Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #31
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
LOL!! smartarse..

But I was seriously told, any modification from factory requires an engineers cert. Nothing was mentioned about compliance with ADR's either.
I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.
Some know very little. Works to our advantage sometimes. Like the time I got canaried for no pollution gear in a non-pollution vehicle. It's a pain but what can you do. Just because they are the law don't assume they know much.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #32
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

anyone know where i can get a 1965 tyre placcard from for my XP? LOL

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #33
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
anyone know where i can get a 1965 tyre placcard from for my XP? LOL
Ebay... did they have tyres back then? I though they had carriage wheels :hihi:

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 PM   #34
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Ebay... did they have tyres back then? I though they had carriage wheels :hihi:
could well be! most of the other stickers are written in latin.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
could well be! most of the other stickers are written in latin.
Its not latin.. turn yor head 180 degrees.. you are reading it upsidedown again :

Old 10-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #36
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Its not latin.. turn yor head 180 degrees.. you are reading it upsidedown again :

rereads: Best Before 1st September, 1970.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 10-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #37
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
rereads: Best Before 1st September, 1970.
still BBQ fresh then.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #38
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingover
this happened in melbourne not nsw i used to live in werribee just moved to broady and guys ill tell you the cops here are all over the place at nights i hate it
i'm from around broady aswell, and like crossingover said, there are cops all over the place not just at nights but you would see at least 2-3 during the day. i once got pulled over, i was driving out of the car park of the shops, at the same time the cop was driving in the car park, made a quick u-turn, followed me from a distant for about 200 metres and then pulled me over. she...yes she, quite attractive also :P must have thought i was an 18 year old P plater or something.

Also you getting defected for your 19"s and ride height is ridiculous, i have 19"s on aswell and my ride height is just hanging on by a thread from the legal limit but she (the cop) didn't relize at all.

cheers
Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #39
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

My advice is , and i did it with my XE years ago , as being 18 and on p's back then in a done up car i got pulled over all the time .....

Im not sure if you can still get it done but i assume you can ....

Goto vic-roads and get them to run over the car , state what mods it has etc etc , and dated signed by them , costed me about $60 for it in the earlly 80's ..

If there is anything wrong they will tell you there and then ! , but you also end up with a certificate you can bang it up the cops bums with / i used to flash the certificate and they wouldn't even bother looking over the car .

And alot of stuff must of changed since those days , as all i needed engineers certificate for back in those days was for the modded diff and mounts ( i had the irs jag diff fitted ). The rest i did myself and it passed at vic-roads np , then passed for a certificate a few months later too np . I also had 15 inch rims with 255's on the rear , which was way over stock , but still passed vic-roads with them np. Sounds like they have really tightened up since old days .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #40
BlackLS

Re wheels, if you are over the RTA guidelines, thats when you have to get an engineers certificate for wheels. Even then if the cops a real asre, they can still defect you regardless of the cert or not. Clearing the defect becomes a LOT easier though, involving going to inspection, showing the cert and on your merry way, instead of having to stockify your car again.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #41
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Im not sure if you can still get it done but i assume you can ....

Goto vic-roads and get them to run over the car , state what mods it has etc etc , and dated signed by them , costed me about $60 for it in the earlly 80's ..

I 'dont think Vicroads have there own facilities or do their own testing anymore, they treat their licensed testers as authorites on the rules, but do have inspectors that get involved in problem cases that a tester may be involved in.

Please feel free to step in and correct this if the info is incorrect as it's been a few years since I was involved in testing

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #42
StookEB

So who would you get an engineers certificate from for wheels?
Shouldn't they have put the tyre placard back on?
StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #43
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

crossingover, dont you know any mechanics who can write up a bodgy rwcert?
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #44
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
Two weeks later he was done in Qld, he produced the engineers certificate and was told that NSW engineers certificates are not vaild in Qld. He's given up and got rid of the ute.
Thats just crap.

Just because i have an Engineering qualification in VIC doesnt mean i cant work in QLD. That cop was on a trip.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #45
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

There was a blitz on up in Northern NSW a couple of weeks back, a mate of mine with a very very very Hot WRX was simply driving home and got pulled up by out of town cops, sent down to the RTA and over the pits, he was told he needed an Engineers cert for his non standard exhaust (No such thing as an engineers cert for exhaust and thats from his engineer). They said they were cracking down on hoons, there was a mid 40's guy there with his wife, and 2 teenage daughters who got pulled up in there stock standard SS Commodore, and they were classed as Hoons aswell & put over the pits. This was at about 10pm at night, its bullshit.

Also, i believe its 2 inches bigger you can go on rims off standard wheel sizes, so mine having the nice tickford plate saying 17" mags means i can go to 19" with no probs at all. But speaking to my insuarance company, they said i can go as big as i want as long as i dont go any more than 1" wider.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #46
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

ive seen this car at epping shops...looks fantastic
broady is a haven for cops who like issueing defects unfortunetly
how did u go sorting it out?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #47
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

avoid the speculation and get a hard copy of your state D.O.T modification rules.. Go thru it and highlight any areas that pertain to your mods and when questioned about mods by the plod or D.O.T officers produce the relevant paperwork..

THe key is though to NOT act like a smart ar$e know it all and simply query why you have followed the guidelines and are now in this dilema..

Qld ... rim size is irrelevant...Rolling Diameter is the key
"The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by more than +15mm or -26mm."
Width must not exceed 1.3 times wider or 70% smaller than the placard specs

eg:- 16*225*60= 676mm and 20*245*35= 679mm so that is only 3mm.. way under the 15mm allowance.. width is not an issue either with most fat rears not exceeding the 1.3 times rule

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #48
crossingover

hi guys sorry for late replies but been busy changing parts springs and wheels to get roady.
Firstly i am not one to draw attention to myself as some have sais im 36 and at the time i had my wife 13 year old daughter and son in my car.
I was a smart **** for a good reason at the time i realised copper was going to defect me for height and wheels i dragged the wife and kids out of car to steer his attention away from car and kicked up a fuss,because my turbo is not engineered and to my suprise it worked w,,,nker didnt ask me to pop the bonnet.
Ive almost changed it back to standard and for those who dont understand broady is friggen unbelivable the cops here hate lowered or cars with exhausts they have stings all over some nights all it takes is the same patrol unit to see you twice in one night or day and you are guaranteed to get d###cked
crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #49
xwgthoe

All being fair in love and war if he fined you for driving a vehicle unregistered maybe it should have been home in the garage in the first place and then it would not have got defected.......
xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #50
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

I'm dead serious guys in WA you don't have to put up with any of this defecting S**t at all.

Gotta love it here.....

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #51
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwgthoe
All being fair in love and war if he fined you for driving a vehicle unregistered maybe it should have been home in the garage in the first place and then it would not have got defected.......
um, from what i read, the car was defected, then the driver was told he couldn't drive it home. The car was not unregistered in the first place. Once a defect notice is given, since it classes the car as 'unroadworthy' then it's not legal to drive it until the 'defects' are fixed. Thus the fine for driving an 'unregistered' vehicle. I may have misinterpreted though ?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 02:57 AM   #52
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

sorry to hear it mate
got a full set of standard springs for AU ............
offer me a reasonalable price its yours

cheers
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #53
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingover
Hi guys on my way home from the roxburgh tavern tonight after dinner there was a booz bus and roadworthy inspections,You should of seen the smile on the coppers face when he saw my car signalled for me to pull in and defected me for 19 inch wheels and ride height.My car is fairly low so it was bound to happen.I need to change my rear springs was hoping someone on the forum would have some stock rear springs or just lows for au live axel also need 2 16 inch stockies with tyres preferably as i already have 2 can anyone help me out im in melb northern suburbs damn im thinking buying 19 inch wheels was a wrong move.The police were also local police from my suburb so im thinking even after putting standard wheels on and clearing defect ill pit 19s back on but these guys might just repeat the defect if they see me driving again.Also ill post in wanted section as well just was hoping by posting here ill get a quicker response.It would be great if someone can help a aff member out not expecting it for free will pay just want to soert this out hopefully by monday so i can clear defect as im currently using car for work :heres some pics of how low it is (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...159#post924159

There is a lot of bs on this thread. Before deciding on what work needs to be done the following points must be answered.

Firstly what was the rolling diameter of the wheels that were on the car and what are the rolling diameters of the tyres on the tyre placard? The tyre diameter can be no more than 15mm greater than the biggest tyre diameter on the placard and no less than 15mm in diameter than the smallest diameter tyre on the tyre placard.

Secondly was there 100mm of ground clearance?

Thirdly was 2/3rds of the original suspension retained at both the front and rear?

Fourthly was the relationship between the front and rear heights unduly affected?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #54
xwgthoe

Fantz, pretty sure that he would have been fined for driving an Unroadworthy vehicle as opposed to an Unregistered vehicle. The car can still be registered but unroadworthy at the same time, anyhow if you modify a vechile and get nicked for it cop it on the chin and get on with it I say.
xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #55
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwgthoe
Fantz, pretty sure that he would have been fined for driving an Unroadworthy vehicle as opposed to an Unregistered vehicle. The car can still be registered but unroadworthy at the same time, anyhow if you modify a vechile and get nicked for it cop it on the chin and get on with it I say.
yeah i'm just waiting for the thread starter to clarify that fine.. seems a little odd.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #56
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might have been a pink sticker not a yellow. Can't drive a pinky home, you can drive a canary.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #57
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
There is a lot of bs on this thread. Before deciding on what work needs to be done the following points must be answered.

Firstly what was the rolling diameter of the wheels that were on the car and what are the rolling diameters of the tyres on the tyre placard? The tyre diameter can be no more than 15mm greater than the biggest tyre diameter on the placard and no less than 15mm in diameter than the smallest diameter tyre on the tyre placard.

Secondly was there 100mm of ground clearance?

Thirdly was 2/3rds of the original suspension retained at both the front and rear?

Fourthly was the relationship between the front and rear heights unduly affected?
You can disagree as much as you want and point out the legalities of the car . If the Police officer gives you the defect its your problem not his to prove the car is not unroadworthy he only issues the defect & fine & has the police legal team to back him up if it goes to court & in the end it still leaves you out of pocket & ****ed off.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #58
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
You can disagree as much as you want and point out the legalities of the car . If the Police officer gives you the defect its your problem not his to prove the car is not unroadworthy he only issues the defect & fine & has the police legal team to back him up if it goes to court & in the end it still leaves you out of pocket & ****ed off.
That may be true, but you only need to correct the items that are actually unroadworthy not the items that the police officer objected to. Looking at photos of the car in question it may get away with only some higher rear springs and the return of the tyre placard.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #59
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another fine thread showing the usefulness of Internet Legal Advice.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #60
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
That may be true, but you only need to correct the items that are actually unroadworthy not the items that the police officer objected to. Looking at photos of the car in question it may get away with only some higher rear springs and the return of the tyre placard.
I would agree on that. I know it must have been fustrating but I would have not driven off in front of him .
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post