Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Should AU Falcons etc have a bonnet bulge?
Yes, AUs look better with a bonnet bulge. 64 63.37%
No, AUs are better as they came from the factory. 37 36.63%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #31
tim_pato

Default Re: AUs. Bonnet Bulge. Yes or No?

yes, plus 1 if its functional! theres somthing about looking over a bonnet scoop while dirving, i have no doubt a bulge would be the same.
Old 29-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the one thing I love about the bulge. Is the view from the front seats.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
That's the one thing I love about the bulge. Is the view from the front seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Until you drive on a long straight road & the suns glearing off it!
Agreed they look great from the inside Bucky, but Gutles is right; the reflection off the back edge of the bulge on the C/F bonnets I had on my BA's used to drive me nuts!

Get the sun hitting it at the wrong angle and it's worse than oncoming high beams in your face at night...
Old 29-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADFORD000 View Post
I say yes. Heres a pic of mine
How about a pic of the underside?
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #35
2000auwagon
suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
So as to not clutter Kristos thread..

Totally agree, chazs au shows how right a fg bulge looks on a au...
let me say your AU is beautiful, it gives me a tear to my eye (sniff) very nice, I love it

CAUTION: I have opinions that could offend and have some methods that could seem 'unorthodox' to some, yet work effectively.

2000auwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yes - though IMHO, they should be limited to V8s because the bonnet bulge first appeared on the BA XR8 as they needed it for clearance. The BA was the AV (progression of AU series) but was re-lettered to distance it from the "failure" AU....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
Agreed they look great from the inside Bucky, but Gutles is right; the reflection off the back edge of the bulge on the C/F bonnets I had on my BA's used to drive me nuts!

Get the sun hitting it at the wrong angle and it's worse than oncoming high beams in your face at night...
matt black bonnet will fix that right up
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The BA was the AV (progression of AU series) but was re-lettered to distance it from the "failure" AU....
If you're going by existing part numbers as proof, then technically, the AU was the ER Falcon and was changed to AU at the last minute by Jac Nasser to play up its uniquely all Australian design over the VT Commode which was a just a stretched & tweaked version of the Opel Omega design...

And the FG supposedly took that designation in part as homage to the Fairmont Ghia...

All of which has nothing to do with the OT...
Old 29-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #39
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
If you're going by existing part numbers as proof, then technically, the AU was the ER Falcon and was changed to AU at the last minute by Jac Nasser to play up its uniquely all Australian design over the VT Commode which was a just a stretched & tweaked version of the Opel Omega design...

And the FG supposedly took that designation in part as homage to the Fairmont Ghia...

All of which has nothing to do with the OT...
Interesting info though JR

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #40
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

My thought is - no way. The AU range has a style all it's own. Tacking any B-Series stuff on an AU wrecks the look, particularly on any of the gorgeous Tickford badged models. Good luck to the peeps that do it, I have no beef with them but I think AU/B Series cross pollination is the pits.

Interestingly when the T3s were released I remember seeing sketches (can't remember if it was Wheels or Motor) of a T3 with bonnet bulges (similar to an EB GT) The FTE designers must've toyed with the idea of a bulge as a lead into the 'T4s' (BA GTs) bulge.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #41
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
My thought is - no way. The AU range has a style all it's own. Tacking any B-Series stuff on an AU wrecks the look, particularly on any of the gorgeous Tickford badged models. Good luck to the peeps that do it, I have no beef with them but I think AU/B Series cross pollination is the pits.

Interestingly when the T3s were released I remember seeing sketches (can't remember if it was Wheels or Motor) of a T3 with bonnet bulges (similar to an EB GT) The FTE designers must've toyed with the idea of a bulge as a lead into the 'T4s' (BA GTs) bulge.
You do realise that door shape is the same on AUs and BAs, so it's not really cross pollination (not in the same manner as e series parts on an AU or vice versa). Which is why I posted up the link between BA & AV to show that a BA is just a hyped AU4 anyway so the bulge is OK (IMO).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #42
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
You do realise that door shape is the same on AUs and BAs, so it's not really cross pollination (not in the same manner as e series parts on an AU or vice versa). Which is why I posted up the link between BA & AV to show that a BA is just a hyped AU4 anyway so the bulge is OK (IMO).
Great input JC. Very interesting. Do you have any idea why a B series is so much heavier than an AU? Apart from the Boss motor (which is why they needed a bulge) the B series are much much heavier. Even the 6cyl models are heavier (ok the barra has an extra cam).

I find it interesting that a BA XR8 has a heavier kerb weight than my AU LTD with all of the fruit. Sort of makes the 260kw a bit of a joke in my opinion. Give me a 220kw AU XR anyday.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 30-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ba 6`s had a windage tray as well i think, slightly bigger brakes, a bit more sheet metal in the b series roof, rear end more metal too with the sqauring off i would imagine,
might be a bit of extra weight in wheels and tyres too if they are bigger on the b series, ...........au`s had a single piece tail shaft, alloy on my xr6, not sure of other au models, did`nt ford go the 2 piece in the b series?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 06:08 AM   #44
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Great input JC. Very interesting. Do you have any idea why a B series is so much heavier than an AU? Apart from the Boss motor (which is why they needed a bulge) the B series are much much heavier. Even the 6cyl models are heavier (ok the barra has an extra cam).

I find it interesting that a BA XR8 has a heavier kerb weight than my AU LTD with all of the fruit. Sort of makes the 260kw a bit of a joke in my opinion. Give me a 220kw AU XR anyday.

Cheers
Stu
1760 Kg for a BA XR8 (and I think the XR6 is only 10 Kg lighter) versus 1510 Kg for an AU XR8. I only found that out a couple of days ago. An extra 250 Kg sort of negates the 40 Kw advantage really....but now we're off topic, sorry.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #45
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:

Cheers
Stu
The IRS on the BA was an anchor around it's neck, especially considering it didn't handle particularly better than the live axle AU.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #46
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I voted yes. I think that they certainly suit certain AU's better than others. Here is a pic of one I got off from eBay. Full metal and pretty well finished. When I get some coin over the next month or so ill get it painted and then fitted. Same goes for the genuine Tickford lip. And there will be a custom rear bar at some point to finish it all off nicely, just need more time...Here is a pic of it unpainted.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #47
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

^ Envying the work space.
Old 30-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #48
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
^ Envying the work space.
Yep...probably one of the key reasons I'm still living at home :/ borrowed this space for the past 10 and a half months from Dads grips.

Ps could a Mod please delete my double post above thanks,
Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #49
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Yes JC, I'm well versed in the transition from AU to BA and BA is in no way a hyped AU4.

As much as I don't like the way they drive, or the bland styling of the lower end models the B-Series is very much a different beast.

They may share door skins, but the AU's curvy, bulbous body is nothing like the BA's plain jane, square jawed look. The bonnet bulge(s), body kits and wheels (factory Ford or aftermarket) from B-Series were designed to complement that shape and I think they clash (for the most part) with the AU shape.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #50
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post
The IRS on the BA was an anchor around it's neck...
Yes, isn't the Control Blade IRS fitted into a steel cradle for NVH isolation that brings the total weight of the IRS to something like 150kg+ on its own? Also they upped the sound deadening for NVH reasons, so that always weighs a lot...

So mostly the extra weight seems to be for NVH reasons - worked though, as they finally won COTY with it and then the Terry on the same platform...
Old 30-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #51
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Yes JC, I'm well versed in the transition from AU to BA and BA is in no way a hyped AU4.
Back to my point about the AU really being the ER. So if;

AU = ER
BA = ES
BF = EX
FG = EY

(As I don't think they would have used ET, EU & EZ for obvious reasons, and EW just sounds too like VW).

But then, if you think about it, Ford were suddenly getting very close to combined vowel sounds that could be mistaken for VR, VS, VX & VY by someone not listening closely, so looking ahead, perhaps they were smart to realise this and make the switch to the AU designation when they did (If only it had worked and they'd stuck with AY that is...).
Old 30-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #52
sirchAU
'mechanically-challenged'

I voted yes, but only if the car has a V8 under the bonnet. Something about a bulge with a 6 underneath it just doesn't seem right to me IMO
Old 31-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #53
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

6 cyl cars with bulge are far too common , and they seem to be fitted to Commodores too ,I have even seen one on a green Ford Escort ,at least it was a Ford ! I think the bulge really suits th wagon shape , I have wanted to put a wrecked BAXR8 ute driveline and trim into a BA wagon ,it would have been a great machine had the factory done it .
Old 31-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #54
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
1760 Kg for a BA XR8 (and I think the XR6 is only 10 Kg lighter) versus 1510 Kg for an AU XR8. I only found that out a couple of days ago. An extra 250 Kg sort of negates the 40 Kw advantage really....but now we're off topic, sorry.
Above statement is not correct with regard to weight of AU XR8. closer to 1650kg+ Also wise to consider the torque as well

for performance times.....

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Ford-...0/article.html
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #55
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I voted yes. I think they look good in both high and low series.

That said, I won't be fitting one to my T anytime.
Old 31-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #56
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
Above statement is not correct with regard to weight of AU XR8. closer to 1650kg+ Also wise to consider the torque as well

for performance times.....

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Ford-...0/article.html
According to Redbook, AUIII XR8 Manual -Kerb Weight, 1500KG. Auto 1510KG??????

2002 BA XR8 Manual - 1740 KG, Auto 1760KG

And, just because it is me:
2002 AUII LTD V8 1785KG

stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Last edited by auIILTD; 31-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 31-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #57
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
According to Redbook, AUIII XR8 Manual -Kerb Weight, 1500KG. Auto 1510KG??????

2002 BA XR8 Manual - 1740 KG, Auto 1760KG

stu
Umm, hate to burst your bubble here Stu, but Redbook, she ain't so accurate...

Same source lists a 1999 AU Forte V8 at 1600kg, but a 2001 Forte V8 at 1505kg.

BA is no doubt a porker. but the 'light' AU comes in part from manufacturer 'Kerb' weights that are dry of fluids and no spare tyre on board.
Old 31-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #58
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

MMM. No bubble burst.

Just did a quick lookup on redbook for comparison. Thought that it was interesting.

Interesting thought on kerb weight. I thought that it was supposed to include fluids etc.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Last edited by auIILTD; 31-12-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: premature submisison
Old 31-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #59
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Just for reference sake, I've had a few of my cars on the local weigh bridge over the years.

All manuals
AU3 XR8 220 sedan - 1660kg
AU3 XR8 P250 ute - 1800kg
AU2 XLS I6 ute - 1600kg
BA XL I6 ute - 1660kg
XH XL I6 ute - 1600kg
2 users like this post: