Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #61
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Second hand car market

OMG I been looking at AU's as an update and even they're old now..... My EF Mont sedan on gas will be lucky to pull 3k!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #62
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
My EF Mont sedan on gas will be lucky to pull 3k!
3k maybe 3 years ago
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #63
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont View Post
3k maybe 3 years ago
To me it makes more sense to keep driving both of my EFs that are both on gas and spend a little on maintenance when they need it which I can do most of anyways..... Then instead of buying a newer car I invest what I save into something like solar power for the house and save even more money a few years down the track and then invest that money somewhere else again!

I cant even see the value in buying myself a second hand EcoLPI for 25k at the moment.....Will wait until a few have 100,000 k's on the clock first..
Old 17-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #64
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny reading about the bagging people are giving the dirty old Patrol a bagging. A guy I work with has bought and sold quite a few and has never lost on them. His last was a 1993 GQ that was advertised for $5000, he got it for $3500, tidied it up and sold it for $7500. Then he took that money and bought a 4.8 Patrol GU that was advertised for $12000 and got it for $8000.

He only plays with Patrols but never seems to lose on them.

I think he is doing well due to the weak second hand market. But on the other hand a lot of people are too lazy to make the effort to make their car really sellable. Used car yards really tart most of their cars up and this does make a big difference. It must be tough for them to compete with the new car market and the great finance deals.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #65
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been doing the same thing as your workmate for years. I have made good money over the years but wasnt counting on the market dying in the ***. I guess you win some you loose some!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #66
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
Its funny reading about the bagging people are giving the dirty old Patrol a bagging. A guy I work with has bought and sold quite a few and has never lost on them. His last was a 1993 GQ that was advertised for $5000, he got it for $3500, tidied it up and sold it for $7500. Then he took that money and bought a 4.8 Patrol GU that was advertised for $12000 and got it for $8000.

He only plays with Patrols but never seems to lose on them.

I think he is doing well due to the weak second hand market. But on the other hand a lot of people are too lazy to make the effort to make their car really sellable. Used car yards really tart most of their cars up and this does make a big difference. It must be tough for them to compete with the new car market and the great finance deals.
So true... People are lazy today.. You only have to look at some of the ads on carsales. If your going to sell a car you need to present it properly, not filthy full of maccas wrappers.

Probably why I have had so much success over the years with selling stuff is how I present it, from trucks to cars everything that goes on the net must be fully detailed prior to me taking pics. Also more pics the better, some people only put 1 or 2 pics on... With the cost of carsales you have to use it to the max!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #67
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It must be tough for them to compete with the new car market and the great finance deals.

Just seen a Toyota add on t.v offering 0.0% on new cars!
Old 18-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #68
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I know its a bit different, but what's the classic car market like then at the moment?
If the second hand market is down so much, does this have any affect on classic car prices?
I know from looking regularly at AMCS website, cars seem to be sitting there for a long time.
Just curious.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
So true... People are lazy today.. You only have to look at some of the ads on carsales. If your going to sell a car you need to present it properly, not filthy full of maccas wrappers.

Probably why I have had so much success over the years with selling stuff is how I present it, from trucks to cars everything that goes on the net must be fully detailed prior to me taking pics. Also more pics the better, some people only put 1 or 2 pics on... With the cost of carsales you have to use it to the max!
Yes, bang on the money Dash.
If you want a fair price for your vehicle you have to present it as best it can be.
When I sell a car, be it privately or as a trade I always present the vehicle as I would want to view it if I were the prospective buyer.

When I scan through carsales etc. I don't even bother looking at ads with less than a half dozen pics.
Infact, it should be mandatory to post atleast 6 pics of various angles, interior etc. to post an add.

I picked up a nice old girl this week.
My mothers EL has been playing up so I flogged it off and bought her a Toyota.
After hunting around I found her a 96 Touring series Vienta, 3.0l V6, Auto with 200k's in Polo Green for a little under $2k.
Now some might think that's pretty expensive for a 96 model car, but if you saw this one you would be blown away.
It is a 1 owner with full CMI Toyota service history, with every service done within 1000k's prior to the schedule.
The paint is the best I've seen on a Toyota from that era, I worked for CMI Toyota when this vehicle was sold new, in fact, chances are I probably did the pre delivery clean.
The only thing I can fault the car on is the A/C switch where the black coating has started to wear thin.

She's away at the moment so I haven't given it to her yet. Knowing the way she drives I envisage the corners knocked off quite soon unfortunately.

Good cars will sell, but they need to be presented well to command decent money.
I never baulk at paying top dollar for the right example and age and k's don't bother me.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #70
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus yesterday found a SB Barina 2000 model with 34,000k's, 1 owner, 5 spd manual for 5k..... And another with 64,000k's for 3,750!
Old 18-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #71
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just sold the xr8 for 5k
4 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #72
zx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289 View Post
Just sold the xr8 for 5k
Glad you found a buyer for her mate. Looked like an awesome car for the money.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #73
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it was a good car but I don't need it now. Im just glad that it sold before petrol skyrockets. Dude loved it. Now just the patrol to go.
Old 19-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #74
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
It must be tough for them to compete with the new car market and the great finance deals.

Just seen a Toyota add on t.v offering 0.0% on new cars!
VW are doin 0.0 % interest on many of the fleet also
That includes the amarok,which at those interest deals mite give the triton, navara a run for a better seller, but not sure IF itll still knock the hilux of top seller dual cab 4x4 .....
Seen an add for the 300R Chrysler 1.5 %,with 45 K drive away

Wonder why the aussie brands are struggling
Regardless of interest deals, better deal on the day, a sale with some profit is a sale with some profit
No sale with an assumption of profit,is still no sale with an assumption of profit
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #75
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The used car market just might get a lift from the FBT changes...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #76
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true
Old 19-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #77
mad cow
blue oval addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289 View Post

Who does 1000km a week?
I average 4000ks a week...
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #78
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regardless of the current economy, sellers can help themselves when selling there car by how they present their car and advertisement.

Firstly, as has been stated, present the car well. This shows it has been looked after. A quick vacuum and wash will do wonders for the confidence of buyers. It doesn't take a lot of time but will help considerably.

Second, a RWC (when applicable) will boost interest considerably. Look at it from the buyer's perspective, if you "don't have time" or put out some other lame excuse, why should you expect the buyer to buy your car not knowing how much money/time they will have to spend, when they can simply buy a car that has one. Even if a car with a RWC is more expensive, at least the buyer will know how much money they will have to spend to actually get the car on the road.

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #79
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Carsales is good for a laugh. Five year old cars for sale at 70% of their new price with 80,000km on the clock.

Those are my favourite ads, I love reading the sellers spiel about why it's so fantastic.

But if you take anything from this thread it is to take care of your car, weekly washes and vacuum, do the interior upholstery protection, polish and wax, scheduled maintenance. As it stands now, we need all the help we can get.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #80
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
Im pretty sure that you are the exception ;)
Old 19-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #81
mad cow
blue oval addict

ha ha ha I very well may be..
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #82
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does not leave a lot of time for concreting.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #83
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ha ha ha I very well may be..
Man go and buy a second hand ECOLPi falcon, theres 55 of them in Vic on carsales and they all got less than 60,000k's selling for 25k or less...Actually there was a private sale in Wodonga....wants 24K....That's 20k off a new one...... Cheap as chips!
Old 20-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #84
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY View Post
Carsales is good for a laugh. Five year old cars for sale at 70% of their new price with 80,000km on the clock.

Those are my favourite ads, I love reading the sellers spiel about why it's so fantastic.

But if you take anything from this thread it is to take care of your car, weekly washes and vacuum, do the interior upholstery protection, polish and wax, scheduled maintenance. As it stands now, we need all the help we can get.

I see these adds also , the problem is many paid more then than whats new now,they owe more than the ask , or they want the clear debt and a handful of cash as well
Its a tuff call,but and this is the biggest side hit,people want the new for bare bones price but want heaps for their 5 year old car,it just doesn't happen ...
I do agree with keeping the maintenance up on the cars , but no matter how much one or some endure to do that , its the majority who don't look after them that drag that model down in price , just the way its always been
I mentioned before , itll come to the point where youll pay a set fee a week, get a new car in 5 years time hand it back, get another and just keep paying that weekly amount
Youll never own it, more a pay to use
For those not mechanically minded ,or those who have no interest in cars beyond a point A to point B , that's the way they will go .....
Old 20-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #85
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The market being flat is just a load of bollocks and an excuse for not moving over priced cars. The For Sale section on this forum is a perfect example as there are some stupid prices being asked.

I've advertised my Terry for a 2 weeks on car sales and have had regular calls three people look and just about sold now.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #86
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.graysonline.com/sale/3003...r6-bf?spr=true
Cheap XR6 on gas...........
Old 20-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #87
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had lots of offers to swap which im considering as its probably easier to sell something with 200odd kays not 400odd kays.
Old 21-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #88
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen an add last nite for the new D22 navara under 28 grand driveaway
Jumped on their website and throw in 1 % finance Nissan are doin on 4x4 range this month
There also throwing in a 5 grand fuel card on the 84 grand V8 patrol

People said the deals at 2.9 % were the ducks guts , the deals are getting better and better each passing few months
They do the new D40 navara auto under 40 grand on 1 % , I think the patrol will find a new owner
Old 22-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #89
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" The market being flat is just a load of bollocks "

Clearly you do NOT know the market
Old 22-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #90
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep , it is a buyers market end of story. You want to shift something you put a price on it if it doesn't sell you lower it . Unless you are willing to wait for the right person to come along and pay you what you think its worth .
Slow yes , but what do you expect it seems half the populations jobs are under threat apparently .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post