Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #4591
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Been enjoying the last few days off sitting in front of a log fire, house sitting a funny little Dachshund and a nervous Dalmatian while the rain falls.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 03:36 PM   #4592
.:4:.
Kicking back

Dalmations are funny. I did a domestic years ago, the owners had a lab and a dalmatian. It wasnt a fenced property, but the owners said if the dogs are at the front door let them out but keep an eye on them. The lab, she was a sucker for attention. I'd be working away and this girl would walk up, lean on me, and lean harder untill she got a pat then trot away. The dalmatian, she would be all day tail between her legs and if any noise was made would shake like a leaf. The only time she wasnt nevouse was waiting for the front door to be opened for toilet time. One outside both dogs would play chasys or whatever dogs do for fun.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #4593
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Dalmations are funny. I did a domestic years ago, the owners had a lab and a dalmatian. It wasnt a fenced property, but the owners said if the dogs are at the front door let them out but keep an eye on them. The lab, she was a sucker for attention. I'd be working away and this girl would walk up, lean on me, and lean harder untill she got a pat then trot away. The dalmatian, she would be all day tail between her legs and if any noise was made would shake like a leaf. The only time she wasnt nevouse was waiting for the front door to be opened for toilet time. One outside both dogs would play chasys or whatever dogs do for fun.
This one is a wreck from being left as a puppy in a cage on the tarmac of an airport during a thunderstorm by staff. Poor thing doesn't like loud noises, clapping of hands and especially thunderstorms. And yes the tail between the legs, shaking, half whimpering. Meanwhile Spencer the Dachs is blind in one eye and a little deaf but is a real little champ.
ts well documented when a large dog (especially male) wants to force it's way between you and whatever you are doing its signalling its intention to be pack leader over you. Working on many different properties I find most dogs are reasonably predictable in what they do except one, the Doberman. I once had a Doberman do this to me so freaked me a little.

This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 09:33 PM   #4594
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Booked a couple of nights in the Grampians next week for a road trip, haven’t been over the border since covid started.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 18-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #4595
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chatham island blue cod.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2022, 08:12 PM   #4596
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I had a customer in today who brought her 7-month old Cocker Spaniel in with her. I have a special connection to this breed, they are just so well natured dogs, and ultra cute. Apparently it was his first trip out, and he was having a ball. I even forgave him for ruining my perfectly raked gravel paths, them spending $500 also a sweetener.

I hope this customer returns again, and brings the little cutie with her.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2022, 11:52 PM   #4597
Itsme
Experienced Member

Well today was another slog with Ancestry.com working on the family tree especially my dads side of the family, made some satisfying progress after 10 years research of discovering who may be my grandfather. This has made my day since both parents, uncles and aunts are all deceased but persistence along with DNA is starting to finally pay.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2022, 11:58 PM   #4598
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Caught up briefly with an occasional collaborator. Did I have a spare can of spray foam and feel like a drive? Apparently the cold snap plus general shortages of building supplies are making this item less easy to find right now. The reason for such compliance at 9PM Saturday? If I said to this fellow I needed work, it would be instantly delivered. It’s good to have a contingency plan.

Job jobbed, clincher was a funny story about Shavuot (a cultural festival that features dairy treats heavily) whereby a bunch of cheesecake and other tasty goodies were inadvertently locked in a garage (fridge) with neither remote nor key to be found. The family were desperate, looking high and low - concluding the keys must have been locked in the garage. After frantically re-making the trapped items to meet deadlines and setting aside, the key/remote was subsequently located in the baker’s apron pouch.

The punchline? This discovery came after they’d broken into their own garage to search.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 19-06-2022 at 12:25 AM.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #4599
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I need to go to one of these "Shavuot's", sounds tasty.
Old 19-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #4600
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

You want Chanukah. Jam donuts and potato cakes (anything indulgent and fried, really), plus it normally wraps up just in time for a Christmas fest.
Old 19-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #4601
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Sitting here, sun streaming in on the shortest day of the year, listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons "Winter."

5 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #4602
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Why is it…Whenever the cat catches a rat he tries to bring it inside, where it then dashes somewhere inaccessible?
This came to its conclusion a few minutes ago when the cat suddenly LAUNCHED off the bed - yes, I was sound asleep dreaming of a new Ranger with service body (true - the shame of dreaming about cheating on Povo Ute! ). Much squeaking and scuffling, then the rat was no more.

A pat and biscuits to Kitty for his troubles, the rat will be buried for his courage - not binned. But it’s nice not to worry about a loose rat in the house.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2022, 07:41 AM   #4603
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Sitting here, sun streaming in on the shortest day of the year, listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons "Winter."
Wasn't it Vivaldi who was caught miming to his records on stage?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #4604
roKWiz
Cabover nut

To the last 2 posts..........Wash your mouths out with soap.

Old 20-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #4605
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Gave the Ranger a bit of love over the weekend, had the trans serviced by my mechanic who said the old fluid was pretty good, then stopped in at my local Repco for new air filter and cabin filter.
Air filter wasnt too bad but the cabin filter was well overdue.
New steering rack going into the FG as I type.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #4606
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
You're suffering from premature celebration, RW. Today is the winter solstice (technically the longest night of the year, not the shortest day).

It's also my Mum's birthday today. Whilst her birthday is not always the same day as the Winter Solstice, it is a good way to remember roughly when it is.

My dad always used to joke that it was a dark, dark day the day my Mum was born.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #4607
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
You're suffering from premature celebration, RW. Today is the winter solstice (technically the longest night of the year, not the shortest day).

It's also my Mum's birthday today. Whilst her birthday is not always the same day as the Winter Solstice, it is a good way to remember roughly when it is.

My dad always used to joke that it was a dark, dark day the day my Mum was born.
I dunno, I was always told it was actually the 22nd (remember it as that ,as a kid in my class at school was the shortest and it was his birthday.) but while listening to said radio when I posted they announced it. It was the ABC so it must be right, right?

Old 21-06-2022, 03:11 PM   #4608
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading today that men (sorry, transgender) can't compete in women's swimming.
I'm sorry, but this is the correct move, generally they're taller, longer arms, bigger hands, more upper body strength etc.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #4609
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
I dunno, I was always told it was actually the 22nd (remember it as that ,as a kid in my class at school was the shortest and it was his birthday.) but while listening to said radio when I posted they announced it. It was the ABC so it must be right, right?
Yeah, the shortest (or longest, in summer) day actually varies from year to year, because it's the longest night that is actually measured. And because the nights aren't always centred around midnight, it changes the shortest day and therefore the date. Add to that the fact that we only have 365 days in our yearly calendar, instead of 365.25 days as the earth takes to orbit the sun.

Anyway, it's generally around the 21st. Sometimes a day earlier or a day later. But I don't think it's ever as early as the 19th. Perhaps that was the announcer's last working day prior to the actual solstice?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #4610
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"You meet the nicest people in a Ford" Nice bloke, a bit older than me, he was driving a G6 (?), just let me into a busy roundabout. I put the window down and gave him a wave of thanks. (And I wasn't in a Ford.)
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #4611
dreew
Starter Motor

fighting with depression
dreew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #4612
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Got my Mercedes Benz DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR !!! recall notice
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 08:40 PM   #4613
dreew
Starter Motor

To fight with depression helped me one organization of https://www.australiacounselling.com...organisations/ Guys helped me with some tips like taking on a new responsibility at work, such as mentoring a junior staff member or improving your presentation skills. Work on a DIY project, such as fixing a broken bike, garden gate or something bigger
dreew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 10:46 PM   #4614
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Schadenfreude, sort-of. Cheaper tradespeople who don’t think about what’s in a wall before drilling 6mm holes.
Old 24-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #4615
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Certainly not getting my 2nd booster yesterday, that's for sure.
Feeling crook today, headache all night, flu like aches.
Breezed through the first 3 shots, apparently quite common on the 4th to get crook.
Old 24-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #4616
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Certainly not getting my 2nd booster yesterday, that's for sure.
Feeling crook today, headache all night, flu like aches.
Breezed through the first 3 shots, apparently quite common on the 4th to get crook.
Certainly everyone's reactions are different; my last two shots I had no side effects and with my flu shot which is double dosed for people over 65 I had no reaction at all.
Get well, cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 04:22 PM   #4617
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

Technically the longest night must correspond with the shortest day...

The solstice can be either the 20th, 21st or 22nd.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #4618
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Technically the longest night must correspond with the shortest day...

The solstice can be either the 20th, 21st or 22nd.
Just as well I didn't mention the fork

Old 24-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #4619
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fresh snapper from across the Manukau Bar, my son went out with his boss and workmates to the thousand metre mark looking for Swordfish with no luck, ended up bagging there snapper limit in under one hour.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #4620
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Fresh snapper from across the Manukau Bar, my son went out with his boss and workmates to the thousand metre mark looking for Swordfish with no luck, ended up bagging there snapper limit in under one hour.

F. off we here is SA are banned from catching snapper. As a young one at Pohara (Takaka)motor camp we could row a dinghy out about half a mile 15 minutes later a dozen snapper on board, big flashlight at a marked pine tree, 5 minutes later we would see the bonfire leap into action, by the time we rowed in the embers would be ready, wrap the fish in foil onto embers....best fish ever