Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #31
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
George, you and I both know the back needs to be dropped in that chop by another 2 inches!
Justin pleeeeease!

Next you'll be asking me to hook up some serious subby gear and play the doof doof music! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #32
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
If I get time, I just may be doing that this weekend. Actually I want to swap the S2 Tickford 17s with the S1 Tickford 16s from the wagon. It's a tyre rotation and budget conscious kind of thing! LOL!

Oil change comes first and a few other bits and pieces around the place, and then the rim swap time permitting.

GK
Well I got the rims swapped over. I finished in the dark with the good old dolphin torch! LOL! Said more than a few prayers as even with the torch it was really hard going at the end of the job.

Man those Maxxis tyres which I've got on the 16s are so noisy, never intend buying them again. They wear really well and are good in both the wet and dry, but just so darn noisy. The Roadstones (Nexen N7000s) which I've got on the 17s are great. When the Maxxis stuff is burned up, I'll put Roadstones on the 16s.

The SR looks pretty average now. Oh well. At least the Futura looks pretty good. I'll take some pics when I can and post them up. Everyone will just tell me to hurry up and lower the wagon though! LOL!

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 04-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #33
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Hey George, lower the wagon! Not that I can talk...
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #34
GK
Walking with God

Question

Quote:
Hey George, lower the wagon! Not that I can talk...
I told you all! LOL!

BTW, what 17 rims do you have lying around Justin?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #35
GK
Walking with God

I need to revive this thread again, as there are some very useful pics of that lovely SR wagon that I want to discuss. Is this SR spring and leaf setup stock height?

My suspension on the right of the wagon has sagged, 175,000 kays with gas gear all that time, spare on the right side of the boot etc, has taken its toll.

I need to get some new springs and I have a number of options.

Too Expensive - $1,900 for King Low (comfort) and Kings heavy duty rear leaf setup, with new $380 bush enhancement kit and boge short shocks and camber kit, plus installation!

I get some second hand front shocks and rear leaf springs from a donor S2-3 wagon from the wreckers and get a mate to help me install them. I'd go Boge shocks as well as some new bushes as needed.

How low would this sit though? IIRC, the stock height of S2-3 wagons was lower than S1 wagons. Can anyone confirm this?

Get a local joint that advertises in the local newspaper that "professionally lower" cars starting at $400 with King springs to give me a quote.

Any other ideas?

Has anyone got these bits of a wagon they've since lowered stacks more? A long shot I know but hey, it's always worth asking I reckon! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #36
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Any other ideas?
Drive to the ACT, and we rip out the front and rear springs in the wife's wagon and swap them over with yours. They were JC's old springs

Wife is talking about selling the wagon. This week. Who knows what she'll decide next week :togo:
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #37
HLC
Audi S3

get some lower springs and short shocks for the front and rear, and get the rear leafs reset lower to match.
Old 20-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #38
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gk
Pm sent,get XR6 fronts,and get your rears reset 1-2" lower,that in a nutshell is what mine is.
AU2 SR shocks guessing they are tickford or XR6 as well. Or monroe gas or what ever brand you prefer,you dont need lowered shocks for lowering to XR height.

Keep an eye out on ebay there has been quite a few sets lately............

I need a set for the ghia too now..
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
Drive to the ACT, and we rip out the front and rear springs in the wife's wagon and swap them over with yours. They were JC's old springs

Wife is talking about selling the wagon. This week. Who knows what she'll decide next week :togo:
If it were the school holidays, I'd say that would be a goer. LOL!

As for the resetting options, I reckon my rears are pretty shagged after lugging around the extra weight of a dual fuel set up for 175,000 kays.

I've just printed off the Kings parts numbers for "Lows" on the front and rear. I also sent off an email to one of their approved fitting places for quotes for 1. supply only and 2. Supply and fitting.

I also will ring the Kings distribution place tomorrow to see what the bits alone will cost and probably get a mate to help with the install.

It's times like these you need JC in Melbourne! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #40
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
gk
Pm sent,get XR6 fronts,and get your rears reset 1-2" lower,that in a nutshell is what mine is.
AU2 SR shocks guessing they are tickford or XR6 as well. Or monroe gas or what ever brand you prefer,you dont need lowered shocks for lowering to XR height.
I had thought about getting the XR fronts and getting the rears reset, but I reckon it's a bit mix and match that way. I'd prefer to know that the set is a match from the get go, if you get me?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #41
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
gk

Keep an eye out on ebay there has been quite a few sets lately............

I need a set for the ghia too now..
The only thing I would add to that is to get an extra leaf added to the rear springs.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #42
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'm contemplating similar things GK on my wagon, and I reckon I'll go some Whiteline lows on the front, and I'll get my rears reset with an extra leaf added. Will only go low enough in the back to have it sit level (LPG conversion will need to be decided on before then). Shocks will depend on what I do with the car - some cheapys such as boge's get pretty good feedback or possibly some Koni reds.

I personally will not use the Kings springs and Monroe GT combo ever again. I've had them in 3-4 cars now over the years, and they are always the same - CRAP! Whether the springs are lows, superlows or ultras, they are always bouncy in varying degrees, sag unevenly and give unpredictable heights from the start. Monroe GT's are ok at the start, but wear very quickly in my experience and turn to crap within 20,000-30,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
BTW, what 17 rims do you have lying around Justin?

GK
Sorry GK, missed this post! I have the AU Fairlane 17's that were on my wagon. Details in the link in my sig below. I'm pretty negotiable on that price :
Old 20-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #43
GK
Walking with God

That's some good feedback there Justin.

I'll also be looking into what Pedders offer, but I think I like the idea of boge shocks all round. I could simply purchase their coils and leaf spring bits and install them myself.

GK

Quote:
I'm contemplating similar things GK on my wagon, and I reckon I'll go some Whiteline lows on the front, and I'll get my rears reset with an extra leaf added. Will only go low enough in the back to have it sit level (LPG conversion will need to be decided on before then). Shocks will depend on what I do with the car - some cheapys such as boge's get pretty good feedback or possibly some Koni reds.

I personally will not use the Kings springs and Monroe GT combo ever again. I've had them in 3-4 cars now over the years, and they are always the same - CRAP! Whether the springs are lows, superlows or ultras, they are always bouncy in varying degrees, sag unevenly and give unpredictable heights from the start. Monroe GT's are ok at the start, but wear very quickly in my experience and turn to crap within 20,000-30,000 kms.

Sorry GK, missed this post! I have the AU Fairlane 17's that were on my wagon. Details in the link in my sig below. I'm pretty negotiable on that price :

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #44
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

ok interesting because i have monroe gt shocks and king low springs on my el and havent been a problem ! if mine turns to crap what combo would you recommend !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #45
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

do a phot chop with bf m2 typhoon rims please !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #46
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

If you need it GK, i still have the stock 4wd leafs from my ute if you need/want them. They'd fit, but it'd probably be higher.

As for leaves i would go with pedders stuff and install it yourself.
If i remember right, pedders has an XR height 2 stage spring (comfort but will firm up with load) with added leaf
or a 25ish mm lower than XR, single stage (comfort) spring with added leaf. This is what i have.

Both were $400 roughly if i remember rightly, ring around a few joint and get prices.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #47
GK
Walking with God

Thanks for that info roo!

I think I'll be giving Pedders a ring tomorrow.

Cheers,

GK

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
If you need it GK, i still have the stock 4wd leafs from my ute if you need/want them. They'd fit, but it'd probably be higher.

As for leaves i would go with pedders stuff and install it yourself.
If i remember right, pedders has an XR height 2 stage spring (comfort but will firm up with load) with added leaf
or a 25ish mm lower than XR, single stage (comfort) spring with added leaf. This is what i have.

Both were $400 roughly if i remember rightly, ring around a few joint and get prices.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 20-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #48
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Just for your info, whatever brand of springs you get they will need a new front bush. You can use your old one but it is easier and for the price (Shouldn't be to much), just get the suspension place to press a new one in. Will save a lot of hassels and the springs will just "bolt" in then.

And more info, the RRP of my springs were $175 each and bushes were $30 each.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #49
GK
Walking with God

Got a quote from a Pedders store near me today.

$1,230 all up.
That's for resetting and adding another leaf to my rear springs and seting them up at XR height. It's for Pedders comfort touring springs on the front plus new Pedders comfort gas shocks all round. He didn't recommend shorter shocks for just going to XR height.

The installation was $220 plus $55 for the alignment.

Personally, I like this option far better than the $1,900 option and also better than the gathering of second hand bits from a donor vehicle from the wreckers.

It's good to get new gear from time to time.

Thoughts anyone?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 21-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #50
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

$1,230 all up.
That's for resetting and adding another leaf to my rear springs and seting them up at XR height. It's for Pedders comfort touring springs on the front plus new Pedders comfort gas shocks all round. He didn't recommend shorter shocks for just going to XR height.

Personally, I like this option far better than the $1,900 option and also better than the gathering of second hand bits from a donor vehicle from the wreckers.

Thoughts anyone?

GK
For Pedders, that's a surprisingly reasonable quote! Is that including install, or is that the 220 on top?
Old 21-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #51
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
For Pedders, that's a surprisingly reasonable quote! Is that including install, or is that the 220 on top?
All up, including GST too I'd expect.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 22-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #52
robjunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

$1,230 all up.

Thoughts anyone?

GK
this is the set up i have from pedders as well.its been fitted for about a year now and i am quite happy with it.i also had them fit a camber kit as well while everything was out. was it the campbellfield store you went to,as i went there and was happy with them.(they where switched on to what i wanted)
robjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #53
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
All up, including GST too I'd expect.

GK
Pretty reasonable then, surprisingly so!
Old 23-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #54
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjunior
this is the set up i have from pedders as well.its been fitted for about a year now and i am quite happy with it.i also had them fit a camber kit as well while everything was out. was it the campbellfield store you went to,as i went there and was happy with them.(they where switched on to what i wanted)
Thanks for that input Rob.

Any pics?

Also, did they put in an extra leaf in the rear?

Also, is your wagon used for yourself or for family duties? I'd hate to have the kids bumped around lots in the rear because of the extra leaf.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 23-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #55
robjunior

no extra leaf done.my wife drives the car most of the time and no complaints from her or the kids(aged 10 + 13).its the family car as well so its been on long trips and no complaints from passengers on those trips.as for pics i have some at www.aufalcon.com.au/robjunior
Old 24-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #56
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
no extra leaf done.my wife drives the car most of the time and no complaints from her or the kids(aged 10 + 13).its the family car as well so its been on long trips and no complaints from passengers on those trips.as for pics i have some at www.aufalcon.com.au/robjunior
Cheers Rob,

Those pics were most helpful. I printed off a few and will take them with me.

Today's done though, it may have to be next weekend. If the Mrs is working then, it'll be the weekend after.

It will be done though, oh yes, it will be done! LOL!

Here's another question though. I've got the S2 Tickford 17s on it now. If I get the height set with those, what will happen when I put the S1 Clover Leaf 16s back on? Will the gap from the tyre to the guard increase or decrease much? 17s are 235/45 and the 16s are 225/50.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 24-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #57
robjunior

have a look at pedders website.they have pictures of 1:au wagon on 16's 2:ba wagon on 17's.i told them i wanted it like the ba. they also have the gutter to wheel arch measurements as well
Old 24-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #58
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
have a look at pedders website.they have pictures of 1:au wagon on 16's 2:ba wagon on 17's.i told them i wanted it like the ba. they also have the gutter to wheel arch measurements as well
Another helpful post Rob,

Thanks again.

The S1 wagon looks good, but the BA is certainly better. I'm probably after something between the two! LOL! That will give me the flexibility to use either the 16 or 17 inch rims.

http://www.pedders.com.au/photoGallery/0/2
http://www.pedders.com.au/photoGallery/0/2/photo76

I'll talk to them about it and see what they say.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 24-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #59
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

The over all diameter should be unnoticable between the 2 wheels i think on the car GK

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #60
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Here's another important one Rob.

When you and the family go off fully loaded, what does the rear look like then? Does it stay at the same height? Is it even, or lower than the front?

I may need the back a inch or more higher than the front to allow for holiday loading.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG