Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Beerwah speed camera

Had to laugh.

The QLD police propaganda dept have come out and stated that the Beerwah camera must be faulty because it is not catching anyone speeding and therefore not paying for itself.

So they are going to spend lots investigating what is wrong with it.

My bet is they will lower the speed limit........

Old 27-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Beerwah speed camera

Not another thread...
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 27-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Not another thread...
Where is the other thread about the point to point camera system in Beerwah QLD that has not managed to issue a single ticket in 15 months?
Old 27-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Where is the other thread about the point to point camera system in Beerwah QLD that has not managed to issue a single ticket in 15 months?
Not this one but speed camera threads in general...
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 27-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Not this one but speed camera threads in general...
Fair enough.

The reason for this one was the news reports on Ch9 and all the posturing by the Police Minister and his lackey vs the president of the Police union.

Actually complaining in the media that it must be faulty as it was not making money was, to me, rather amusing......
Old 27-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Actually complaining in the media that it must be faulty as it was not making money was, to me, rather amusing......
you'd think it would be cause for celebration if they believed their own dribble.
Old 27-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Fair enough.

The reason for this one was the news reports on Ch9 and all the posturing by the Police Minister and his lackey vs the president of the Police union.

Yeah i do see the funny side though.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 27-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Someone told me that the bikers take the mobile off ramp and then go straight back on to avoid it. Not sure how truthful that is.

Anyway great to see it's being effective. I thought the police would be happy that it has had a positive impact.
Old 27-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Someone told me that the bikers take the mobile off ramp and then go straight back on to avoid it. Not sure how truthful that is.

Anyway great to see it's being effective. I thought the police would be happy that it has had a positive impact.
not just bikers do it...
Im surprised it hasnt got any people speeding though, Ive seen quite a few that slow down at the first one thinking its a speed camera then speed up straight after it

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 27-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I like the idea of a point to point radar, police and governments are keen to prove people speed all the time but
by it own admission the camera doesn't seem to be "working" properly, could it be drivers know they are being monitored...

IMO, the point to point cameras ARE working properly and doing their job of making drivers adhere to speed limit
but let's not have any of that non-cash (safety) success spilling over when cash driven propaganda will do the job.....

I mean, isn't behavior modification the basic philosophy of road safety or are we just after the cash and nothing more?

Last edited by jpd80; 27-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why cann't we have discussions on speed cameras????? They are a topic for discussion..I cann't stand the spin doctoring about them. IF THEY ARE USED AS INTENDED, NO PROBLEM..BUT THEY ARE NOT!!! They seem to be in the same no go zone as as other topics , in FF. Freedom of speech has several interpretations on FF..my rant for the evening!!!!!
Old 27-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I like the idea of a point to point radar, police and governments are keen to prove people speed all the time but
by it own admission the camera doesn't seem to be "working" properly, could it be drivers know they are being monitored...

IMO, the point to point cameras ARE working properly and doing their job of making drivers adhere to speed limit
but let's not have any of that non-cash (safety) success spilling over when cash driven propaganda will do the job.....

I mean, isn't behavior modification the basic philosophy of road safety or are we just after the cash and nothing more?

Your pious opinion is noted. However the dolts responsible for this money grubbing piece of equipment have admitted that the damned things have never worked properly and they are going to replace them with fixed cameras.

As the current cameras are mounted 800 metres apart, any murderous child killing, family destroying criminal driving past the two of them at a few kms over the posted limit will be booked twice, thus multiplying the amount of revenue raised by two .... that should make up for the previous deficit.
Old 27-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Is this the camera on the Bruce, where it is 110 zone and everyone seems to be doing 120 (at least before and after they're near the camera)?
Old 28-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
They couldn't get the system here in vic to work. So its been turned off.
Old 28-07-2011, 01:20 AM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

I take the exit at Glasshouse, sorry, Steve Irwin Way, too and re-enter on the opposite side, apparently it cant see you re-enter. And from its positioning, it might be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Is this the camera on the Bruce, where it is 110 zone and everyone seems to be doing 120 (at least before and after they're near the camera)?
Im guessing yes, and the other end is near Caloundra.
Old 28-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I take the exit at Glasshouse, sorry, Steve Irwin Way, too and re-enter on the opposite side, apparently it cant see you re-enter. And from its positioning, it might be true.

Im guessing yes, and the other end is near Caloundra.
thats a big detour? People just take the off ramp for the Mobil servo then come straight back on the the highway on the other side of the bridge

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
Old 28-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why cann't we have discussions on speed cameras????? They are a topic for discussion..I cann't stand the spin doctoring about them. IF THEY ARE USED AS INTENDED, NO PROBLEM..BUT THEY ARE NOT!!! They seem to be in the same no go zone as as other topics , in FF. Freedom of speech has several interpretations on FF..my rant for the evening!!!!!
It's not spped camera threads as such but what they always seem to become. you get the usual few who seem hell bent on making it a political thread or a cop bashing thread and then the name calling starts and the thread gets closed. This thread is still open because this hasn't happened yet but give it a day or so and it will start. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it some people just can't help themselves

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 28-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Your pious opinion is noted. However the dolts responsible for this money grubbing piece of equipment have admitted that the damned things have never worked properly and they are going to replace them with fixed cameras.

As the current cameras are mounted 800 metres apart, any murderous child killing, family destroying criminal driving past the two of them at a few kms over the posted limit will be booked twice, thus multiplying the amount of revenue raised by two .... that should make up for the previous deficit.
Pious attitude?
1. Rules is rules, learn to follow them or suffer the consequences.
2. I don't make the rules.

the distance is 800 metres?
Wow, I could have sworn the second group of cameras were kilometres up the road,
anyway doesn't affect me when the cruise button is activated....

Last edited by jpd80; 28-07-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 28-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
thats a big detour? People just take the off ramp for the Mobil servo then come straight back on the the highway on the other side of the bridge
Yep that's what I do
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
robrex

I fear that people trying to avoid the camera and taking the mobil exit are going to cause a serious accident at some stage. I've seen people continue at 110 through the offramp across the intersection at the overpass and straight back on the highway without slowing down. Living in the area, I can tell you that lot's of people don't stop coming across the bridge and if that happens...look out :-(
I turn off at that exit to go home and I've seen some near misses already. My guess is their investigations will lead to a STOP sign at the bridge...I hope.
Old 28-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #21
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates and i joke that we love point to point speed cameras, they really do save lives by reducing fatigue, and they let you have fun by speeding excessively!... You see, i can drive at 220km/h whilst on that section of road, and then stop revive survive for 5 - 10 mins (or whatever time i need to 'slow down' for), get out, have a walk, take a leak and then get back on my merry way through the end of the point to point and not get a speeding ticking.

Just gotta pray that there are no real cops on that stretch They're a little harder to trick! If only there were more of them instead!
Old 28-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
No, only the people in the left lane overtaking the idiots with strange coloured number plates blocking in the right lane doing 103km/h are doing 120++......

I am very suspicious about the actual intent of that trap.

For those who do not know the area, the freeway north is heavily congested every evening up to the Bribie intersection with well over half the traffic turning right or left there to wander off into the outer 'burbs.

For those heading north for somewhere in the next 1500km of Bruce Highway (or 3000km if you continue on) this is the first piece of clear road after being trapped in bumper to bumper commuter migration and is a nice separated 4 lane freeway designed to the 160km/h European standard (except for the "emergency access" U turn stupidity) so is therefore what appears to be a perfect place to extract money from people who have just spent a very frustrating first hour of what may be a quite long journey.

Every K over is a dollar.

But I have learned something from our southern road nazi trolls.

As 5km/h over doubles the chance of being involved in an accident and EVERYONE WHO SPEEDS DIES IN A CAR ACCIDENT, I am buying TWO tickets in the next $50,000,000 lotto so I am guaranteed to win it, the trolls never lie.......
Old 28-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro

Couple of weeks ago I saw 3 cameras in the space of less then 700m apart.
A fixed camera, a 'safety' camera and then a cop with a radar gun.

I was told here by the speed camera lovers that it is 100% OK and not revenue raising.

I don't see that road as a particularly dangerous road.... it is a perfectly straight 60 zone leading up to an 80 zone, so go figure.
Old 28-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Yeah, I didnt mean take the Steve Irwin Way up past Mooloolah. Opposite side, as in exit to entry. Although I did take the Iwin Way a week or so ago as i had to go to Glasshouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrex
I fear that people trying to avoid the camera and taking the mobil exit are going to cause a serious accident at some stage. I've seen people continue at 110 through the offramp across the intersection at the overpass and straight back on the highway without slowing down. Living in the area, I can tell you that lot's of people don't stop coming across the bridge and if that happens...look out :-(
I turn off at that exit to go home and I've seen some near misses already. My guess is their investigations will lead to a STOP sign at the bridge...I hope.
Im gonna guess they will move the cameras north of that highway entrance. When they realise their 'DOH!' moment.

A bit like the old toll booth on the Sunshine Motorway. although they juust ripped them out in the end. Toll Busters.
Old 28-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
Tobey
BF Ute...

So in QLD the P2P cameras actually do cars? They are only for heavy vehicles in NSW...
Old 28-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There putting p2p in NSW for cars apparently.

I thought there already was some anyway.
Old 28-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #27
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Already P2P in Canberra for all motorists.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 28-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

The carnage up in QLD must be horrendous without the protection of the cameras. When they turned them off in the Northern oustskirts of Melb it was terrible! The g'ment lost heaps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
You want freedom of speech? Go stand on the steps of parliament and rant. You want a vote on the way its run start your own Forum and then you can do what ever you want. It has a set of rules and guide lines that you agreed to by joining so stop your ranting and take it up with your state member. This Forum is supplied free for you and others to come and go as you please and if the rules and guide lines associated with it aint to your liking ......... bye.

My rant for the day is that I leave way too many posts way too long before they become locked.

The reason that Speed camera thread do not survive is the same as any other passionate topic associated with politics. They become repetitive, the same people saying the same things and being an Automotive Forum the against will out way the fores .... and sometimes aggressively so. It only takes (2 in this case) to try to push their points across to those that do not agree and wont accept their hysterics. Where else is it going to end but in the poo!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 28-07-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 28-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #29
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I was informed the P2P at the twin Mobils was for heavy vehicles only. Cause if it was for all vehicles I should have been done hundreds of times over.
Old 28-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pious attitude?
1. Rules is rules, learn to follow them or suffer the consequences.
2. I don't make the rules.

the distance is 800 metres?
Wow, I could have sworn the second group of cameras were kilometres up the road,
anyway doesn't affect me when the cruise button is activated....
Why do I get visions of black uniforms, hats with skull badges and people in striped pajamas being loaded into trains.......

But those guys would not have affected me so I suppose the mindset that all laws that do not cause me problems personally are just and fair is still allive and well in some places.......
Closed Thread