Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #31
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I was actually wrong in my prior post about the 'Big Bud', production started in 1977. A couple were imported into Aussie & were used in central Queensland.

See web site here, bit of a beast:

http://www.williamsbigbud.com/bigbud.htm

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #32
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanp100
Did you take these photos of the Baldwin? Do you know where it was in Qld? Toobeah perhaps?
I didn't take the photos - they were passed onto me by a relative still in the game; He said they were taken over near Tara, Qld.

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #33
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Just got home from a relaxing weekend at Echuca, while we were up there we took a look at the Historic Steam Festival, plenty of old steam traction engines, old vintage tractors and trucks, but this thing stood out more than anything else I had seen in quite a while.......some people just have too much time on their hands.

Their almost classed as classics, and someone's done that.......
Old 09-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #34
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of the videos of bogged tractors and harvesters that were listed as relevant were funny as

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #35
deanp100

Thanks Burnedout. There were a couple near Goondiwindi working in the 80's on a property I worked on, but they were the smaller 5-600 hp models. They weren't real common and your photos could have been them. The 747 Baldwin(990hp) in your next post was certainly uncommon. 4 were made worldwide if I remember correctly. 2 to Australia, 2 for the States.
deanp100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #36
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where at Gundy, i have family up there, they might no them

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #37
deanp100

Back before the whole place turned to cotton, Arthur Norman from Toobeah had Big Buds working what was I believe the biggest wheat farm in Australia. He has passd away now,light aircraft crash. I used to work next door but he eventuallly swallowed up all the neighbourig properties to put under wheat. It was a sight to see. Last time I was out there, it was all cotton. I have a photo of one of his big buds doing tight donuts, emptying an airseeder ,creating a dust cloud with this blue and white monster appearing out of it. Quite a sight. It is amazing that these monster tractors were tiny compared to the 747 bud posted the photo of.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #38
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Interesting stats on the 'Big Bud' in the photo:

In 1977 the Big Bud 747 tractor was built in Havre, Montana. The tractor was built by Ron Harmon and the crew of the Northern Manufacturing Company. The tractor was built to produce 760 horsepower using a 16-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine.
The tractor measures 27 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 14 feet tall. The tires were specially made by United Tire Company of Canada and are 8 feet in diameter. When the 1,000US gallon fuel tank is full the tractor tips the scales at over 100,000US pounds.

RTV Power
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #39
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
The tractor was built to produce 760 horsepower using a 16-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine.
Big ol Screamin Demon 2 Stroker..........For some reason they loved the GM's back then......Noisy bloody things...."All revs and no go" to me..Hahaha
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv got a soft spot for the old GM 2 stroke diesels..!!! 6/53's, 6/71's 8v92TTA's etc's

Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #41
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Where at Gundy, i have family up there, they might no them
Ditto - except I lived there, be interested to know who you worked for.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #42
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Iv got a soft spot for the old GM 2 stroke diesels..!!! 6/53's, 6/71's 8v92TTA's etc's
Bloody oil sprayers if you ask me!

RTV Power
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
Bloody oil sprayers if you ask me!
They do sound tough as hell though!! There used to be a Diamond Rio tipper next door to my parent property when i was a kid, it used to scream its ring off hauling crushed rock up the quarry hill, never forget that sound.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #44
deanp100

Peuty, I worked on a small family property called Gamut Lea (John Slacksmith). It was next door to Arthur Norman's property. I can't remember his properties name. He bought Gamut Lea and turned it into wheat, then cotton and took some of my prime hunting ground at the same time. He used to have 4 silos at the AWB site at Bungunya when the rest of the district had 3 between them. Everything he did was quantity, not quality. One year he burnt a Big Bud to the ground in a stubble fire so his natural immediate response was to call Steiger and say" I need another tractor. How quickly can you bend over backwards for me" and they did very quickly. Lots of fun days as a boy.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #45
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
They do sound tough as hell though!! There used to be a Diamond Rio tipper next door to my parent property when i was a kid, it used to scream its ring off hauling crushed rock up the quarry hill, never forget that sound.
True in my ancient middle range farm induced deafness I'd forgotten the exclusive 2 stroke rattle.

I just remember stripping down a 671 in the Inter, in the paddock after it dropped it's guts, me trying to get a coupla 'undered ton in the silo. Rotten thing!
The Diamond T's & Reo's were good old beasties. Simple trucks for simple days. (Found another beauty up here, note to self, must get a pickie for Whoosha).

RTV Power
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #46
DECIM8

Geeez....definately something different
DECIM8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 AM   #47
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did someone say BloBak?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #48
cowboy
Cowboy

Quote:

Once you spend some time with them you can't help but love them, the sound! I worked for a bloke who was obsessed with them, even had a 4/53 in an F100.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4