Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
ednap

Default Permanent wiring of Screen mounted GPS

As the Mondeo does not have an inbuilt GPS I use a screen mounted unit.

Would like to get rid of the power lead running into the centre console power outlet.

Has anyone identified an easily accessible alternate power source to tap into so the GPS could be "hard wired"?

Ed

ednap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: Permanent wiring of Screen mounted GPS

Hi. I dont know what the wiring is on the car but whatever you do, DO NOT CUT THE PLUG OFF THE END OF THE WIRE. the plug has a 12volt to 5volt reducer in it and I have seen many fried gps units because they have been fed 12volts direct. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
ednap

Yeah very good point, thanks for that.

I was thinking of trying to run a dedicated 12v power outlet to the space under the drivers side of the dash, in behind the little latch door which provide access to the ford diagnostics plug.

I thought "IF" I could get a power outlet in there then I could just leave the GPS plugged into that and the wiring would be out of the way.

Currently though have not found a way to get a power lead from inside the engine bay through the firewall into that area.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It shouldn't be too hard to find 12V somewhere in the dash. You could ask your dealer or an auto electrician who knows their way around late model Fords.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

All I do is get a cigarette lighter socket, hide it behind the stereo somewhere and connect it to the back of the factory cig socket. You can then usually sneak the cord between the trim next to the stereo
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednap
Yeah very good point, thanks for that.

I was thinking of trying to run a dedicated 12v power outlet to the space under the drivers side of the dash, in behind the little latch door which provide access to the ford diagnostics plug.

I thought "IF" I could get a power outlet in there then I could just leave the GPS plugged into that and the wiring would be out of the way.

Currently though have not found a way to get a power lead from inside the engine bay through the firewall into that area.
Why do you need to get it into the engine bay?

I had a setup as you describe in my last FG falcon it was great, had the GPS on the right hand side of the screen and the power plug running out of the piller.

Good idea about chopping the wire, just put a ciggie adapter under the dash, that way when you upgrade the GPS (like i did) you can just unplug it and swap it over.

Cheers.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
ednap

Don't want the GPS in the engine bay but that's where the battery is and so that's where I was planning to pick up fused supply for the additional power socket I want to fit under the dash.

I don't know anywhere with easy access on the inside of the car where I can pick up power. That's what I was trying to get some advice with in my original post.

My GPS is attached to the screen bottom corner on the driver side

Cheers
Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
blackiwi

interested to know also - trying to hardwire my radar detector instead of having cables hanging down, with the plug into the cigarette lighter..

Rear Muffler Delete with dual 3.5" Tips, Winter White, Leather, Sat Nav. Whiteline HD Swaybar, 18% Tint, dark carbon door spears & dash inserts. Blacked out GT Badges, Satin wrapped roof and side mirrors, black tail-light vinyl.

Current Rides:

~600AWHP E85 FBO R35 GTR

‘15 6.4L Hemi SRT Jeep
blackiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
ednap

Have not found anything obvious to pickup power from so I may actually get it done through a car stereo installation mob
Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

I recently rang my local Ford service centre re this as I have the same issue with my Germin Asus Phone/GPS. They said they have done a similair thing recently to a Focus where they installed a socket in behind the one in the dash. The guy said they could do the same for the Mondy or alternatively connect the socket to the fuse board. Said it shouldn't cost more than $100. Local auto electrician looked worried when approached due to all the electronics in the car & quoted about $150.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

This what I did in the Chrysler - mounted a normal 12V socket under the dash and ran the GPS wiring down to it with the plug (and 5V adaptor therefore) still attached. I also used one of the flat, square external antennas with the lead running down inside the A pillar and the antenna mounted on the top corner of the windscreen.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
All I do is get a cigarette lighter socket, hide it behind the stereo somewhere and connect it to the back of the factory cig socket. You can then usually sneak the cord between the trim next to the stereo
Simplest and best idea I reckon. I'll be doing this, just got to get the wire to the right place.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
ednap

I ended up running a new fused wire from the battery through a rubber an existing grommet in the firewall and installing a cig lighter under the dash in the area in front of the coin tray. Ran wires to a flush mount which I have secured to the steering column via velcro tape. The GPS plugs into the cig lighter under the dash, small wiring tail comes up by the riverside column. Nice and neat. Can turn the unit on or off (via flush mount switch). No unsightly cables running to the normal cig lighter. Very happy.