Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What colour combination would you pick for a black car?
Navy background with white letters 12 19.05%
Red background with white letters 14 22.22%
White baqkground with red letters (current) 4 6.35%
Pink background with white letters 7 11.11%
Standard basic SA plates (white background with black letters) 26 41.27%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-12-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default What colour personalised plates?

I recently have gotten rid of my custom plates (silver writing on black background). They are too expensive here: $200 a year, every year. Also, I wanted to add an "E" and a "T" to our family plates... So we decided to go with personalised plates, which are only $170 once off.

Problem is that you cant get black and silver with this kind, and with a black car, we didnt have many to pick from. I immediately discarded green of any kind.

Eamon preferred a dark blue background with white letters. I preferred red background with white letters. We hated each others choice, so we compromised and went with white background with red letters (see the pic).

I have decided that I dont like them and I want to go with my first choice - red background and white writing (reverse of current plates)...

Anyways, which ones would you guys pick for a black car?

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

You are the bOSS.Just put the foot down and go for the red background and white writing..
Old 30-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pink will get you lots of looks at the lights I always have a look in cars with pink plates! Ha.

I Voted for white with black lettering.
Only because i'm a fan of things matching. Nothing else red on the car so they wont look as subtle and neat as white and black in my opinion.

I've got a blueprint ute so i got light blue with white letters, and the ef xr is navy blue so i just left the standard white background with navy lettering.

Debating weather or not to keep paying full rego on the motorbike, its getting close to $400 per year, but plates match the bike!! Ha, white with blue lettering, rec rego is only about $40 per year but plates are yellow with red lettering!!! As bad as NSW plates!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also voted white with black lettering (the whole matching thing)..

Mind you, I never matched plates with my car (went the FORD V8 Supercars ones) :

In the end maybe just throw all options into a hat.. pick out one then throw it back..(after reading what it was) and get Eamon to pick one out..
maybe let the kids all have a go too..

That way if you came up with the same option a few times, there is your answer (have no idea what to do if you came up with different options each time though :evil_laug )
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
XRchic
Hello

I should have mentioned that the standard SA plates are just 3 letters and 3 numbers with no choice at all. Just standard boring plates... even though they are black on white, they are just generic and bland (which some people like I guess). The reason I dont like the red on white is that they look too much like generic plates with boring white background...

Old 30-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I should have mentioned that the standard SA plates are just 3 letters and 3 numbers with no choice at all. Just standard boring plates... even though they are black on white, they are just generic and bland (which some people like I guess).
Oh well in that case I change my vote.... that isn't good. I thought you meant white background with black letters of your choice... bugga...

I probably would go with the dark blue background white letters..

I also didn't like the look of the white background and red letters, but unless you are putting red into the car somewhere then red really won't look good..
Just my opinion though..

not much help eh.. try the hat thing Jac e
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I should have mentioned that the standard SA plates are just 3 letters and 3 numbers with no choice at all. Just standard boring plates... even though they are black on white, they are just generic and bland (which some people like I guess). The reason I dont like the red on white is that they look too much like generic plates with boring white background...

Ahhh, ok. I thought by the options in the poll you were meaning same lettering, but just the generic plate colours.

If thats the case, i'd like to change my vote to "or keep paying $200 per year and keep the black plates with silver lettering" looked very smart!
Old 30-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

White background with red lettering down here are government plates. Knew there was a reason i didnt like them as much.
Old 31-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
White background with red lettering down here are government plates. Knew there was a reason i didnt like them as much.
Mate I'm from Geelong. I've been over here for about 2 years now. I know that the Vic government plates are the white with red letters, but I've got to say I still think on a black car the current plates we have on Jacs car are better than red background with white letters IMO. I don't know why, I just don't think it looks good.

But I agree that the black plates would have been the best, the price is just prohibitive though! Atleast in Vic you get black plates for the same price as any other plate. I think they were about $310 once off if I remember correctly?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Mate I'm from Geelong. I've been over here for about 2 years now. I know that the Vic government plates are the white with red letters, but I've got to say I still think on a black car the current plates we have on Jacs car are better than red background with white letters IMO. I don't know why, I just don't think it looks good.

But I agree that the black plates would have been the best, the price is just prohibitive though! Atleast in Vic you get black plates for the same price as any other plate. I think they were about $310 once off if I remember correctly?

I'm hearing you about the colour combo! Red on white looks much more subtle and neat than the white letter on red back.

Vic plates are still a once off. $395 for custom, or $495 for custom mix plates (custom mix can have numbers in the middle to substitute letters and have letters after them again. ordinary custom can only have numbers are the end and no more letters following the number) 1 good thing about Vic! Ha.

Saw a set of WA plates the other day, 10 letters!!!! Now that'd be nice! Think of how many new combos that'd open up!
Old 31-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #11
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

you forgot black background white letters and white background black letters
Old 31-12-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Red always looks good with black. Go Bombers :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

If you think the plates you had were too expensive at $200 a year, you'd hate to pay the $400 a year I pay for mine. I'd stick with the black and silver. It really looked classy.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
XRchic
Hello

Sticking with the custom plates is not an option due to financial reasons and I have already ended the agreement. And I wish I had not put up the option of the standard SA plates, as I do not intend to leave them on my car - they are XLL 517. I never really intended that to be an option - more of the joke option. LOL.

Old 31-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #15
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
you forgot black background white letters and white background black letters
I didnt forget it, its not an option unless you go to custom plates.

Old 31-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #16
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I recently have gotten rid of my custom plates (silver writing on black background). They are too expensive here: $200 a year, every year. Also, I wanted to add an "E" and a "T" to our family plates... So we decided to go with personalised plates, which are only $170 once off.

Problem is that you cant get black and silver with this kind, and with a black car, we didnt have many to pick from. I immediately discarded green of any kind.

Eamon preferred a dark blue background with white letters. I preferred red background with white letters. We hated each others choice, so we compromised and went with white background with red letters (see the pic).

I have decided that I dont like them and I want to go with my first choice - red background and white writing (reverse of current plates)...

Anyways, which ones would you guys pick for a black car?

Mate of mine had red background white writing on is Red SS Ute looked smicked when he traded it in for his Black SS Crewman he keep the same combo it look crapola on the black car IMO. He noe has those plates on his white Hi-Lux work ute that he couldnt give a toss about. Its not the perfect match but as you dont want the generic look I voted dark blue background white writing. Which is the best combo available of those choices IMO. It would be great if you could get personalised plates here with black background white or silver writing. Without the ongoing costs they ask for custom plates.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
XRchic
Hello

LOL I can see that people are picking navy. I just dont see how navy can look good on black. It neither matches or has contrast. I am definitely not getting that one anyway - Id rather have pink!

Id be happy if I could get black background and white writing in personalised plates.

Old 31-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you can... go black background with white writing, or silver writing.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #19
Pouki
Crusin

go black background with white letters if u change cars it will go with anything which is good bout it cheers
Pouki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #20
capriv8

I chose navy background with white letters it will be a close match/link with your Ford badge on your grill, none of the other colours have any relation to your car. Looks like a very nice place where you took the photo.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Eamon (is that correct spelling?) is the photoshop genious isn't he? Get him to photoshop the options and then we'll choose! LOL!

At least I thought it was Eamon. I apologise if I've mucked it up.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #22
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriv8
Looks like a very nice place where you took the photo.
It's a beautifull place where the photo was taken its Victor Harbour SA or as we say Victor (its also where SA has its schoolies celerbration lol.) Anyone that hasnt seen it b4 search for Victor Harbour on the web im sure you will love it. Or if your if your ever in Adelaide you must go to Victor for the day at least its about 75 kms South of Adelaide.

Victor enjoy http://www.victor.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=288

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).

Last edited by MoreHPformyXR6; 31-12-2006 at 08:01 PM.
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #23
XRchic
Hello

LOL as far as I am aware, Eamon has never used Photoshop! I will see if I can get onto the Transport SA site and get pics of the plates.

I cant believe so many people are choosing the standard SA black on white XLL 517 plates which mean nothing!!! I only put that option as a joke! And I cant believe how many people are saying to choose the white/silver on black option when I said it is already not available in the plates I am getting! LOL!!!

What really surprises me also is how many people think a plate with a navy background can look good on a black car!!! Now where is that puke smiley???

And yeah, Victor is a nice place! For more pics from there, have a look in the SA section under the Xmas Cruise thread - all my Victor pics are in there.

OK here are examples of the colours that I could find.

The red one is a custom plate, but it is just an example of white letters on red background. The blue one is an exact example of what Eamon would like, except change the letters to JECCT - 1 and the black and white one is just the standard one, like our XLL 517 plate that we have.

Last edited by XRchic; 31-12-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
5L
[ 5L ]

i rekon red background with white writing. it stands out, and still looks good. my favourite combo which wont be available to you though unless you go custom is the black background with gold writing.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 AM   #25
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just move to vic. $395 and you've got whatever colour you like, and got them for life!!

On a serious note, can you chop and change colours over there?
As far as i'm aware, (i currently have light blue back ground with white letters which almost matches the blueprint) if i decided i got sick of my current colours, i can call up, pay whatever replacement plates are worth which i think is about $40 odd bucks each for slimline, and get my plates in a different colour. So if i got say a silver ute i'd just call up and get my plates switched to black with white letters, pay the plate cost and wahlah!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #26
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

I would always go for black background with white letters down here and if i lived up in nsw i would go the reverse for sure, because black and white is classic and goes with any colour so then if you change your car and or colour you don't have to worry about you plates.... and also if you want to sell them you have a wider sales range...... :
Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #27
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Jac, go pink! When I think of a combo I want I am getting silver with pink lettering.

I like how you use each family members initial for the plate. Are you still going to be able to do that? Sorry Im confused, dont understand this 'pay each year' thing, nor the difference between custom and personalised plates, to me it seems the same thing.

Good luck!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Hey Jen, Im seriously thinking about pink. And I think people dont get what the regular SA plates are and are picking them just becauase they are black and white LOL. Me stupid for putting that as an option I guess, but it was a joke!!!

Custom plates are any choice of letters up to 6 letters for $200 per year, and $240 per year for 7 letters. Dont have to have any numbers from what I know. No gaps between the letters either. So you can have 123, or X or ANNE or XR8TED. Basically any combo. With custom plates, you also get the choices of black, gold and silver backgrounds as well as silver and gold letters, which you dont get with any other kind of plate. Also a bigger range of other colours.

Personalised plates you have to have at least one of a number or a letter. So you have to have one of AAAAA 1 (which is my current combo), or AAAA 11 or AAA 111 or AA 1111 or A 11111. So you cant have anything like XR8ED or anything like that. There has to be 6 characters, of the above combos. So you could have ANNE 11 or JO 7777 and so on. Mine are JECCT 1. No gold or silver with letters or backgrounds and no black background. Much smaller choice of colours. $170 once off payment.

Standard SA plates, you have no choice of colour or letters. Currently, the letters are in the X range, so mine is XLL 517, Eamon's was XGO 152 or something. They are white background and black letters and cost $27 or something for the pair and they are what you get on your new car if you dont order specific plates. In Vic, the standard ones are either blue or green on white (Ive seen both).... They are boring and I dont want standard plates. Hence it was a joke.

I cant afford custom plates anymore, but I dont want to go back to standard ones (even though they are black and white), so I thought personalised was a compromise. No way am I putting navy on my car, so its either going to be red backgroud or pink background with white letters.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #29
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanst
I would always go for black background with white letters down here and if i lived up in nsw i would go the reverse for sure, because black and white is classic and goes with any colour so then if you change your car and or colour you don't have to worry about you plates.... and also if you want to sell them you have a wider sales range...... :
I cant get the black and white option as I am NOT getting custom plates. In personalised plates, that option is not available, only the standard plates are black and white and you cant sell them or keep them - they go on the car when you sell it, if it is registered. Why would you want to keep standard issue plates or sell them?????

Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #30
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Now I understand.

For all non SA-ers check this link out to understand the combos.

http://www.ezyreg.sa.gov.au/ezyreg/personalised.htm

Pink on White Background or White on Pink Background. Depends how pink you want to be! Both would look good.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post