Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default best shocks?

best shocks for allround performance? the ones i have now are just way too hard. the car has XR8 springs- 50mm drop and 18" wheels swaybars are all rebushed with nolathane.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

What shocks do you have now?

Konis or Bilsteins are generally considered excellent choices, but it just depends on your budget.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had my old shocks regased, which i have had done on many of my cars, and we went with "hard". for some reason these ones never felt right and after 2 years they are just like rocks.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
adumb
FG G6ET

I have KYB shocks with king lows and 18's and the ride is still a good compromise between handling & comfort
adumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

My bilsteins are great.. not cheap..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm using pedders front Monroe gt gas in the back and the back is a bit bumpier eg I don't feel uncomprtable on a train track until the back starts going over, the fronts seem to absorb the shock much more
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
sleeper393

Thumbs up

i've had my bilstein , eibach combo for over five years , carried heap of weight to and from melb to syd , rough roads , goat tracks , you name it , and they dont give up, so bilsteins get my vote every time worth the extra coin.
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iv been told that Monroe gt gas are good allrounders.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
iv been told that Monroe gt gas are good allrounders.
HORSES for courses really depends on how much your willing to spend , like i said i like my bilsteins , one the quality is excellent , they are rebuildable. and they have a track proven record , i have used pedders , monroe , de carbon, still prefer bisteins , but there are many other great brands , koni , kyb, gabriel. just dont ever use those ULTIMA BRAND from ebay , shizen housen

Last edited by sleeper393; 01-08-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: change
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
HORSES for courses really depends on how much your willing to spend , like i said i like my bilsteins , one the quality is excellent , they are rebuildable. and they have a track proven record , i have used pedders , monroe , de carbon, still prefer bisteins , but there are many other great brands , koni , kyb, gabriel. just dont ever use those ULTIMA BRAND from ebay , shizen housen
i considered the ultima`s some time ago, what did`nt you like about them Sleeper 393?
i like my Koni`s, but they are a little bit firmer with 18`s than i would have liked, the 18`s were a pressy so i`m stuck with them, the factory 225 50 16 wheels they were a tad nicer to ride with, it handles pretty good though .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Koni red's IMO price for price i would take them over Bilstein anyday..

Lucky i get to drive multiple cars with performance suspension eh ?

They also feel like a factory shock with 20"s fitted....
Cheers..Daz.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i considered the ultima`s some time ago, what did`nt you like about them Sleeper 393?
i like my Koni`s, but they are a little bit firmer with 18`s than i would have liked, the 18`s were a pressy so i`m stuck with them, the factory 225 50 16 wheels they were a tad nicer to ride with, it handles pretty good though .
i purchased them for a cheap quick fix as i was going away , fronts only bottomed out and blew there seals after 3 months, dont know if i was unlucky , but that put me off. i had the bilsteins on the rear , but didnt have enough coin at the time to get the fronts , so ultimas went on.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

i love how every couple of years, the same qusetions come up. I love how 18 months ago-such questions are answered with- use the search function!

Is it because people have progressed to B series now- that the same questions can NOW be re asked?

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've used Koni, Bilstein, Monroe, Gabriel, Ultima, and KYB.

Koni yellow and Bilstein sports are very similar and both excellent, but also big $$.

Koni red are not as good as either of the above, but not as expensive either.

The rest are not as good as any of the above, all very similar, all a little better than OEM stuff, and ok for the $$.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have new monroe sports on front with superlows, new nolathane bush's, all 2 weeks old, better than old stockies. I would ask this, if it wasnt for **** roads the bumps would not be a prob, my setup is very smooth, responsive and quite on a smooth road and a pleasure to drive, bumpy roads sort out the **** shocks. I would like better. Its a bit of a hard ride, i was warned.

AZZA
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
i love how every couple of years, the same qusetions come up. I love how 18 months ago-such questions are answered with- use the search function!

Is it because people have progressed to B series now- that the same questions can NOW be re asked?

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!
So what your asking poeple to do is not ask questions when this forum is all about helping others with there problems!!!!!
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Read my post. nope asking for em to use the search function. How many times should the same questions be answered?

unless of cause heaps of new products have become availabe for The AU falcon that none of us are aware of.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And if he posted in an old thread everyone would be up in arms over the thread mine. If a thread comes up that you're bored of no one is making you read it
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
EV1LXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
And if he posted in an old thread everyone would be up in arms over the thread mine. If a thread comes up that you're bored of no one is making you read it

agreed no downers allowed 18 months is a long time i havent even been on this site for that long, people always tell others to do a thread search but i can never find exactly wat im lookin for
EV1LXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #20
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV1LXR8
agreed no downers allowed 18 months is a long time i havent even been on this site for that long, people always tell others to do a thread search but i can never find exactly wat im lookin for
and some things change in short periods of time , people have tried things and over time there opinons on brands change , i may use a particular brand and suggest to others its great but then after twelve months it may not have met my expectations there for search for another and other peoples experiences.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
robbyj
Rob

Also, the search function on this site isn't the best.. if you search it in Google, returns more results from this site then the own site search function. IMO anyway.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post