Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Sun visor, can't live with it, can't live without it.

I know I can't be the only one that has problems with the sun visor being too low when it's folded down. It would seem to me that anyone over about 175cm or 5'7" in old money is going to struggle to sit comfortably and still see under the visor in any AU. I have the issue in both the missus' wagon and my Fairlane as the seat won't go low enough.

I'm just wondering what, if anything, has anyone done to remedy this problem cos I need to do something to raise the lower edge of the visor about an inch at least I recon once it's deployed.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

try 5'9" for 175cm

ps 5'11" here, and yes the sun visor is just that bit too low. a side effect of a sloping roof.

what they used to do with the taxis to sometimes fit the meter between the sunvisors was to open up the sunvisor, chop off some of the guts and leave an overlap of the vinyl and seal it up. Not as nice looking as factory but didn't look super dodgy either. maybe cut some out of the bottom of your sun visor? or take your good fairlane sunvisor off and get a crappy s1 forte sunvisor from the wreckers and butcher it?
Old 19-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Can't you bend the sunvisor forward towards the windscreen? This allows it to not have such a "letterboxing" effect. I'm 5'11" and don't have a problem with it.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ok, ya got me Mr Hardware but I was only guessing, lol. Make that 170cm then, I'm 5'8" and the visor annoys the crap out of me but I'd rather not butcher the visor and I'd like to keep the originals in place (in both cars) if possable.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 19-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Im about 175cm and its far too irritating trying to fold the visor all the way down against the windscreen. When i absoloutely have to, ill fold the visor down slightly (so its pointing at my face) and block out the sun. It was a little disconcerting at the start having poiting at me but ive gotten used to it.

The designers shouldve made sure it sat flat against the windscreen, my biggest gripe with the AU!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
ill fold the visor down slightly (so its pointing at my face) and block out sone of the sun.
That's what I've always done with cars, although I just drop it as low as it needs to go to bock the sun (and still be able to see the road).
I'm 5'10" so in the same general range as most.

Never found it to be a problem...

edit: until now... lol
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Can't you bend the sunvisor forward towards the windscreen? This allows it to not have such a "letterboxing" effect. I'm 5'11" and don't have a problem with it.

I tried that but there's 2 things working against that being effective -

1) once it's swung forward there's a point where you can feel the resistance ease off (to rotating the visor), like there's a groove at that point or a spring loaded "set" point where if you push past that the visor just comes back to.

2)the retaining seat in the centre of the roof is bulbous and because of the shape of the visor where the visor clips in, it presses up against the retainer and won't let the visor swing any further forward.

I must say Dauphin, if you can see under the visor comfortably you'd have to have the seat layed back a fair way to get your line of sight that low. Either that or you're built like a Gibbon, all arms and legs and a short body, lol. _2:

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 19-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah i'm sort of an anti-gibbon, short legs and arms but large torso (amongst other things) so i sit rather forward and upright for a bloke. and there's no way i'd have the visor slightly down facing me, i'd wanna punch it away in .01seconds
Old 19-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
... and there's no way i'd have the visor slightly down facing me, i'd wanna punch it away in .01seconds

Me too, having it that close to my head bugs me plus I don't like the idea of head butting it one day because you've come to a sudden stop.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 19-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

AU .COM hat (facing the rite way) and sunnys does it for me :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ok, I think I've found a solution, may not be perfect yet but I think it's going in the right direction, here's what I've just done:-

First I loosened off the two mounting screws holding the visor in place. The rear one till it was out completely, then I put in some packers, in this case through trial and error, I settled on 10x 5c pieces under the rear screw and tightened up the mount. This has effectively rotated the whole thing forward about 10deg. Next problem is the centre mount fouling the visor and not letting it rotate further forward so I removed the mount and used my bench grinder to file down the front side of the mount to allow the visor to rotate fully. Now it rotates further round and has made the bottom edge on the visor just over the 1" higher I needed for a comfortable line of sight. The only drawback now, if you could call it that, is that the visor doesn't retract all the way hard up into the recess in the roof lining, it hangs down about 1/2" or 12mm but I don't find that an issue. With the visor up you can't tell the coins are there but down it does look a bit untidy (if you look,lol) so later I might look for something a bit more aesthetic if it annoys me enough.

So problem solved, : , and it's something that anyone can do with a screwdriver and file in less than 10 minutes. It's amazing what you can come up with when you have to, haha.

Bushbasher

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 19-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Mr Hardware

plus now your car is worth more
Old 19-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I have noticed this problem as well with my AU, although I am 6ft1, but it doesn't really annoy me that much as I don't find I need to use the sunvissor that often, as I sit high and the roofline act's as the sunvissor anyway.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:

not really, the change only moved from the drink holder in the console to the roof, lol. I don't think the insurance co. will be adjusting the agreed value any time soon.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 19-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I have noticed this problem as well with my AU, although I am 6ft1, but it doesn't really annoy me that much as I don't find I need to use the sunvissor that often, as I sit high and the roofline act's as the sunvissor anyway.
Same here - only I'm 6'5" an the roof line makes it a PITA to see traffic lights change.....
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Ahhh men! Try being 5'2 and copping sun glare galore because you're too short for the visors to do anything!! Now that's frusturation LOL. It sure makes me easy to spot in the late afternoons, just look for a chick who looks like she's waving to everyone who passes :

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
O/T, but that comment reminds me of my mate and his hyundai excel - every time he fills it up, he triples it's value.

Back on topic - love the "bush mechanic" solution to this problem!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Mr Hardware

yeah i think i do that too with my commodore
Old 20-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiagirl
Ahhh men! Try being 5'2 and copping sun glare galore because you're too short for the visors to do anything!! Now that's frusturation LOL. It sure makes me easy to spot in the late afternoons, just look for a chick who looks like she's waving to everyone who passes :
Yup, know that one, my missus is 4'10".

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 20-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
Mr Hardware

wow thats mega short.
as usual, pics please
(of the sunvisor)
Old 20-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #21
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ok Mr Hardware, but if I'm going to take pics I may as well do a better job than the first time. So to that end I went to work on the missus' wagon this morning and did a "how to" HERE.

Cheers
Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 20-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #22
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiagirl
You could allways use a cushion or phone book,
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #23
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
Same here - only I'm 6'5" an the roof line makes it a PITA to see traffic lights change.....
Yeah i'm nearly 6'7" and when ur at the pedestrian crossing u can't see the lights without leaning forward.

if i do need the visor i have it pointing at me. if i have it all the way down i can see a few meters infront of my ute

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
AU .COM hat (facing the rite way) and sunnys does it for me :

Trouble with this method is if the unfortunate happens and the airbag goes off the front of the hat can have a scalping effect and that's something you don't want.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #25
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANKY 1
Yeah i'm nearly 6'7" and when ur at the pedestrian crossing u can't see the lights without leaning forward.
6' 4" here,..... I know your pain :(

First time I jumped into Mr Hardwares AU I was too 'small' to see over the dash and get a proper view of the road (not calling you old or anything mate =P) and now in my AU years later I can't see the effing traffic lights!
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #26
Mr Hardware

oi oi oi
'nuff of that pipsqueak
Old 21-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #27
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Try to get hold of the retainers out of a BF as they recessed the post to allow the sunvisor to fold up just a bit further then AU/BA's.
Otherwise i took mine off and ground a bit of clearence into the plastic to achieve the same thing.