Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #61
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Commodore Anyone?

I'll probably buy a new Ford when it's time to trade the FG. And that won't be for a while!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #62
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Didn't think it'd take long for the Holden bashing to come through.....Then you have people saying they'll buy an imported car when Ford cease production in this country.....Obvious those don't care about the poor families out on their asses, trying to get another job when the factories close down.....They'll probably whinge and whine their hard earned taxes will be used to support them on the dole....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #63
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The Falcon will be in production until late 2016, the Commodore program is set at this stage to be shutdown at a similar time.

Long story short, Not a snowflakes chance in hell i'll buy a VF over the last Generation Falcon.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #64
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post
I personally buy Toyota before i buy Holden......nuff said.........
How about a VF Holden with Toyota Lexcen badges
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #65
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
I spent four years driving 5 different VE commodores for a total of more than 200,000 km. 4x SSV 1x Calais V.

If I never drive another one I'm fine. I won't be rushing out to buy one either. And let's face it. At the end of 2016 Comodore is gone as well. So if I'm in a position to buy a car in that time frame I can still get a Falcon.

After that who knows. But they, Ford, have given up their home ground advantage. Whereas with Falcon if all things were equal a Falcon/ Teritory was my choice To keep my business the need to have an advantage.
I watched the Ford announcement re end of Falcon production. The Ford ceo said "October 2016" How did you get GMH finishing Commodore production at the same time. GM Aus ceo stated yesterday that Commodore would still be in production in Australia past 2020. By the way, I have owned more Fords than Holdens but I am not biased either way. Currently own an old 1993 "Ford" Telstar as I cannot afford anything better due to lack of funds on an age pension
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #66
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Commodore for me.
After 2016 the front wheel drive version?
Old 24-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #67
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773 View Post
I watched the Ford announcement re end of Falcon production. The Ford ceo said "October 2016" How did you get GMH finishing Commodore production at the same time. GM Aus ceo stated yesterday that Commodore would still be in production in Australia past 2020. By the way, I have owned more Fords than Holdens but I am not biased either way. Currently own an old 1993 "Ford" Telstar as I cannot afford anything better due to lack of funds on an age pension
Read the VF Commodore news release, when the GMH CEO was asked about the future of the Commodore he said the Commodore nameplate would continue on a downsized front drive car.
Old 24-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #68
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773 View Post
Post 2016 or 2017 the Commodore will be a 4 cyl front wheel drive globale car, assembled locally with the local nameplate.

Nothing like the current generation Holden car which will end around the same time as the Falcon.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #69
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny that people say they wouldn't. I'm sure a lot of Australia said the same about a Falcon and therefore why they won't be making them anymore.

But for some reason it isn't the same thing and it is ok to be outraged that Aussies aren't buying Falcons yet the same people wouldn't consider a Commodore when there is no Falcon

It won't matter anyway because not long after Holden has to compete with Ford on imported models the Commodore has absolutely no hope in hell of surviving in its current form unless sales and exports massively improved.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #70
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Post 2016 or 2017 the Commodore will be a 4 cyl front wheel drive globale car, assembled locally with the local nameplate.

Nothing like the current generation Holden car which will end around the same time as the Falcon.
Is this true? If so, we can say for falcon: it's better to burn out than fade away.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #71
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
Didn't think it'd take long for the Holden bashing to come through.....Then you have people saying they'll buy an imported car when Ford cease production in this country.....Obvious those don't care about the poor families out on their asses, trying to get another job when the factories close down.....They'll probably whinge and whine their hard earned taxes will be used to support them on the dole....
..... meanwhile the Ford bashing never stopped has it! Checked your avatar lately? Some people here are the king of Ford bashing .......... not pointing fingers or anything .....

MANY people didn't buy a Ford to help the families in Geelong or Broady and I hold nothing whatsoever against them either. People buy for different reasons. Some prefer second hand cars? Some might like to support their local Nissan car dealer owned by an Australian family and employing and training many families in their local area? Some like something else? Unfortunately business is not charity and when anyone parts with their money they have the right to do what they want with it without any guilt from others.

If your purchase helps someone else, thats a bonus, but it always does, no matter how the product got there in the first place.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #72
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I'd buy a Mustang.

I don't really want to drop my IQ 50 points and grow a mullet. And i'd rather not be associated with Holden drivers, most of them i've met have been absolute losers. The stigma of Commodore drivers usually turns out to be true when you talk to them, not all of them but a large percentage. I don't want to be one of them.

Plus I still have all my teeth.
Sounds like your also describing Collingwood supporters.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #73
BennyH

The way I see it is 2016 is time to go shopping for a GS ute and enjoy the last of the best Australian ute.

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
BennyH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #74
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Is this true? If so, we can say for falcon: it's better to burn out than fade away.
Yeap - announced months ago when the 6 months it takes to launch a Commodore started....

http://www.news.com.au/business/hold...-1226574487030
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #75
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me .. I currently own a Commode and would be happy enough to own another.

For my wife needing/wanting a ute .. No .. A Commodore is not a suitable substitute.

Falcon ute towing/carrying capacity and still being car sized and car luxury makes it unique.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #76
stevz
Banned

Quote:
I will believe it when I see it. This is just a BS rumour which has been spread by that airhead J. Dowling.
I just cannot see why Holden would do such a thing, as it would be a disgrace to the Commodore nameplate and would send sales spiralling even lower which would essentially kill the local operation altogether.
History has proven that medium and large fwd cars simply do not sell in this country - so why would they go down this path to achieve even less sales than they do now? Besides, they have just introduced the Malibu in this category, so why would they need another fwd 4cyl sedan? This theory just doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by stevz; 24-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #77
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand what it is with everyone thinking they are going to have to go out and buy a Commodore now. For the next 3 years Fords will still be made here, so you have the next 3 years, plus a few more to snap up any new or hardly driven ones.

BTW, I can't see Commodore being made after 2016, Holden are just denying the inevitable. They have received large amounts of Government grants, if they made the announcement to shut up shop like Ford at this time, they would be hated by the public.

And as much as it's sad to see the Falcon go, atleast it's gone before they turned it into a FWD boring, characterless slug.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #78
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr gr8 View Post
......I'd rather walk.
Foot Falcon it.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #79
BluXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
I would probably take you more serious if you didn't have that stupid avatar. Not much else erks me then defaming the FORD badge like that, reminds me of a certain V8 Supercar team with a hog as there badge.
BluXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #80
paulb351

As the old saying goes... "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden"

Holden has only promised production until 2022, don't see component manufacturing as surviving on Holdens with large parts imported and Toyota's build from parts arriving in boxes from Japan... Economies of Scale are needed and that isn't happening with the products coming out the door of Toyota & Holden, local sales not enough to support the costs and no or little opportunities for export markets.
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #81
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its aussie made i will buy it, even if its a commodore. Rather support aussie made than a ford made os any day
gsd112 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #82
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwil View Post
Sounds like your also describing Collingwood supporters.
You can absolutely guarantee a very high % of Collingwood supporters would drive Commodores. Holden even sponsor them. They go hand in hand.

Interestingly the Holden CEO was on the news today they hope to be here past 2020, but, and I quote, "nothing is guaranteed". They know they will be up against it keeping the doors open in the years to come. Also nice to see them using Fords announcement as a way to try to screw some more cash out of the government.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #83
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Also nice to see them using Fords announcement as a way to try to screw some more cash out of the government.
what else do you expect from the scum buckets

they have received twice the money and they will be lucky if they keep manufacturing for a few years after ford aus stops

looks like the government backed the wrong horse
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #84
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I've had Commodores in the past and if they are still making them when I'm next in the market for a large RWD, I'll buy another.

But I doubt it. Car manufacturing seems to be doomed in Oz. I wish Holden all the best, and I hope they stick around. They certainly seem to be trying a lot harder than Ford ever did, especially marketing and developing markets for export.

Its as if Ford stuck their head in the sand.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #85
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Dunnydore won't be here in 2016 either. Holden were on the TV today saying that things must change here. They've already axed a heap of jobs right after government handouts were given to them. Things are not rosy for Holden. They will follow Ford in time and so will Toyota. So if the Falcon is still here by 2016 buy that. After that who knows.

As for buying a Commodore at any time? No. Unless you buy the V8, nothing has the lazy torque of the I6. The V6 Commodores are revvy torqueless machines, just like Camry's and the Kluger.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #86
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by music189 View Post
My son has a 2 month old Camry hybrid as a company car, he used to drive our EL wagon and started to tease me saying the old Falcon had no power.Finally got to drive it the other day and was pleasantly surprised bloody hell it had some poke ,pulled like a steam train and drove very nicely.he drives it hard and it's averaging 5.6 l/100. He was spending 70 bucks a week on fuel and that lasts almost 3 weeks
Being in the trade FG's are so reliable it's not funny VE's are terrible and it's got mostly imported bits in it Holden keeps that info very quiet
Camry has lots of Aussie bits in it so I reckon it's an Aussie built Toyota for me
The new Camry Hybrid is certainly quicker than a 15 year old EL ... but not as quick as the Falcon Ecoboost, nor as much fun to drive, nor as good looking (old Camry is better looking than the current one)!
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #87
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:

Projectile vomit.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 24-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #88
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
The new Camry Hybrid is certainly quicker than a 15 year old EL ... but not as quick as the Falcon Ecoboost, nor as much fun to drive, nor as good looking (old Camry is better looking than the current one)!
Camrys have the look of a washing machine. Boring, soulless, but reliable. But your nanna will love it.
6th car 95 XG ute
Fords all my life.
Old 25-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #89
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

theres not a chance in hell of a holden ever being parked in the driveway.
ive even told the mrs,you turn up in a holden and thats grounds for a divorce.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #90
Angeldust

well, if it was the other way around, and there was no commodore i would definetly consider buying a falcon. (i have never owned one though previously, and the old man had a new xf back in the day though,)

Anyway, as has been said, after 2016 the next commo may be a fwd so the holden buyers like me will be in just the same situation as you guys. Since i dont like the VE/VF due to its massive size, i will be keeping my VZ for a loong time.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post