Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #31
MAD
Petro-sexual

I've just spent today fitting the pro-kit to my EL. unfortunately I ended up with results that dont seem to fit what everyone else has achieved.

It is lower in the rear by approx 10-15mm compared to kings superlows, and higher in the front by at least 40-50mm compared to kings superlows.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the springs in the pro-kit so I can compare what I have?
Old 23-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
MAD
Petro-sexual

I just refitted the King S/L rears to raise it a touch. While I work out what's going on.
I went for a quick lap round the block when I fitted the eibach's and small bumps in the road were soaked up very smoothly, it just hit the bump stops to easily. If it turns out that I do have the correct spring, I think a superpro spring spacer to raise it 10-15mm up to what I would call 'low' height.
The kings are just too harsh for everyday driving.

Since I converted my EA-EL Koni shocks to take AU springs (see photos) I can move the circlip to the lower groove which will lower the spring about 10mm on the shock body (estimating anywhere from 15-20mm at the wheel).
Hopefully that will sort the front end to be at a 'low' height.

Old 23-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #33
Bobman
Regulator

Had standard shocks with King Super Lows in an EL, AU and BA. Shocks were still in good condition following 100,000kms.

Each to their own, but of course Bilstein or Koni shockers will be better. They'd even be better in standard springs.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 11:00 PM   #34
Falconxr68

MAD, I have just recently fitted my Eibach pro-kit to my AU and am really happy with the results. I can't get pics just yet because car is getting some work done to it. The height is just how i wanted it, not too low, but low enough to notice.
Falconxr68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #35
HLC
Audi S3

Mate I'm
Running king SSL's in the front with standard shocks and 'selby' SSL's in the rear with 'ultima' shocks on Ticky 17's. The ride isn't great. But it's very compliant and sits sweet. Definately not too low IMO. But to play it safe. Just get SL's. Any brand. And you'll be happy. Standard shocks or not. Esp if you are running 17's.
Old 24-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #36
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
For Eibach the direct warehouse seem to still be doing them for $220 (what is the retail price?) that's basically the price i paid a bit over 18 months ago.

http://www.eibach.ashop.com.au/p/523840/pro-kit.html

Bugger you just beat me to it haha
was this for all four springs
Old 24-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #37
Falconxr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
was this for all four springs
Yes, all four springs.
Old 25-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #38
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Holy ****
Old 25-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #39
MAD
Petro-sexual

Thinking more about this, I think I might have found a possible solution.
The one detail that I did not look into properly may be the one that has brought me undone.
I never checked if there was a difference in spring seat heights between AU shocks and EL shocks.
I'm thinking now it might be that the AU had a longer spring and a lower spring seat, and cause I've put them on to EL shocks I just have a longer spring therefore raising the vehicle.

Does anyone have access to an EL and an AU shock to compare the spring seat heights?
Old 26-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #40
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Default Eibach Springs

Does Eibach make springs for the IRS on an AU Falcon/Fairlane? If so anyone got a part no. Thanks.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguzzler
Does Eibach make springs for the IRS on an AU Falcon/Fairlane? If so anyone got a part no. Thanks.
Sorry. Eibach only do live rear axle only
http://www.eibach.ashop.com.au/c/182613/4/pro-kit.html

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #42
WannabeXP

Anybody got a before and after on an xr?
Cheap as chips!
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #43
Falconxr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeXP
Anybody got a before and after on an xr?
Cheap as chips!
Cheers Jason
I'll try get pics up but may not be anytime soon as I have some other priorities atm.
Old 27-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #44
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconxr68
I'll try get pics up but may not be anytime soon as I have some other priorities atm.
cheers mate cause they are AUD$150 to ship to new zealand costing me about
NZD$450 in total.
Old 30-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #45
Swedishmoose

Hi guys...

it seems to be a very tricky problem to find the perfect setup...

I gut an AU Futura without IRS.

My idea was to lower the car about 20mm front and 10mm rear.
I wanted to use Bilstein shocks a Whiteline sway bar to reduce body roll and a Nolathane kit to stabilise the ride a bit.

BUT...

I also want to keep the ride comfort because of our crappy roads, i still want to get over rediculous speed bumps. I now think that might be all a bit too much.

I am also not sure what tyre setup would be perfect. I want the wheel arches to be filled by the tyres perfectly so the tyres don't look lost in them. Low profiles on 18 inch would look lost, 19 inch would make the ride bumpy and I don't know how much travel i got before the wheels grind into the wheel arches and it might harm the whole steering because of the big tyres.

So...basically...how low can I get without having trouble at the speed humps and keeping the comfort.

how big can the tyres be without having trouble ruining the wheel arches but filling them out at the same time ?

What tyre size can the front steering cope with ?

It is all so confusing that I haven't done anything yet...

Cheers

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #46
HLC
Audi S3

lots of q's there.

To put it all into perspective, How many cabs do you see with smashed up front quarters where the balloon 215/60r16's have smashed into the guard or caught the lip from hitting bumps while driving? heaps.

So being an idiot, you can smack the guard at any ride height.

I had king low's in my car on 16's and 17's the ride was fine and cleared all speedhumps with ease.

Now with SSL's and 17's, there are very very few speedhumps that i cant negotiate without scraping. just be careful.

if you still want comfort, i would reccommend an 18 inch wheel/tyre package, or put up with 19's that arent that harsh anyway. My dad's GT has 19's and nothing to complain about there. and go SL height at the lowest, its not really that low.

my 2cents. There are other members that can give you better/more accurate input than me.
Old 30-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #47
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
lots of q's there.

To put it all into perspective, How many cabs do you see with smashed up front quarters where the balloon 215/60r16's have smashed into the guard or caught the lip from hitting bumps while driving? heaps.

So being an idiot, you can smack the guard at any ride height.

I had king low's in my car on 16's and 17's the ride was fine and cleared all speedhumps with ease.

Now with SSL's and 17's, there are very very few speedhumps that i cant negotiate without scraping. just be careful.

if you still want comfort, i would reccommend an 18 inch wheel/tyre package, or put up with 19's that arent that harsh anyway. My dad's GT has 19's and nothing to complain about there. and go SL height at the lowest, its not really that low.

my 2cents. There are other members that can give you better/more accurate input than me.
Thats exactly what i would do.

I have 18" advanti rims with tyres, 235/40/R18 and I still dont really hit the guards, but also fill up the wheel arches really nicely, Dads GT has 19" standard wheels and the ride isnt comprimised the only thing is the cost of tyres and rims, also you want the wheel + tyre diameter to be similar to stock as you affect things like braking and the speedo. Heres a handy tool (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) I could lower it without rolling the guards on superlows 30-40mm
eibach springs. about $220 AUD as seen above,
Old 30-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #48
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i run a 18 inch rim with 235 * 40 tyres, thats the same rolling diameter as a 205 60 tyre on a 15 inch rims i had, and i have no problems at all with my speedo

but the 18s kinda ruin the acceleration then the 15s did, but thats the price you pay from turning the bog stock ungly au into something which stands out

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #49
Swedishmoose

is it possible to adjust the speedo electronically and if not I don't think the slight difference in the diameter would cause an extreme inaccurate speedo reading.

By the way...does anybody know a bracing strut for the front suspension domes that would fit without replacing surge tank and what not ?

Cheers

The Moose
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #50
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

all i know is king springs and monroe shocks are like bread and butter. they've gone well together for years.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #51
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
is it possible to adjust the speedo electronically and if not I don't think the slight difference in the diameter would cause an extreme inaccurate speedo reading.

By the way...does anybody know a bracing strut for the front suspension domes that would fit without replacing surge tank and what not ?

Cheers

The Moose
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #52
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
is it possible to adjust the speedo electronically
yep, Jaycar do a kit if you're handy with a soldering iron
http://tinyurl.com/2dsx5v6

There's another crew who supply a completed unit but but I can't rem who.

Someone in here will know...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #53
Swedishmoose

Default Re: which springs?

Hmm...

after reading all the responses I am even more confused..LOL

Well...if i want to put on 18 inch rims I have to use low profile tyres and they look rediculous and lost in the wheel arches. I would have to lower the car to make it look not as bad.

I could put bigger rims on which wouldn't look so stupid but than I increase the diameter of the wheel which makes the speedo useless.

I guess its impossible to combine all my wants and needs LOL

- keep comfort
- reduce body role
- improve the looks without making the tyres look lost in the wheel arches and most importantly keep the wheel diameter

I am going in circles here

The Moose
-
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #54
99AUXR
Brad

if you put a 18" rim with 235/40/R18 tryes on them the speedo will not change.

you will be able to get away with superlows without the rim going into the wheel arche.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #55
99AUXR
Brad

but yes you will lose comfort and the only way to retain a bit would be to change the shocks when you put your springs in.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #56
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Its very difficult to get handling, soft ride comfort and low looks all rolled in the same package. The closet I have seen to having all 3 is coil overs. And everyone knows that aint cheap.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #57
Rosscco

Just after I bought my car a few weeks ago I purchased a set of Kings Super Lows. (haven't fitted them yet) But after reading all the above (and a few other threads) I have decided to sell the Kings Super Lows and purchase a set of Eibach springs, because I sometimes need to drive on ****** roads.
Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #58
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

In terms of a good compromise ride height, i'd just go lows (same as XR height). This leaves about an inch between guard lip and top of tyre so looks low, but is not "silly low". I've had 8 AUs (or maybe only 7), with everything from coilovers to SSLs on IRS XRs, non-IRS Falcon/Fairmonts and leaf sprung wagons, and lows with 18s is the best compromise, and the car looks tough while retaining some manners.

Obviously, as shav suggested, adjustable coilovers are the best because you can lower it when you want to, and raise it back up when you need to, but mine were $1500 just for the front, and around $800 for the live axle rears - you can nearly buy an AU for those funds these days.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #59
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscco
Just after I bought my car a few weeks ago I purchased a set of Kings Super Lows. (haven't fitted them yet) But after reading all the above (and a few other threads) I have decided to sell the Kings Super Lows and purchase a set of Eibach springs, because I sometimes need to drive on ****** roads.
Good choice with the Eibach's. I have found them to be an excellent alternative to the regular brands other people recommend today along with very competitive pricing.

Refer to this link
http://www.eibachdirect.com/p/523840/pro-kit.html

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #60
Rosscco

I actually did order them from eibach direct after reading the reviews on this forum. $220 + $35 shipping and I got them in about 3 days.
Just waiting for Easter to fit them
Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post