Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #211
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Had my service done this morning, told them about the knocking.

They reworked the heat shield around the exhaust, apparantly it was vibrating against it. Not sure whether this was the actual problem, but I'll see how it goes.

Everything else besides that is fine

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #212
Scully
Starter Motor

Default Focus faults...

Had mine for 4 months now,and disappointed with the build,doors out of alignment,loud ckicking noises in and around the engine,the piant work is terrible,we garage it,but have light scratches all over it.
The Ford dealership we bought it from gave it a rough detail,and didn't even check the paintwork..we have taken it back twice for minor stuff.But for a one eyed Ford person,it was a bit disappointing.
We just drove through to Hobart from Launceston which is about 200+ kms,and the engine was brilliant,very strong,lots of hills,no problem...most of the problems,can be ironed out,but shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #213
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Well the knocking is still there, was going crazy on the way back from work. Turn left *thunk*, go over a bump *thunk*. It seems to do it more often on left turns than anything else.. any ideas?

Starting to really annoy me now and I can't pin point it, not sure if it's the rear suspension now otherwise it would do it over every bump but it doesn't.

used:

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 28-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #214
blue_focus

Month/year build: 2005
Spec Level: CL LS
KMs at time of fault: 15000
Symtoms: Leak in boot when it rains. Starting up can be hard at times. Door locks broke, couldn't lock car.
Fault: Boot not sealed properly. replaced driver side lock.
Fixed? By: Ford warrenty
Comments: Love the focus as most owners do, but don't buy 1 unless you want problems.
blue_focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #215
stevensr34
Starter Motor

Default Another leaking roof, etc...

Month/year build: Sept 2006
Spec Level: CL LS
Km at time of fault: 10,000

Issue #1:
Symptoms: Leaking into boot when it rains.
Fault: Roof seam not correctly welded together!
Fixed? By: Ford warranty...Two attempts to fix, firstly off road for 4 days, then on second attempt, off road for a further three days, with loan falcon thrown in.
Comments: Seems to be waterproof now...

Issue #2:
Symptoms: Whirring from engine, especially when warmed up.
Fault: Water pump noise when warm.
Fixed? By: Ford warranty. Found coolant mix ratio was 50:50 coolant to water. Apparently it should be 70:30. Because it was too "watered down", the bearings in the water pump could move around and vibrate. Coolant drained and replaced with correct ratio.
Comments: Seems to have fixed the whirring for now...

Disturbing lack of build quality from the factory (South Africa) the prime cause of both issues. Hope this is the last of them...
stevensr34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #216
MW_WA
Starter Motor

My Zetec hatch is due to arrive here in Perth in about a week, and frankly reading this thread has scared the hell out of me!
I'm glad I have done so though - it could turn out to be very valuable and has certainly made me more vigilant, so as a n00b here I just wanted to thank everyone that has contributed.
Here's hoping I don't post in this topic again.
MW_WA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #217
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Due to the fact that you're buying an LT, I dare say you won't run into the problems that a lot of guys on here have run into. Ford seemed to have gotten their s*** together and fixed up a lot of the things that went wrong with the LS focus.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new car

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #218
zane
Starter Motor

Default It aint all bad

I recently took possession of a 2006 LS Hatchback, Manual, 35,000km on the clock. I actually found this thread after I decided to buy the car - and was very quickly put off the purchase.

But now having had the car for a while I am happy to say its the best car I have ever had, cant find fault with it and none of the list of faults here I have yet to find (touch wood)......
zane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #219
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Month/year build: July 2007
Spec Level: TDCi
KMs at time of fault: 25,000km
Symtoms: Really annoying random metallic creak/flex while driving coming from left side of car inside. Rattle in passenger side door + window is slow to wind up.
Fault: Who knows, I've checked all over the car myself inside, under and out and can't replicate the noise unless I drive it.
Fixed? By: No, had Ford look at the problem twice even took a man out for a drive to point it out. Apparantly he fiddled with the doors and greased the hinges and couldn't replicate the sound again.
Comments: Problem is back the day after, door rattle is worse and now the window almost doesn't wind up it struggles that much. Am really ****ed off...

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 27-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #220
Randy_G
wing nut

I'm glad I found this thread. It gave me more information on the car I was looking to get, and make an informed decision. Top marks to the person who started it.

For the most part, the faults listed here are annoying, but minor. Except of course if they are happening to you. : Do a quick google of other makes, and you will find people with complaints. Some of them are quite major, and safety related.

There is one site where they mention problems with the Mazda 3, and the front driveshaft coming loose from the transmission. Yet many tell you what a great car it undoubtedly is.

My own personal experience with automakers (I worked in a BMW, Volvo, Subaru dealer's parts department) is that they all make mistakes. Unfortunately it sounds more like the dealers not taking responsibility and really trying to fix any problems for their customers. To them the problem is minor, but they should realise that to the owner of the car, it is a major problem. If they don't take care of them, someone else will.

When I worked at the dealership, we fought like hell to help our customers. The only manufacturer that we didn't have to fight with over warranty problems was Subaru Canada (that's where I'm from). They were fantastic, and went out of their way to help out their dealers.

Volvo wasn't too bad, but BMW was terrible. They had their good moments, but it was usually because the car owner mentioned buying a Benz, Lexus, etc instead of a Beemer the next time. Then the rep would work some deal that should have been offered in the first place, and that we had suggested initially by the way.

I've just gotten an '08 Zetec, and I'm quite happy with it. So far (1,000 kms) there are no issues, but because of this thread, should any of the previously mentioned issues crop up, I will be better prepared to deal with them.

Thanks to all who have contributed, both good and bad.
Randy_G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #221
foccer
Starter Motor

Default Worth a read

Seeing as this is a fault register, I thought this may be best place to post this link. Makes for some interesting reading.

Top secret! The quality survey every car buyer must see
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...=39115&IsPgd=0
foccer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #222
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Month/year build: 2007 October
Spec Level: TDCI
KMs at time of fault: 5,000
Symtoms: wet
Fault: water leak via rear tail lights of hatchback
Fixed? By: hopefully ford
Comments: seems its a design fault
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #223
tezarity
Tezarity

Month/year build: 06
Spec Level: FOCUS LX
KMs at time of fault: 35000
Symtoms: 2 or 3 start attempts before engine will start
Fault: ???
Fixed? By: ???
Comments: I have noticed that a few people have said it was a fault with the fuel pump? others have said that you have restarted the computer...

How do i do this?
tezarity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #224
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it off for about half an hour to reset the ECU.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #225
20focus05
I wanna XR5

i get the same thing, resetting did nothing.
if it does not want to start i put my foot flat on the accel, it then starts ok. but take you foot off as soon as it starts.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #226
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Randy
I too like to think that this is all about helping each other out and not as a session.

Old 22-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #227
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
I'm getting noise from the rear suspension as well, when travelling around 40-60km/h I get intermittent knocks and groans when cornering or going over bumps. Is that what yours sounded like?
Yeah mine sounds like the rear brake rotors are rubbing against the disks, say after coming to a stop and then moving off again it's like the brakes take a bit to release. It's more noticeable if going around a corner, probably due to flexing.

I've got the car at Ultra tune today getting it's 45k service and i've asked them to try and work out what it is. Ford haven't blown me away with their diagnostic skills to this point.....
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #228
Randy_G
wing nut

Month/year build:Aug 08
Spec Level: LT Zetec (auto)
KMs at time of fault: 5,200+/-
Symtoms: Engine shut down
Fault: I suspect vapour lock
Fixed? By: Not yet taken in to dealer
Comments: While stuck in traffic on the way to the airshow, the engine just quit. Cranked it over, and it fired a couple of times, but wouldn't start. Left it to cool down a bit, and it eventually started. Outside air temp was about 30, and the a/c was on. The fact it eventually restarted lead me to believe that it was vapour lock. The car has an auto trans, so it wasn't poor clutch control. :P

Anyone else have this happen to them ??
Old 13-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #229
Mullett
Badly Focused

Not the same extent, but mine is difficult to start after it's stalled out. Takes a couple of seconds, turn the key off, wait, then try again.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #230
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Randy have you had any issues with it before, i.e. misfiring, smell of fuel etc.
If so get them to check the fuel lines close to throttle body, a mate of mine works for ford and found a crack in a fuel line there and cause stalling and misfires but only now and then. took 3 weeks to find cause fuel would fall onto hot engine and evaporate

BTW if you flat foot start it actually cuts all fuel to engine untill it gets to starting speed then revs up. just a thing my mate told me.

Old 14-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #231
Randy_G
wing nut

20focus05 haven't noticed any smell (other than the 'new car' smell ), and it hadn't missed a beat since picking it up from the dealer.

Cool to know about the fuel cut-off when trying to start with the throttle flat though. Cheers.
Old 17-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #232
64ORD
1964 Thunderbird

Month/year build: Nov 06
Spec Level: LS Zetec manual
KMs at time of fault: 24000
Symtoms: substantial oil leak at right had drive shaft exit from gearbox
Fault: faulty or damaged oil seal
Fixed? booked in for warranty service Monday

This drive shaft assembly was replaced under warranty back in April due to the commonly heard clicking noise on foward and reverse take up. Maybe they damaged the seal when installing the new shaft. Hard to believe a seal would only last this long?
64ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #233
Randy_G
wing nut

KMs at time of fault: 6,800+/-
Symtoms: Engine stalls in reverse
Fault: ??????????
Fixed? By: Not yet.
Comments: Engine stalls when in reverse when trying to reverse up a slope. Doesn't do it while reversing down a slope, and drives forward without any problems either up or down slope.
I took it in on friday, and I had parked it nose up the slope, and it wouldn't stall. Of course the ECU, TCU, PCU didn't spit out any error codes. Nooooo that would make it too easy. : Finally we decided to try it with the tail up the slope, and guess what?? It did it. So happy, if you can ever be happy having car problems. : They will have the car tomorrow to see what they can do. Will post what they did.
Old 21-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #234
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure the tank is full of fuel, some units seem to have fuel pickup problems...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #235
Randy_G
wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_G
KMs at time of fault: 6,800+/-
Symtoms: Engine stalls in reverse
Fault: bent pin on a connector
Fixed? By: yes, by B.B. Ford
Comments: Engine stalls when in reverse when trying to reverse up a slope. Doesn't do it while reversing down a slope, and drives forward without any problems either up or down slope.
I took it in on friday, and I had parked it nose up the slope, and it wouldn't stall. Of course the ECU, TCU, PCU didn't spit out any error codes. Nooooo that would make it too easy. : Finally we decided to try it with the tail up the slope, and guess what?? It did it. So happy, if you can ever be happy having car problems. : They will have the car tomorrow to see what they can do. Will post what they did.
They found a bent pin on one of the connectors, and it was breaking it's connection when trying to reverse. Will keep an eye on it for awhile, but it appears to be fixed.
Old 26-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #236
Johnnie
Starter Motor

Default Another dud Focus

I've just bought an LT Focus, CL, with safety pack. So far, have done only 1,100 kms. For the first week all was fine, then I noticed a few problems and booked it in to get checked out.

1. minor clunking noise from suspension. Turns out the suspension wasn't torqued up correctly, bolts were loose (and presumably would eventually have fallen off). I think they actually fixed this problem - though I'm not convinced they retorqued everything

2. rattly noise from motor when car is cold, and clutch is in. Goes away when car is fully warmed up. Since the noise only occurs when the clutch is in I'd assume the noise is clutch-related. The Ford service guys told me this noise is "normal" and that they all do this! What rubbish.

3. I think one of the tyres is ever so slightly out of round - when the tyres are really warm and you're travelling at highway speeds you can hear and feel a very slight thrumming. They did attempt to fix this, by doing a wheel balance (they didn't specify which wheel, or whether they did all wheels) but the problem is now slightly worse as the vibrations can now be felt through the steering wheel. They didn't acknowledge there was a problem - they said they tested the car on a variety of roads and road surfaces at various speeds and their advice was that the tyres are noisy - but the tyres fitted to Focus's are all noisy. Judging by the trip meter (I always note the mileage before and after a service!) they went for a 5 km trip only, which would not have allowed them access to a road on which they could travel at 100 kph, or travel far enough to warm up the tyres, so they were never going to hear the problem.

By the way, I've experienced this problem before, on another car. I just swapped around wheels with the spare until I found the rogue wheel. You can't do that with a Focus - not with the crap space saver spare...

This is my second Focus - and it has much better build quality than the first one! I wasn't happy with the first one and only bought a second one because in many ways they are a great design, good to drive, cheap-ish to run and insure, good room inside and very safe to crash in (apparently). But there's no chance of me ever buying another one.

I'd be grateful for any ideas on what might be causing the noise from the motor.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #237
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my tires taken off the rims and reset to fix a similar problem.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #238
TyphoonCamel
Starter Motor

Month/year build: 2007
Spec Level: LX Sedan
KMs at time of fault: 15000 - 20000
Symtoms: Weird 'clunking' noise when changing from park to drive or from reverse to drive. just today when going around a roundabout, there was a short rattle that came through and i felt it on the accelerator.
Fault: ?
Fixed? By:
Comments: Anyone else getting the clunk when changing from park or reverse to drive? I had it serviced for 15,000K's at st mary's ford in adel, and they couldnt find anything.... nor did the clunk happen when I was there... any help?
Cheers.
TyphoonCamel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #239
focus14
Starter Motor

Red face clunking

Hi typhooncamel,

I have a focus 06 lx.

Well I have issues with clunking when the car is dropping from 2nd to 1st, haven't noticed anything in reverse or park. Have been to ford and they say that everything is fine, so I need to take it further , can't leave it like that. I heard it could be the servo piston seals are buggered.Anyway let me know how you go.
focus14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #240
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

My handbrake doesn't work..... does that qualify for this thread??? AHHAHAHAHAHA
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post