Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Au futura

Default Wiring Au 2 Alternator into Au 1

Gday all, just installed new AU2 alternator into my AU1 Futura. The reason for AU2 is because they don't make the AU1 alternators anymore. On the original alternator there was a red & white wire & a yellow & white wire. Just wondering if anyone knows which one is the lamp dash wire & which one is the sense wire which tells how hard the alternator is working. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Au futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Wiring Au 2 Alternator into Au 1

From the look of the wiring diagram the yellow and white wire is the one that ends up feeding the instrument cluster. It should also exist in S2 along with a Red/Grey wire.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Au futura

Thanks for the reply Russ, spoke to the autoelec who sold me the alternator and he said with the ignition off to check the two plug wires for voltage with a multimeter. The wire with no current is the one to the instrument cluster, which was the red and white one. I turned the key till the red lights came on and then there was power at the red and white wire. Hooked it up and is working perfect. Can't complain about the original alternator I've owned this car for 14 years and I got 688,000 kms out of it, not bad going.

Cheers. Mark.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the past I replaced the loom from the alternator to the chasis ,often auto elects carry patch harnesses or the original fit plugs. I had taken the alt off a taxi that had uprated parts.

My current car AU3 T used the harness retainer clamp bracket that's at the back of the alt casing- bolted it to the 8mm output bat conector and used the 6 mm clamp bolt to connect the wire to,
This bracket is now live but long way from touching anything and I can use it to source power from easily..
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe there is a kit from Ford to do this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-F...-/290954687188
Old 20-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #6
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that water proof plug has been in common use with most Japanese cars. alternator and radiator fans.

Yazaki harness products.

Nissan engine holden have this plug. terminals are listed as spare parts. but are easy to find in Kits. mitubishi hitachi and bosch alternator.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
Au futura

Gday Bill, the autoelecs "Nikos" in Shepparton had an adaptor plug with 2 wires coming out of it, just joined with a couple of spade connectors. They threw this in for nothing. I was very happy with the service there. The new alternator is a Mitsubishi $280, I've heard they are supposed to be the best replacement. Repco wanted $300.
Old 21-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

i just replaced my alternator in my au 1 Futura & i want to rebuild the original - does anyone know if you can still purchase rebuild kits for them?

668,000 is awesome milage out of a alternator! While i was replacing the original alternator, i noticed a drip of oil from the power steering hose that drops down into the back of the alternator so i made a mini drip tray to drain away any oil drips away from the back of the alternator. Works well!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Au futura

That's not a bad idea Maka, the Racv bloke that came out when my car died said he replaced an alternator on an Au a few weeks back, and he said oil dripping down from the power steering pump is the biggest killer of alternators.

Cheers Mark.
Old 21-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #10
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hello all,

I also have a Mitsubishi alternator original from my AUII which I would like to rebuild as a spare. I have found some sellers on ebay that sell some parts.
I cannot vouch for them as I have not dealt with them. I will be doing so soon when I get a few spare $$$.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-FORD-H...-/151260543713

cheers
Bill
Old 22-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au futura View Post
That's not a bad idea Maka, the Racv bloke that came out when my car died said he replaced an alternator on an Au a few weeks back, and he said oil dripping down from the power steering pump is the biggest killer of alternators.

Cheers Mark.
I thought to myself, i'll be buggered if i put in another alternator & not do something about "THE" drip!

So i had a sqiz & my solution is pretty simple - 1 x smallish hose clamp, 1 x 220mm x 45mm thin metal half tube or a bit of thin metal that can be bent into a half pipe of the rough above dimensions.

Now look at the cast boss on the power steering pump that the power steering hose bolts into (right above the alternator) - put the hose clamp around that boss & slide in the the half pipe drip tray all the way up against the pump - position it so its square & tighten up the clamp, job done! Just make sure the length of the drip tray is long enough to clear the back of the alternator.

Any questions just ask, anyone want a kit made up pm me!

ps- sorry about the no pics, dont know how to

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 22-08-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 22-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the modified nipple/swivel comes from ford parts and was about $13. called a repair kit. it has a different oring to the original.

hacksaw and split the nut and replace it.

the hoses with old style end that don't leak are easily available if your hose is dodgey-or at he end of is life. if its soaked in oil for years its probable due for a hose.
Old 22-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Mines not that bad yet, but i'd definitely would use Davehoos's suggestion to repair that pws hose nipple though. Thanks for the info!

cheers, Maka