Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Just remember peeps: if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. Poisonous spiders I would remove, only because they have a tendency to bite if you accidently brush them or knock them. A huntsman though I would "forget" as it's not worth tearing the car apart trying to find. He'll leave on his own once food runs out or he gets bored.
That's easy for you to say, but i suffer from arachnaphobia, i can't control it. They are the most common spider in my area and they love to get between the door jamb as a nice hiding place until i open the door and they bail.

only way to kill one you can't find is to spray the car with insecticide and close the car up. The mist will fill most crevaces and kill them. Leave it for an hour or so and see if they have crawled out.
Old 21-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #32
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get yourself a Mortein NaturGard or a Robocan and stick it to a window. :p
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Use one of those mortein bombs. Put the car in the garage and leave all the doors and the boot open. If it's a big garage use two. Whilst people may find them timid, they are cross breeding (as are funnel webs and wolf spiders) and a more aggressive type spider is the result. I have alot of trees near my house and I've seen those massive huntsmans; the ones with the black bands on the legs. Sprayed the bastard and he started coming for me.
Further, has anyone here been bitten by one? I have, and I tell you, it's immensely painfull. For 3 days I had swelling, a rash, sweats and nausea. Definately not a nice spider. Years ago you could play with them but these days thanks to the cross breeding, they are bastards that deserve death and only death, nothing but the death (like funnelwebs).

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #34
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive sprayed the door jams and wheel arches and will vacume the car abit later on and hopefully it comes out and deal with him.
Old 21-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #35
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Close your air vents when it's parked.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #36
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

lol @ you big tough macho men scared of spiders

i used to have a paddock basher, it was full of huntsmans. on one occasion i was hand brake turning down a hill and mid drift, i had not one, but two large (bit smaller than my hand) size huntsmans crawl up my throttle leg. i don't care about spiders but it was a little disconcerting in that situation. So there i was trying to maintain and safely end the drift while shaking my right leg like a good thing.

We have at least two a week in our car, there's not much you can do. The mrs goes troppo when it happens too, she's scared of them on a totally radical level.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
lol @ you big tough macho men scared of spiders
: LOL Don't care - No likey no likey, hairy eight legged critters reside on the bottom of my thong - aaaaaarg hand braking with a couple of them running up your leg :yeees:
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #38
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i second the garage everything open insect bomb treatment I did this once to an old car I had and the amount of stuff that died was incredible there was apparently LOTS of spiders not only in the car but in the shed as well along with several other insects that were killed in the crossfire as was a pair of mice! Solved the spider problem in the car tho just be warned that you may kill more than just spiders like I did.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #39
nstg8a

i had the same problem back home with whitetails living in a hilux surf i bought for parts, i hate the bloody things and it freaked me out when i drove it onto the trailer lol.

i bought three insect bombs, left all windows up, sat one on floor under steering wheel, one on the centre console lid and the third i sat in the middle of the cargo/boot area.

that thing damn near went thermonuclear.... but nothing lived inside that hilux the following day.
it wont harm anything, hilux didnt even smell the next day.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #40
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah we bombed some insects recently too, it let off a mortein cloud visible from space
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #41
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh I forgot I once got a white tail spider put it in an old empty jam jar and screwed the lid on super tight, when the spider settled I blasted it with so much flyspray the spider turned completely white and was caked in flyspray buildup I put the lid back on and left mr white tail sit on the shelf in his jar, several weeks later mr spider returned to life and began building a web inside the jar! clearly the flyspray didn't kill him! I was amazed by this as the can clearly stated "kills spiders" I would advise a size 13 boot once any spider has been stunned by flyspray - but thats just me

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #42
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look on the bright side , if you can`t get rid of him you`ve been looking for an excuse to get into a new Fg .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #43
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently bought another EL XR6 and already own a EF XR6 and now i found another car id like to buy hahaha

I'll buy an FG in a couple yrs when they deppreciate abit more but im still looking for an immaculate EF/EL XR8 with under 100,000kms to start my new project.
Old 21-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
BOSHOG
avenge me

to the OP, if youre anywhere near newcastle shoot me a pm and ill get it for ya, its easy when you have the right gear
Old 21-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #45
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would you change the time on the clock?

Old 21-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #46
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey

thanx for makin me larf
Old 21-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #47
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

moth balls or ******** trough lollies have seen the lollies used in communications sites where there have been major insect and gecko problems go back 3 months later no spiders no geckos.

Urinal lollies cant use a p word obviously

Last edited by paule11; 21-04-2010 at 07:20 PM.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #48
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I had a redback in my garage last month - I nearly put my hand on it. Got rid of it with a quick spritz of WD-40 on a match. Instant flamethrower!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #49
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

when in vehicles (non station wagons, panel vans etc.), they generally sit between the boot rubber and the quarter panel. after a drive, open your boot and more often than not they will be visible there. it is my belief they do not like wind so while they will travel around the car, when the car is in motion it seems to be their best hiding place

if you actually catch a glimpse of it, a small shot of fly spray on it or around it will do the job. you do not need to cover them

and the old they cannot hurt you line only works when there are none around. i know they are harmless, but when the heart is beating at 200mph, i just cannot convince my brain that is the case

the weird thing is i will get almost face to face with a redback, but will run like a little girl at the first sight of a huntsman - it doesn't make sense, but i do not make the rules

and as obvious as this sounds, do not look under the sun visor when sitting in the car. only when outside the car. if it drops, it lands on the seat, better to be standing outside than sitting inside

Last edited by gtxb67; 21-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 08:15 PM   #50
XR8putts

Reading this thread alone has turned me into a 3yo girl. If I saw a Huntsman in person whilst driving - I'd undo my seatbelt and crash into a tree at speed just to get out of the situation..

Oh and thanks sgt_doofey, I'll never be able to look at an innocent clock ever again.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #51
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Reading this thread alone has turned me into a 3yo girl. If I saw a Huntsman in person whilst driving - I'd undo my seatbelt and crash into a tree at speed just to get out of the situation..
i had one in the car once, at a time when i had the sun visors and even the seat belts out. it was scary knowing there were so many extra holes it could jump out and introduce itself from

i have always been afraid of crashing into a tree. not for the impact - because of all the hairy huntsman's that will jump down onto the car. i pray that i would not be trapped in that situation
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 09:32 PM   #52
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

spiders scare the absolute crap out of me,scariest things on the planet bar nothing.

ive actually climbed out the passenger door once when a huntsman climbed up the drivers door pillar,i hit the brakes and went out the passenger door while the car was still rolling lol.just lucky it was a place with no traffic.

as for getting rid of them, ive heard a few times that if you park your car in the hot sun for a few days they tend to disappear ,works well in places like mt isa lol.

these days after i wash my car and it dries out i spray underneath it all etc with fortune 500,its pretty nasty stuff and seems to keep the spiders away.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #53
justbrett

Get yourself a female spider wasp, she'll fix the spider problem and her youngun's will get a feed when they hatch, win win situation! Unless you're scared of wasps that is ...
justbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #54
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey

oh man that is just BAD lol......i hate spiders out:, if it was my car i would strip the interior to the last nut till i found Mr arachnid, seal all holes then reasemble following execution of said arachnid, my mate had a bug problem in his el wagon , he parks it under a tree at work, i`ll ask him what he did to stop the problem.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #55
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahah that clock is awsome but i had 2 look at it twice to notice the legs LOL
Old 21-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #56
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guyz i think i need to get 1 of these things, hunt and swat the spider in no time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y
Old 21-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #57
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
hahahah that clock is awsome but i had 2 look at it twice to notice the legs LOL
Yea the hands are obvious Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #58
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

If you get them out into the open Carby Cleaner works a treat!

The other night I went out and cleaned the fence, quick spray along the bottom. Next morning, 7 dead Redbacks and 1 big bugger I had no idea what it was.

I park my car next to the fence, they like making their way over and setting up shop under the rear bar. Have about 2 or 3 redbacks next to my Redback exhaust :P

They annoy me when they run across the windscreen, a quick tip, dont try and hit them. That was an expensive lesson.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #59
Gladio

Lol I hate spiders! Had the same sorta problem in my work car, I put the heater on full max to the windscreen as I think the one in my car was hiding there!), closed all doors and left drivers side window open a lil. Within 10mins it was crawling out. Was sorta funny lol
Gladio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #60
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I hate them setting up shop under tarps and car covers, went to get the cover one day, chomp!! damn huntsman took a bite out of me. had another one (preggers) hiding under the tarp when i went to pick up my engine in a trailer recently. Handy spider murder #3: they don't like spray adhesive at all :P

had one of these under the tarp, size of my hand

certainly got my attention. last thing you need is this:

had an epic spider experience driving down robe terrace one day. was in the van and noticed a spider funnel in the corner of the dash, didn't take much notice of it. a wasp flew in the open window and made the mistake of taking an interest. within 2 seconds a sizeable spider was chowing down on it.

grossed out a little i kept driving until moments later a piece of wayward speaker wire brushed past my leg (wearing shorts at the time) I basically loose it and almost cause an accident freaking out. until i realised what it was, needless to say i soon introduced mortein to the van.

(*Shudders*) Hate the mongrel things

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post