Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU XR8, series 3 IRS

Guys,

Can you replace the outer toe link ball joint, as well as the toe link inner bush or the whole toe link needs replacing because the ball joint can't be replaced?

Cheers
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 
Default Re: AU XR8, series 3 IRS

The ball joint is part of the link arm. They are cheap on evilbay though, ~$60/pair for cheapies which should be ok as they don't carry much load.

If the joint itself is ok and just the usual torn boot you can pinch the boot from a new one and repack with clean grease.

I have found they are a real pain to dislodge. I recommend one of these to make the job much easier:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...parator/377217
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2018, 01:02 AM   #3
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

I have ebay toe links on my s3 xr8 and they are perfectly fine,i didn't get the cheapest ones,i got the ones from Suzuki spares I think,i think they had the best feedback,i couldn't get them locally in perth at the time.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
The ball joint is part of the link arm. They are cheap on evilbay though, ~$60/pair for cheapies which should be ok as they don't carry much load.

If the joint itself is ok and just the usual torn boot you can pinch the boot from a new one and repack with clean grease.

I have found they are a real pain to dislodge. I recommend one of these to make the job much easier:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...parator/377217
Undertow,

Is that price for the toe rod or the ball joint? If it is the ball joint can you send me the link for the company, please.

Cheers
Old 28-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
I have ebay toe links on my s3 xr8 and they are perfectly fine,i didn't get the cheapest ones,i got the ones from Suzuki spares I think,i think they had the best feedback,i couldn't get them locally in perth at the time.
Cheers TICKFORD 220, just confirming with Undertow if you can purchase just the ball joint, which would be a better option for me, maintaining the originality of the S3, 220.

Regards
Old 28-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

No the balljoint is part of the toe link,its all one unit,i can confirm this,only did mine a few months ago.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
No the balljoint is part of the toe link,its all one unit,i can confirm this,only did mine a few months ago.
Bummer, cheers.
Old 29-03-2018, 03:21 AM   #8
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Default AU XR8, series 3 IRS

The toe control outer sections you replace as units which incorporates the tie rod ends.

The inner sections you reuse as they have a replaceable bush.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: