Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Default AU Ipod / Aux stereo input

Ive decided after many years of frustration with scratched CD's to upgrade to an ipod. Can anyone help me with advice / wiring diagrahams / cable selection?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :

EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

yeah same thing mate.... going to mount the IPOD into the center console and run power to it under the console.... then use the FM transmitter thing to connect to the headunit... i think that is the best way???? unless you can directly plug in???
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pioneer have made an iPod adapter to connect to their headunits:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com.au...100/index.html
RRP: ~$300 I think

And alpine have made an adapter to connect to theirs as well.

Or you can connect a fm transmitter, and connect to the ipod via the fm radio. Quality & Volume is poor but it's the cheapest way.

Cheers
Old 13-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Pioneer have made an iPod adapter to connect to their headunits:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com.au...100/index.html
RRP: ~$300 I think

And alpine have made an adapter to connect to theirs as well.

Or you can connect a fm transmitter, and connect to the ipod via the fm radio. Quality & Volume is poor but it's the cheapest way.

Cheers
damn that is expensive!!!!

are you sure the quality is crap, cause i had it in my mates car with a big stereo, and it sounded fine!?

but then again..... i am half deaf! LOL
( not really... just used to play in a band for 4 years! HAHAHA )
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hrmm, well my mate, got it. And said the quality was crap, he could hear crackling every now and then, and so he's swapping to get a proper cable/adapter. I had a quick listen to it, and a CD definately sounded better when he switched it over. He has a decent system, 2x12s, and fairly good speakers inside.
Old 13-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have an FM modulator for my Xbox in the XR8 so that I can play games, watch DVDs etc. It works really well - no interference, no static etc. You have to ensure that the modulator you buy is switchable, and that it doens't operate on a frequency that is close to (or used by) a radio station. I actually have 2 FM modulators sitting around that I would be prepared to let go for $50 (including postage). They are both excellent units, and are not on any frequency that radio stations broadcast on (in Canberra, anyway). One is an FM-02 unit (same as the ones from JayCar) running on 88.3 or 88.7 MHz (you switch between the 2). The other is an FM-1 unit operating on 87.7, 87.9, 88.1, 88.3 or 88.5 MHz.

You will need it to be switchable - which these aren't, but a cheap switch from Dick smith or tandy fixes that - without the switch, you get interference when you are trying to just listen to the radio.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 13-08-2005 at 11:54 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Can anyone help me with advice / wiring diagrahams / cable selection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
...unless you can directly plug in...
None of the AU head units have any form of Auxiliary Input...damnit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
...you can connect a fm transmitter...Quality & Volume is poor but it's the cheapest way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
are you sure the quality is crap...and it sounded fine...
The FM Transmitters are a good compromise, that is all. They are cheap and they are very handy, but if you want CD quality, burn a CD. If you want to play from you I-Pod, and not lose quality, you'll have to install an aftermarket head unit with an Auxiliary Input.

There is not a huge loss in quality, but the FM transmitters are definatley not the same quality as CD's, like I said, they're a good compromise.

Panda
Old 15-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #8
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Talking Preimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
None of the AU head units have any form of Auxiliary Input...damnit.

The FM Transmitters are a good compromise, that is all. They are cheap and they are very handy, but if you want CD quality, burn a CD. If you want to play from you I-Pod, and not lose quality, you'll have to install an aftermarket head unit with an Auxiliary Input.

There is not a huge loss in quality, but the FM transmitters are definatley not the same quality as CD's, like I said, they're a good compromise.

Panda
Sorry to say that premium sound did have a negitive line in aux port.. mainly used for sat nav in the au series.. not a great use for things like ipods etc.. but great for reverse sensing systems...

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
shoonic

I have one of those cassette adapters that used to come in the car kits for walkmans etc. Cost me $12.50 and came with a multi voltage charger. After trying about 5 different FM transmitters it sounds 100 per cent better than any of them!! Only thing is you need a cassette player but I think most AU's came with them.
shoonic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
dogwatch2

I tried an FM transmitter from JayCar (about $35 from memory) about a year ago. The sound quality was poor. So I gave up and installed a pioneer mp3 head unit.
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Paul m
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
Sorry to say that premium sound did have a negitive line in aux port.. mainly used for sat nav in the au series.. not a great use for things like ipods etc.. but great for reverse sensing systems...

Can you use the mobile phone connector?? (for a AUIII XR6)
Paul m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoonic
I have one of those cassette adapters that used to come in the car kits for walkmans etc. Cost me $12.50 and came with a multi voltage charger. After trying about 5 different FM transmitters it sounds 100 per cent better than any of them!! Only thing is you need a cassette player but I think most AU's came with them.
Was about to mention that. Belkin also make one now so easily available. Going to use one for my iRiver
Old 10-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Sorry to bring up an old thread but can the Mobile Phone connector be used for Aux In on an AU Fairmont Headunit. I have the plug and i know its only Mono, but is there any way that you can re-wire it to stereo???
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
anarchyok

i had a fm transmitter and it was really crappy, so much static and volume differences, plus a very compressed sound.

Researched Pioneer and Kenwood head units, but balked at paying over $100 for a cable to attach IPOD. Got a Sony unit (normally $470, i got for $263) which you can plug a standard rca Aux in jack...cable cost $5. Sounds fantastic with IPOD
anarchyok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #15
dxr88u
dye hard ford supporter

hi guys,

just upgraded my deck with a pioneer dvd player and screen(AVH-P5750DVD), also added a pioneer ipod adapter(CD-IB100) which i managed to get off JB hifi for $99 after getting them to match a price i saw at autobarn. i can honestly say the sound quality is as good as a cd if not better and being able to put the ipod in the glove box and control every fuction of it from the pioneer deck was well worth it. previously i have used fm modulators with cd stackers and its like comparing apples to oranges when you hear the quality of the ipod+pioneer combination.
dxr88u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwatch2
I tried an FM transmitter from JayCar (about $35 from memory) about a year ago. The sound quality was poor. So I gave up and installed a pioneer mp3 head unit.
Sounds like the same unit I got - was it silver and used 2 x AAA batteries? Was a joke. The clearest signal I got was to mount it next to the power antenna and feed a switch back to the driver's area to turn it on and off. Was such a hassle and the thing would "drift" frequencies after 15 mins of driving.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #17
Abacus
Life's a Gas

About 10 years ago I bought a Capri turbo at auction. It had separate non-standard Tape/Receiver and CD units. The CD was attached to the aerial wire with an adapter, and you selected it on the receiver as a preset FM radio station.

Was this one of the FM modulators mentioned above - or was it something different? It actually worked quite well.

Last edited by Abacus; 10-01-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Voodoo65
Starter Motor

Default Ipod Transmitter

I bought an FM transmitter from Auto One that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it works fine through my system. Just make sure you tune to free frequency I've been using around 88.9 in the sunshine coast Qld. It's around $129 and it charges the Ipod also.
It comes with an extension for the power and is fully adjustable so you can position it pretty well any way you like which is handy to have it out of the way for a manual shift.

"There's no substitute for Cubic Inches"
Voodoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #19
max^power
Formerly au^ute

i used to use the FM transmitter for my ipod, but i found an old cassette thing that works much better. Its one of those cassette things we used to have to use for the old diskmans! very handy, perfect sound quality too and never goes fuzzy.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #20
richard_auiii
Starter Motor

Default Amp with 2 imputs

This is what i have done in my car,
Pioneer amp with two rca inputs, when you plug in rca to 3.5mm into the ipod it mute's the other input (cd player).
If you already have an amp this is simply the best way to do it!,
if not GET ONE you will not regret it ($200 or so dollars is all you need).
Then you can make use of better speakers too.

Rich
richard_auiii is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #21
Pies1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Hrmm, well my mate, got it. And said the quality was crap, he could hear crackling every now and then, and so he's swapping to get a proper cable/adapter. I had a quick listen to it, and a CD definately sounded better when he switched it over. He has a decent system, 2x12s, and fairly good speakers inside.

I connect my ipod via an fm transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

Sounds good enough to me, no crackling etc.
Pies1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #22
bonny
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU Ipod / Aux stereo input

follow
bonny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #23
valiant81
Starter Motor

Hi Easyboss;
When down the same problem with my au as i did'nt want to replace the radio/cd unit. ended up on evelbay and got a usb FM transmitterand tuned the FM radio into it. Mine has a usb socketand currenly has a 32 Gb stick ( good for about 3000 songs. best part is it also has a 3.5 mm stereo socket built in to allow a external input feed, Ipod or what ever.

While not perfect the transmitter has worked a treat. Mine cost about $15.00 and included P&P.
valiant81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #24
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Epic thread mine, OP is from 2005...
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #25
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Re: AU Ipod / Aux stereo input

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP View Post
Epic thread mine, OP is from 2005...
Epic thread mine, might as well show us the FM set up\

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #26
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I have just bought a 2001 Fairlane Sportsman and I have sent away for this FM transmitter thingy.

I am hoping to link up my old Apple player (the one that is about an inch square) as it is full of country music and only the best will do, you understand. ;-)

I bought this item because I can use it to power the ipod and take the signal from the headphone jack.

What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by Cav; 09-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #27
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I have just bought a 2001 Fairlane Sportsman and I have sent away for this FM transmitter thingy.

I am hoping to link up my old Apple player (the one that is about an inch square) as it is full of country music and only the best will do, you understand. ;-)

I bought this item because I can use it to power the ipod and take the signal from the headphone jack.

What could possibly go wrong?
Its a car, so everything

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post