Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
skoobysGT

Default Focus vs Cruze

Hi guys

Been a turbo charged car owner all my life but last year purchased my first FPV V8...I love it but honestly, I still miss the rush of a turbo so am looking at replacing my wife's Holden Barina with either a second hand 2011 Ford Focus Titanium Pwrshift LW Hatch (with 7000 kms on the clock) for $31,000 or a brand new 2012 white Holden Cruze CDX for $29,990 drive away.

I've done a bit of research and they both have 2.0l turbo charged diesel engines..the Focus having 120kw/ 340NM and the Cruze 120kw/360NM so pretty much on par.

The Focus has more extras such as GPS, automatic park, 18 inch alloys etc but its still a second hand car (concerned about it being thrashed) and is also in black (I swore never to buy another black car again)...but I don't really like white cars either.

The Cruze is a brand new car...with 6 years warranty and capped servicing..and as I'm writing this, I'm getting even more confused than ever!!

So, without being bias towards the Ford (I know its hard to do since its a Ford forum) but which car would you pick and please give me reasons why!

Thanks heaps
Scott

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
skoobysGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Focus vs Cruze

I'd go the focus. It may sound a little bias

- 7000km on the clock, its pretty much brand new
- Better features
- Better re-sale
- not a rebadged dawoo made in Korea
- better looks
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Nolz

I just wheeled and dealed an SRI Cruze for my brother in law. I also test drove the diesel Cruze and own a Sport Diesel LW Focus myself. The difference is noticable the fords diesel donk and DSG seems a little more intuitive and perkier. The DSG is something that takes a bit of getting used to. I came from a buttery smooth auto in an FG XR6T and at first it seemed like the focus had a dodgey box. Not so, got used to it real quick tho.

Build quality, materials and design...I have to favour the Focus also. However that is personal taste. Obviously my sister and brother in law prefer the Cruze styling over the other aspects enough to buy it over a focus.

Nothing beats a brand new car and the cruze is a good drive and decent bfyb. I do think ford service is better (only just)....ultimately drive them both. One should tickle your fancy a little more.

I've got my Focus booked in for a tune next week. If you wan to wait til the week after I'll put up my thoughts on how tweakable these things are ; )
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
skoobysGT

Thanks guys...yep, will definitely test drive both this weekend! I agree that the Focus has more features and looks nicer.

I've tried searching but does anyone know the 0-100 times for both these cars..not that it's important...just wanna know out of curiosity.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Nolz

I'm curious too!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
harveyr

According to this site

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...owershift.html

Focus: 9.5 secs
Cruise: 10.3 secs
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Focus is a superior vehicle to the Cruze.

BTW it is also included under Ford's capped price servicing program.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The cruze still makes me think its a daewoo that's rebadged. the focus would be my pick out of the 2. Better resale. I drove the cruze diesel before and didn't think much of its power. haven't driven a focus td but on paper seems hold the cards over the cruze. let us know how u go.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
skoobysGT

So I took both for a test drive on Saturday morning and I must say the Focus is a much more superior car overall!

Firstly, the Focus looked a thousand times nicer in the flesh...the Cruze is quite an ugly looking car...however, there were some parts of the cockpit that looked too plastic-ky in the Ford but overall, it was a much nicer looking car than the Cruze

Secondly, even though the Cruze has more torque on paper, it was the Focus that felt a lot more torquey...the handling also felt better around corners in the Focus too...the automatic box felt a bit smoother in the Cruze though.

But it was the automatic parking in the Focus that made the wife fall in love with it. The keyless entry, voice controlled bluetooth and sports seats were also great features to have. One thing she didn't like was the fact that the indicators and wipers were reversed (being European built)..but that was no biggy.

So at this stage, we are definitely leaning towards the Focus.

But we have not put pen to paper just yet..going to test drive the Volkswagen Polo GTI this weekend and see how we go from there.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Nice report. Pretty much sums it up then. The Polo's I hear are pretty good although it would be wise to ensure the gearbox is up to scratch and the service intervals on that car are spot on.

But as far as the Polo and Focus is concerned inside, the focus wins. The Polo and Golf for that matter look a bit boring in my opinion. Also the equipment levels of the Focus I believe are higher.

Be interesting to hear your thoughts when you test drive the Polo.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
ConradP

Hmm any reason you're comparing a Polo to the Focus and Cruze? Polo is a smaller car, the Golf should be what you compare it to in reality.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I can't believe what I am about to say. Buy the Cruze as it is assembled in Australia.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Hmm any reason you're comparing a Polo to the Focus and Cruze? Polo is a smaller car, the Golf should be what you compare it to in reality.
Yeap!

When I decided to move away from the ute and to something more compact the VW Polo GTI was what I was gunning for. Until I had a good look at it in the flesh. It's not a small car, its a micro car. Certainly in a different category. As far as practicality is concerned it doesn't even compare.

If you wanted a car like go cart and don't mind its itsy bitsy dimensions then it's gold. But it's size, or lack there of made it an instant DQ when I was looking around.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
I can't believe what I am about to say. Buy the Cruze as it is assembled in Australia.
I'd say this, but if it's not up to the same standard as the foreign made Focus you really can't.. I'd take quality over where it's built any day.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Foconatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobysGT
So I took both for a test drive on Saturday morning and I must say the Focus is a much more superior car overall!

Firstly, the Focus looked a thousand times nicer in the flesh...the Cruze is quite an ugly looking car...however, there were some parts of the cockpit that looked too plastic-ky in the Ford but overall, it was a much nicer looking car than the Cruze

Secondly, even though the Cruze has more torque on paper, it was the Focus that felt a lot more torquey...the handling also felt better around corners in the Focus too...the automatic box felt a bit smoother in the Cruze though.

But it was the automatic parking in the Focus that made the wife fall in love with it. The keyless entry, voice controlled bluetooth and sports seats were also great features to have. One thing she didn't like was the fact that the indicators and wipers were reversed (being European built)..but that was no biggy.

So at this stage, we are definitely leaning towards the Focus.

But we have not put pen to paper just yet..going to test drive the Volkswagen Polo GTI this weekend and see how we go from there.
Which Focus/Cruze are looking at, sedan or hatch? I think the Cruze hatch is bland. It's hard to compare the autos as one is dual clutch and the other full auto. Better fuel economy with the dual clutch and quicker response less slip. After a while you will love the feel of the dual clutch for what it is.

Talking about keyless entry and therefore push button start, Have you compared the quality/look of the one on the Cruze? Looks cheap.

I believe the Thai built ones will have the indicators and wipers as per norm.

As for the for the Polo GTI, I was going to buy one but the wait at the time was 8-12 months for the top spec one. I'm happy I went for the Focus.
For the 20 years I've been in this country I was a Holden man but the Focus has converted me.

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
I'd say this, but if it's not up to the same standard as the foreign made Focus you really can't.. I'd take quality over where it's built any day.
I'd rather keep Australians employed than pay them unemployment benefits.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
pmacc

even though VW make some decent cars, Servicing and Parts prices are way too high and every now and then you get a horror story from vw especially the DSG ones.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Pandemic

I'm hoping a review based on a Thailand built focus will be released in the coming weeks.
Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
skoobysGT

Early Saturday morning I returned to the Holden dealer to test drive the Cruze CDX diesel sedan (the last time I was there, I test drove the hatch version but found it too ugly)…the sedan did look a lot nicer in the flesh but after test driving it one more time, it confirmed how I felt about the Cruze after the first drive – its just simply too sluggish and boring!
So it was straight back to the Ford dealer for me….my first preference was a titanium hatch but there are not many of these available in Perth that fell within our budget of $32k so the dealer where I bought my GT from said that he could do a titanium sedan for me for that price! Side by side, the hatch looked a lot sportier and refined to me but the sedan was a great price….however, it was ink blue and it looked absolutely horrible!!! I could not let myself buy it no matter how good the price was!
There were several silver sedans that looked stunning but they were only available in the petrol version for $29k but were 2011 plated and had no GPS.
So I left the Ford dealer and drove to the Volkswagen dealership to test drive the Polo GTI….long story short, immediately after the test drive, I put down a deposit and signed for a red one!!!!! I know that it’s a small car but we already have a GT so we really didn’t mind it being small…this is a second car which will be used for grocery shopping and to zip around town etc so size really did not matter.
I was so impressed with the test drive… these things are really pocket rockets!!!! The engine is very responsive and has so much grunt and torque…being super light with a twin charged motor, the Polo GTI has heaps of low end power and also heaps after 3000rpms…it also has a fantastic sound track – I can’t believe these things are only 1.4 litres!!! And the 7 speed DSG compliments the car really well too…and you can’t go wrong with a combined fuel consumption of 6.1 per 100kms.
The worst part is having to wait a whole month for it!!! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help on this…I know we would have been completely satisfied with another Ford in the garage but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

Old 19-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #20
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope you enjoy the new car, mate.

I think I know both cars, the ink blue is at McInerney's, right? And I've been keeping half an eye on the Polo's, trying to decide if I want to risk the (alleged) issues of combining three separate complex bits of engineering: supercharger, turbocharger and DSG gearbox.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
skoobysGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Hope you enjoy the new car, mate.

I think I know both cars, the ink blue is at McInerney's, right? And I've been keeping half an eye on the Polo's, trying to decide if I want to risk the (alleged) issues of combining three separate complex bits of engineering: supercharger, turbocharger and DSG gearbox.
Thanks mate...its for the missus but I'm sure I'll be grabbing the keys off her once in awhile!!!

Nope...the ink blue one is at Lynford Motors...hope I don't come across any problems with it but that's what warranty is for!

Old 19-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

The vw's are a cool bit of kit. nice job. make sure you maintain it to the book and you should be fine. enjoy.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 19-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Early Saturday morning I returned to the Holden dealer to test drive the Cruze CDX diesel sedan (the last time I was there, I test drove the hatch version but found it too ugly)…the sedan did look a lot nicer in the flesh but after test driving it one more time, it confirmed how I felt about the Cruze after the first drive – its just simply too sluggish and boring!
So it was straight back to the Ford dealer for me….my first preference was a titanium hatch but there are not many of these available in Perth that fell within our budget of $32k so the dealer where I bought my GT from said that he could do a titanium sedan for me for that price! Side by side, the hatch looked a lot sportier and refined to me but the sedan was a great price….however, it was ink blue and it looked absolutely horrible!!! I could not let myself buy it no matter how good the price was!
There were several silver sedans that looked stunning but they were only available in the petrol version for $29k but were 2011 plated and had no GPS.
So I left the Ford dealer and drove to the Volkswagen dealership to test drive the Polo GTI….long story short, immediately after the test drive, I put down a deposit and signed for a red one!!!!! I know that it’s a small car but we already have a GT so we really didn’t mind it being small…this is a second car which will be used for grocery shopping and to zip around town etc so size really did not matter.
I was so impressed with the test drive… these things are really pocket rockets!!!! The engine is very responsive and has so much grunt and torque…being super light with a twin charged motor, the Polo GTI has heaps of low end power and also heaps after 3000rpms…it also has a fantastic sound track – I can’t believe these things are only 1.4 litres!!! And the 7 speed DSG compliments the car really well too…and you can’t go wrong with a combined fuel consumption of 6.1 per 100kms.
The worst part is having to wait a whole month for it!!! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help on this…I know we would have been completely satisfied with another Ford in the garage but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.
Happy motoring.

My wife and I were in the same situation as you, we/I wanted a Focus or a Cruze. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354263

In the end we ended up with a Honda Accord Euro. The wife loves it so much, I'll be in her good books for a very long time
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
skoobysGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Happy motoring.

My wife and I were in the same situation as you, we/I wanted a Focus or a Cruze. http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354263

In the end we ended up with a Honda Accord Euro. The wife loves it so much, I'll be in her good books for a very long time
My neigbour drove home a brand new black Honda Accord Euro the other week - it looked absolutely stunning! congrats mate!

Old 19-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
skoobysGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
The vw's are a cool bit of kit. nice job. make sure you maintain it to the book and you should be fine. enjoy.
Thanks bud..We are over the moon with our choice in the end...I know you said in one of your earlier post that the interior of the Polo and Golf is quite dull and boring...I somewhat agree with you but the GTI versions for both these cars are quite nice!

Yep will definitely maintain/service it on time...from what I've been told, servicing for VW's are quite expensive compared to a Ford or Holden but I guess it aint so bad considering it only needs yearly servicing.

Old 19-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
Foconatic

Quote:
I was going to buy the Polo GTI with all the bells and whistles inOctober last year,but had to wait at least 9 months. A guy I know ordered his May 2011 and is picking his up next Tuesday. So I went for the Focus with a 4 month wait and I love the car. One month for you is nothing.....enjoy!Yes it is a pocket rocket.

Going somewhere isn't why you drive, driving is why you go
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How are you going with the Polo GTI? Is it using oil at a high rate? Still tossing up whether to get one of those...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
skoobysGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
How are you going with the Polo GTI? Is it using oil at a high rate? Still tossing up whether to get one of those...
The Polo GTI is awesome!! I'm having more fun driving it at the moment than I am driving my GT!!! It's done nearly 2,000kms already and I have brought it back to the dealers twice to get an oil top up...but no biggy as they don't charge me for the oil..just a bit of my time that's all.

The dealer told me that its very common in these cars up to about 3-4,000kms and the dust should settle by then and oil consumption should be normal.

The DSG is a brilliant kit but if you can stretch your budget a bit more and after a manual, I would suggest getting a GOLF GTI for $39,990 drive away..that's a sensational price VW Australia are offering at the moment!

Old 24-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

great to hear your enjoying the little beast

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon