Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Hound dog eats a bloody skewer

last night, my 10 yo Fox hound decided he'd not been fed enough proper food for dinner.

During a walk, he comes across a wooden skewer with a couple of bits of chicken on it, and before our farkn eyes, swallows it down, all 20cm or so of sharpened wood.....

Vet has said to feed him up, and see if it comes out the other end. Flecther the hound dog has become well known at my vets for his accidents, he's been bumped by a car, bitten by a Tiger snake (requiring 2 shots of anit venom) , cut through his rear hock with broken glass (requiring 'after hours' micro surgery)................. eaten loads of plastic bags (containing food, or at least the smell of it), he's been lost up the central Highlands of Tasmania , and now this.....

I'm here at work, he's at home alone.... probably running around like a loony, turn the wrong way too quick... and I have these visions of finding a dead or dying dog when I get home. He's been my best mate for over 10 years.... and it will devastate me if things don't turn out well. he's been through so much crap, now this..

Surgery is booked for 8.45am tomorrow morning to remove the scewer without further injury hopefully.

Tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.

Last edited by tex; 21-07-2008 at 02:10 PM.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

hope all goes well. Lets hope he just passes it.
Old 21-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the risk of sounding like I have no hart

Some dogs are just accedent prown, I had a Rotty once (my ex goet her when we split up, and we namebd her trouble because she could always find it it didnt matter if it was a snake or somthing in the rubbish (I took her to the vet once after she swallowed a condom (that was embarasing) long story short she died 6 years later of natural casues as a very old dog.

I hope all goes well for Fletcher I have a hunch his times not up yet

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
Ringo
I see you....

Thise bits of wood are not strong especially if soaked in water for a bit and they will break if stressed, its not like a bit of metal that will retain its shape no matter what...there is some hope....

Fingers crossed for you, the dog and your wallet...

My little dog swallowed a bit of string off an old carpet strip which went straight through her When she next pooped she ended up with 'poop on a string' dangling out her tush....funniest thing ever....she tried to run but the poop kept following her
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My staffy as a 4 month old swallowed one of those feminine hygiene thingies with a string.....panic stations....amazingly passed it the same day with no obstruction but was definately hedging my bet towards costly sugery. Good luck with the skewer, young Louie has also tried that one but i was lucky to grab it just before it disappered. He has a habit of wolfing down food with nothing more than one crunch eg whole raw drumsticks etc.

LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad luck with the pluto pup!

Hope it goes well, alot of dogs are bloody tuff, she'll be right. I think your dog might have 9 lives.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
loosey

About two years ago my Rhodesian swallowed a skewer as well. We raced her straight down to the vet, she got to spend two nights there. She was operated on the morning after she swallowed it. Within a month you wouldn't know anything had happened apart from all the shaved bits and fresh scars. Dogs are tougher than us, he'll be right.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Thanks all for the kind words, makes me feel a bit better.

I can feel the skewer, it's clearly felt either side of his belly, pointing left / right ACROSS his guts!

He's as good as gold, appears not be in any pain, and as per vets advice, fed him up a big feed..... that's their advice!

Under the knife tomorrow morning, there's no way this thing can come out pointed across his guts... bloody hell you'd think it 'id have to hurt...

Tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 21-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck, hope the damage isn't already done.
Old 22-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

how did your dog pull up mate? hope all is well.
Old 22-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
rodderz

Hopefully he passes it.... then it would make picking up dog turds an easier job!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
FPV 5TH

Any news on how the dog is? Hope he's ok.
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
tex
Broken

Hi all, thanks for your concern.

The skewer is still inside the dog!!!!

He's still as good as gold, been to the vet three times, can't feel the skewer anymore, he's eating like there's nothing wrong, so the advice has been to keep waiting.

I actually wanted him opened up this morning, BUT, they are saying that he will need to be cut from throat to abdomen, and then they'll have to find the skewer by fishing around in his guts / intestine, and that given his current great health and appetite, is a risk not worth undertaking......

he has not crapped it out yet, or spewed it up, so the best guess is that it's in his intestine - between his back legs. OR, he actually did manage to break it into smaller pieces, again, which are still in there. X ray does not show up wood.

keep feeding him up, and tonight give him a big tin of corn ........................ ha ha, try and force it out that way.

Basically, the vet has said unitl he goes off his grub, or shows signs of pain, or can no longer crap, leave it alone....

Still would rather it out than in, but their advice needs to be followed I guess.

Thanks again for caring, the last few days have not been much fun for me.

But Fletch doesn't seem to give a bugger, he has enjoyed going into the vets fior more treats!

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 24-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

mate, my 6kg norfolk terrier swallowed SOME skewers (plural) and he was a bit crook, but threw it back up that night. hope ur dog does the same mate

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
dave289
Banned

my mates german shepard swallowed a golf ball about a year ago.he did not see him swallow it but the dog became crook and could not eat or poop so took him to the vet .they ended up operating and removed the golf ball that was stuck somewhere inside.the dog was fine after that but his wallet did not fair so well.

hopefully for you and your wallet they will not have to operate.dogs have very stong stomach acids which will disolve bones,so hopefully his stomach acid may break it down.the fact that it is wood ,which would become soft and probly break up in the stomach should mean your dog should be fine.If he or she can eat properly and poop properly evrything should be fine.I would say it has disolved and already been passed by the dog,if it had not the dog would have become crook by now.like others have siad ,dogs are tuff and more so their stomach acid.good luck mate evrything should be fine,let us know how things go.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope this all turns out well for your dog but I think its a bit amuzing dozens of people hanging on to every post waiting for a dog to cr@p.
Old 27-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #17
XR8GRL