Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
peterljohnson55

Default AU2 Fairmont Ghia DRIVER's SEAT SWITCH

Seems my switch has had the Moby, but cant figure out exactly what I need due to conflicting info.

One pic shows trim and other a detail at the switch location.
We use the screw driver, which replaces the missing middle toggle, to move the seat forward and backward.
The rear toggle causes the rear of seat base to move up and down.
The front toggle causes the front of seat base to move up or down.

1) Does the above amount to a 6 way memory?
In the AU2 Fairmont Ghia, is the seat a 4-way or 6-way memory?

2) Is the BA BF driver's seat same as AU2?

OR

Will the BA BF switch match and substitute for the AU2's?
I have found the parts: BA14A701a for 4-way. BA14A701B for 6 way, here ... http://stores.ebay.com.au/Adelaide-P...83189&x=27&y=8

4) Does any one have one of the finger-push 'handle' thingies, which I believe fits onto all the toggles of the switch and over the top of the trim along the side of the seat? I think I have lost mine, if I ever had one at all.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks, Peter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-10-005.jpg (95.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-10-006.jpg (119.3 KB, 26 views)
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------

Last edited by peterljohnson55; 04-10-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: pics added
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
peterljohnson55

Default Re: AU2 Fairmont Ghia DRIVER's SEAT SWITCH

Here is the handle thingy (red dot) I am after as well as the switch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD Seat switch..JPG (17.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 19-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
1) Does the above amount to a 6 way memory?
In the AU2 Fairmont Ghia, is the seat a 4-way or 6-way memory?
6-way, but drop the word memory. That refers to the seat remembering a range of positions for different drivers, selected via numbered buttons or the key's identity.

Quote:
2) Is the BA BF driver's seat same as AU2?
Nope.

Quote:
Will the BA BF switch match and substitute for the AU2's?
I have found the parts: BA14A701a for 4-way. BA14A701B for 6 way, here ... http://stores.ebay.com.au/Adelaide-P...83189&x=27&y=8
Quote:
4) Does any one have one of the finger-push 'handle' thingies, which I believe fits onto all the toggles of the switch and over the top of the trim along the side of the seat? I think I have lost mine, if I ever had one at all.
Yes, but it's on my car! For the price of those switches in the eBay link, you could get a clapped out S2 seat complete and take the whole side trim off it.

You could also use a S1 switch/trim assembly, but it's not as well positioned or as nicely finished. The plug on the wiring fits straight onto the seat's wiring.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
peterljohnson55

Thank you silver, that is so helpful.
I can get a fabric-torn AU1 seat for $15 but was unsure whether the trim shield and switch would be accommodated in the AU2 body.

Are you saying that I wont have a problem at all?
Attached is pic of underside of seat right up to where the AU1 switch would be located.

I suppose I have the option of swapping out the AU2 seat base for the AU1's, and keeping my leather.

Maybe the AU1 switch itself may be the same as AU2, forgetting about the trim shield, and might fit in AU2 position with a fudging of the switch controls on the outside of the AU2 seat shield.

In any event, your comments have been really helpful, so I will go get that AU2 seat on offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-10-09 17.29.57.jpg (80.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
peterljohnson55

Job done...

I fitted an AU1's driver's seat trim shield and its switch to AU2. It is a different external configuration such that the AU1 switch is further to the rear. I couldn't buy a replacement seat at a reasonable price, and the AU2 seat trim shields that come complete with motor are no longer available; so went with the AU1 seat. I actually think the AU1's position of the switch on the seat's trim shield is better as it permits adjusting the seat without opening the door. All up, a good fix which was cheap as chips.

The job wasn't difficult, only had to carefully trace the wires from the three 12V seat motors (Front of seat, up/down; Rear of seat, up/down; and, whole of seat, forward/back), cut off plugs at ends, and solder* to tail from AU1 lead, having cut it off from the AU1's motors.

* = Suggest that when you wire up initially, just have hand-twisted wire as you may have to alter connections after you first test whether your wiring is OK.

Remember, too, when you do this with the seat in upside-down position the movements are reversed -- notably, the 'apparent' travel of the seat for forward/back adjustment (seen in the movement of the notched rails) is opposite to what you see.

Also, one not-so-obvious change is that the small clip that holds the shield at the front corner of the seat/s are different. The AU2's clip finishes further forward (and maybe larger?) by about a 10mm, than the AU1's. Consequently, the AU1's clip has to be moved to the equivalent location on the AU2 seat base.

I have pics of underside of both seats without any changes if anyone wants to see them. Just holler and I will email to you, up to mid December only.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Sorry, I missed these last two posts!

Also sorry for the misinformation on the wiring, I was sure that there was a plug in the loom that isolated the switch from the rest but clearly my memory's failed me there. glad you got it sorted anyway - well done
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
peterljohnson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post

... I was sure that there was a plug in the loom that isolated the switch from the rest ...
There were plugs in the looms of both models but they were incompatible. AU2's plug appeared to be a more economical model. We left the AU1s plug-set in position, male and female, and reconnected wires on the motor-side of the AU1's plug.

Thanks for your help, Silver, without which I would not attempted the job.