Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default small compensatory payout from E.T.S.A.

I got a letter from ETSA yesterday with a cheque inside for $140......puzzling?

turns out this is a payment for the loss of power due to the recent storms, we lost power for some 14 hours, no big deal, i just fired up a small generator and kept the fridge running, found some torches and candles and had a cuppa and a yak with the old girl and the neighbours who came over...quite a pleasant time actually

I got to thinking (never a good sign) that with the tens of thousands of people around the joint that lost their power this "small" payment would amount to millions of dollars

who's idea was that, we the tax payers, pay this....no wonder our bills are rising

used to be that when the power went down, and it did so on a regular basis, out would come the candles and the cards and all of a sudden it was family time,

I treasured those times and would often hope for a power failure

how times have changed!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: small compensatory payout from E.T.S.A.

I take it ETSA is an electricity provider in South Australia. Are they government or privately owned?

Good to see you received some compensation. First time I have ever heard of anyone getting money back from a supplier
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure that they will get it (and more) back from you over the next few billing cycles.....
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

too bad if you lost a freezer full of food..

go blow it all on beer.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! sorry....E.T.S.A. are the principal power suppliers!.....I put the cheque in my bank this morning along with yesterdays takings

there were a heap of yobbo's all lining up with their cheques in hand!

I reckon the pubs and drug dealers will do very well today!

there is compensation available if a loss does occur but we didn't lose anything and I personally didn't find it an inconvenience but I'm sure there are people out there that did, I feel sorry for them

peter B there is no question the buggers will rip it back!

the woman behind the counter at the bank said her husband is a head linesman and he was out working his backside off in the rain trying to get the power back.....she said he feels like it is a kick in the bum to him!

I'm just mystified as to what shiny butt thought this one up........never mind, one more thing to make you go HMMMmmm!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Miss_XR6

During 2011 hot summer in sydney I was loosing power on a daily basis for 2 weeks
Our household was compensated for the food lost on a daily basis (they usually shut the power off between work hours when no one was home and than again from around 8pm-2am)
We werent the only ones that got it either
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is all about how long the power was out for.

There is guidlines about how much compensation you get.

Here in Victoria it will show on your power bill if you get a credit for having the power out for a long period of time.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ETSA are responsible for the infrastructure and metering but dont actually produce any power since all the power stations were privatised. IT wouls seem no one in government has played monopoly, when you sell all your assets you lose!
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

In the North we call that Cyclone Lotto...

Most people claim it, a lot of them are not entitled to it and were not even in town when it happenned. Pubs, taxis, Harvey Norman and the police are all very busy on Lotto day.

And most of these people would be lucky to have half a pizza and a six pack in their fridge.

In the old days you got a generator, or went "camping" in your house, as you said it is family time and you just dealt with it.

These days everyone screams for compo.

Save the money for the people who lose their house, not their power.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ my point exactly.....I heard a couple of blokes say they got $450,.....ridiculous in my books.....

Hah! cyclone lottery, love it!......I didn't claim it, I didn't want it, I cant see the point in a payment unless a loss had actually occurred

yep! E.T.S.A.....Electricity Trust of South Australia......they own the infrastructure but not the generators nor the rights to distribute

Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Matty4
Banana

We were away over the Christmas/New Year break and we lost power to the house for over 24 hours. We know this because my MIL came over daily to feed the cat!!

When we returned home we had to throw out all the food in the freezer and it cost us close to $500 to replace it...........no compo though!!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
We were away over the Christmas/New Year break and we lost power to the house for over 24 hours. We know this because my MIL came over daily to feed the cat!!

When we returned home we had to throw out all the food in the freezer and it cost us close to $500 to replace it...........no compo though!!

did you apply?.....there is compensation for losses that are directly attributable to power loss, I don't know how to apply but I do know of others that have got it

Old 09-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have a unit in Sydney that I hardly pay water usage / connection for. I think in the last 2 years I have only paid 2 bills. The rest have been $0 then on the back it explains that this is due to 'disruption of service'....

I don't live there, but have never got a complaint from the tenant either.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post