Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default In Melbourne - automobile museums.

Hi everyone.
Whitty here from Perth.
We are in Melbourne for a 10 day break and Id love to see some car displays while im here.
I plan to see Lindsay Fox's collection and the Shifting Gear display but I also wanted to make the tip down to Geelong to see the Discovery Centre but o my horror I see its closed!!!
Does anyone know if the cars have been moved to another location? Specifically the XH concept ute?
Any other suggestions for car displays or any other interesting stuff i should check out while im here?

Cheers guys.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
ultvict

Default Re: In Melbourne - automobile museums.

Welcome to Melbourne, hope you have a great time.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I would suggest the Shepparton Motor Museum. (http://sheppartonmotormuseum.com.au/) It has plenty of classic cars and antiques. I visited a few months back with my girlfriend (who isn't into cars) and we both enjoyed it, even though the cars were well before our time. I'd say its worth the time since enjoyed our afternoon and neither of us are super into cars, especially my girlfriend, but there's something cool about being around such old, classic cars.
ultvict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
nikko2

Ford's Dicovery centre has closed, but the Geelong Museum of Motoring and Industry is well worth a visit. Apparently some of the exhibits are from the Dicovery Centre but as I never had chance to visit (it closed before I arrived in Geelong) I can't confirm this but it still worth a look.

Www.gmom.com.au

If you come for a visit just check opening times as it is not open all week.
nikko2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Fed square has one on at the moment.. Its got the EFIJY out on display at the front.

https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/media_rel...tralian-car-3/

Bahh. I see you already mentioned that one!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

http://www.australasianmotormuseums.com.au/
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

There is a museum near Arthur's Seat on the Mornington Peninsula (near Rosebud approx 1.5hr drive), has a variety of old cars with quite a few Studebakers - charliesautomuseum.com.au

A bit further out of town is Freestone's 1960's diner & museum at Airey's Inlet on the Great Ocean Road (1.5-2hr) - freestonesroadhaven.com.au
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultvict View Post
Welcome to Melbourne, hope you have a great time.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I would suggest the Shepparton Motor Museum. (http://sheppartonmotormuseum.com.au/) It has plenty of classic cars and antiques. I visited a few months back with my girlfriend (who isn't into cars) and we both enjoyed it, even though the cars were well before our time. I'd say its worth the time since enjoyed our afternoon and neither of us are super into cars, especially my girlfriend, but there's something cool about being around such old, classic cars.
I think the Shepparton Art Gallery is doing something about Classic American Muscle Cars at the moment as well, here is a link, but only until May 17 - Shepp Art Museum

The V8's are at Winton this weekend, a 45 minute drive east from Shepparton

There is a pretty good Holden museum at Echuca, a 45 minute drive north west from Shepparton
Old 12-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It's also worth a trip to Castlemaine to check out Hadfields Hot Rods. Rod Hadfield created the Castlemaine Rod Shop. And has built many cool cars over the years. And has a museum full of them.

I can't get the links to work right now. But Google Hadfield hot rods in Chewton. (Just the Melbourne side of Castlemaine. It's an easy 1 1/2 from Melb.
Old 13-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you would like a country trip east of Melb there is a car musuem at Maffra 2-2.1/2 hrs drive from Melb. WWW. gippslandvehiclecollection.org.au. Worth a visit
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers guys for the feedback, didnt expect that much car stuff to check out! Now i have to break the news to my wife.

I went to the Shifting Gears at Ferderation Square and it was more "Quality than quantity" thats for sure. Some amazing concept cars and classic cars plus some interesting old photos but was smaller than expected.
Im going to Fox's car collection on Friday and might head over to Frankston on the weekend.
I emailed the national automotive gallery assn' and they said some of the cars at the Ford Discovery Centre were DESTROYED!!!!

Thanks again guys!
Melbourne sure is a hive of activity, fast paced and everyone is very friendly.
One thing that suprised me (motoring wise) is I have not seen one Hilux! Navara's and Rangers everywhere compared to Perth as Hilux's dominate the 4x4 and tradie market.

Click here to see my ute

Last edited by fordOwner; 13-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
satria
FOXWHO

I really enjoyed the Echuca Holden museum.

As die hard Ford as I am I still really enjoyed some of the cars in there. The biggest and best suprise for me was the HRT Maloo ute, man I would love to drive that beast on the road!
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

welcome, If the weather was nice you could have seen some usually nice street machines at stkilda beach on friday nights or dandy rd from oakliegh onwards until spirngvale.. you'll need to come back in summer

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post