Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8 Drive Day @ Eastern Creek & Pics!!

Hey all,

Just got back from a fun day out at Eastern Creek! THe miss's got me a drive day in a v8 Race car(What spec's that is Im not sure). So for me that actually dosnt get to drive a 8 much, it was the best! I've never been out on a track at speeds or in a race car either. Excellent experince!
Bit more understanding of what the v8 supercar drivers do.

You could choose Ford or Holden (1 Auto in Holden for those who dont like manuals). My 2 mates went in holdens and both ran off the track, haha! You do get too overtake as well if theres slower cars around! Instructor is with you the whole way guiding you with steering, brakes, and throttle spots. About 15 cars on the track at the one time.

I managed to hit just over 200kms at the end of the straight, the sound was just awsome too! I need to go trade the xr6 in for a 8 now! Also manged to miss 4th at the end of the straight and had to recover in 2nd when i fially found the gears again!

Overall it was was worth doing, $300 was the cost and I got 7 Laps - extra $45 for the dvd of it!

The link - V8Race is the people who organised it. You can do it in other tracks around OZ.

Heres what I was in -

Just a few other quick snaps!

Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
farah9

Looks like you had a good day, I've got my day booked in april, the wait is killing me.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats awesome! im sending off the link now to the missus as a hint!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I got this for Christmas but havnt booked it in yet! I will be now!! Can't wait!
Is it a Clutchless manual like a V8 Supercar?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
v8 Race car(What spec's that is Im not sure).

That car sounds like a Boss 5.4 V8 from that video in both induction and exhaust. I'd say they are stripped down BA/BF XR8s with quite a few mods.

Very similar specs to this car probably (as in race trim) seeing its the same company sponsoring it [v8race.com] as you can see on the side of this car:

Picture taken by Jason71 from: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11209370

There are some good deals to be had at Ford at the moment and if you really want a V8 Falcon now is the time to get one!!
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
paulvdb

I drove the Auto a few months back and had a ball. Being an auto driver I thought it best to focus on the track rather than worrying about my gear changes and the clutch take-up point. For the manual drivers go manual, for auto drivers don't kid yourself - you only get a few laps so you may as well spend those laps learning the track and where to brake.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I got this for Christmas but havnt booked it in yet! I will be now!! Can't wait!
It may be, i'm not sure. I used the clutch!

Go book yourself in too! They only run for a few weeks at a time at different tracks! I had a great time! Its only takes about 12min or so to do your laps! And abotu 30min with the Pre drive breif.

My mate in the auto was in the same boat, and said the same! That it takes a few laps to get brave anyway. The instuctor is always talking to you, guiding. He kept telling me to trust him haha, GO GO GO he says!

They did shorten the track, they cut the hill section out. We did the shorter course through the FLIP FLOP they called it! Thats was the best part for me, then heading back on to the straight!

Heres another qucik video!

Old 13-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
thats awesome! im sending off the link now to the missus as a hint!
Mine was Last years Xmas present Red Baloon is awsome site for doing good stuff! Just send your miss's tha link as you can change your vouchers for other activites if you dont liek what the one she choose for you!
Old 13-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
Clutchless manual?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Clutchless manual?
crashbox.

v8supercars still clutch on the downshifts and often accross the gate on upshifts as well. straight up and down on upshifts are often done without the use of the clutch but thats nothing to do with technology. just good ol fashioned gearbox strength and no synchro's.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah thats what I thought.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I did my drive in december last year and it was pretty fun, mine was a series 1 ba xr8 was pretty fun to drive, old mate beside me said that i was the best he had that day which felt good. 40 bucks for the dvd is a bit of a rort but i still got it.
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got one of these for my birthday this year from the wife and friends. I must ring them up and book it in. Unfortunately, I have to wait until June to do mine. All the March ones are booked out at AIR.
Old 13-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
PoMmYwOG

hey macca23,
i was there in the AM session yesterday,got it for my 21st (yesterday too)...it was awesome dont u rekon...i got the dvd and the photo...top blokes working there too very helpful and informative...i drove the BA XR8 with the white front and maroon rear...they sure do go alright especially when u hit the higher rpm...the amount of grip and the speeds u can take corners in those things is amazing...i would have to have been opposite locking in the XR6 to get even close to that...

i definetly cant wait to go again...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoMmYwOG
hey macca23,
i was there in the AM session yesterday,got it for my 21st (yesterday too)...it was awesome dont u rekon...i got the dvd and the photo...top blokes working there too very helpful and informative...i drove the BA XR8 with the white front and maroon rear...they sure do go alright especially when u hit the higher rpm...the amount of grip and the speeds u can take corners in those things is amazing...i would have to have been opposite locking in the XR6 to get even close to that...

i definetly cant wait to go again...
Yeah definlty good, We were the 2nd group on about 9ish. I didnt get the photo as mates where there with the digi camera anyway! My miss's got me the extra 2 laps too so i got 7 laps. My dvd stops halfway throw the 4th lap though :( Hows your DVD?

Was this was ur car?

Old 13-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

On a similar topic to this, has anyone had the opportunity to do Hot Laps at the Bathurst Motor Festival? I did, not this BMF but the last one. They used V8 Superschool cars and I went out with LLeyton Crambrook in a BA Falcon. It was a fantastic experience but they (they guys who were running the car) didn't have much info displayed on the MOTEC, in particular the speed. But it felt pretty quick.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
PoMmYwOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
Yeah definlty good, We were the 2nd group on about 9ish. I didnt get the photo as mates where there with the digi camera anyway! My miss's got me the extra 2 laps too so i got 7 laps. My dvd stops halfway throw the 4th lap though :( Hows your DVD?

Was this was ur car?
ahh k i was prob the 3rd group then...my dvd is good...the sound is a bit dodgy, but the bloke stopped the dvd on the end of the 4th lap...wish they recorded the 5th lap cos thats when i was really giving it a hammering...

that white with red checkers was the car i wanted to go in tho, it sounded awesome, mine was the white front and maroon back, it sounded alright but not as good as that one...lucky man, i wish i got the extra 2 laps : ah well next time...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post