car Sound are reasonably good, at least better than your chainstores like JB and (most) Autobarns.
Northfield Moorooka is one of the best stores in QLD, well worth the ~1hr? drive to get there, or even just to call and see what advice they might offer.
Old 20-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
fonfe
RS shop's technician

Easily done.
Either fit an aftermarket head unit that has RCA outputs for an external amp or keep the OEM unit and solder in RCA plugs. Is easiest to fit aftermarket head unit complete with multiplug and dash surround specifically for a focus. You need radio keys depending on what unit is currently fitted to the car to remove but will take you 10mins tops to change the units over.
Old 21-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks fellas, rang another joint today, mobile fitter which is what i was originally after, new about LOC and was happy with the fact I didnt want to change head unit. So i have booked him for Wednesday so I just hope he does a good job, thanks again.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
fbvisitor

Hi there,

Just wondering how it all went. Are you (and more importantly your daughter) happy with the outcome?

Out of interest, where did you get the subbie mounted?

I and I'm sure others are interested in the outcome.

Cheers.
fbvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post