Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
SarahN
Starter Motor

Default Question on Falcon Wagon

Hello sorry for bothering you guys, my husband and I are currently shopping for a car. We know the new Falcons are very good and when we recently saw an ad for the $36,990 XR6, we visited our local Ford dealer. We were pretty keen on getting a XR6 wagon, but the dealer told us that they dont make the new model yet, he then told us that he recently read an article about Ford maybe making the new wagon but he said that he hasnt been told anything. We are just wondering, if anyone knows of this article, ive been googling for ages but havn't found anything.

We looked at a Territory, but as we are coming from a Prado, we dont really want to have a 4wd again. The salesman told us that he has had quite a few people asking about a new Falcon wagon, especially a GE (?) version.

Any help or if anyone has inside information would be great. Our current car is fine, so we can wait 6 months or so for a new car but obviously once the new car bug has bitten we would love to have it sooner :-) if they are bringing it out.

Thankyou

SarahN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Sarah

In all honesty it is extremely unlikely that Ford will produce an XR6 or GE falcon wagon, let alone an updated FG series Wagon. The current Wagon that you can buy from Ford is considered a commercial "tool of trade" vehicle and has not been significantly updated since 2002 (unlike the sedans which were updated in 2008).

Your best bet on a performance wagon in all honesty would we a Holden Commodore Sportswagon.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hi Sarah !

How about a 2WD / RWD Territory ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
macstac
FG XR6 TURBO

Didn't Marin Burela mention in a speech recently that an FG wagon has been designed (and built?), but they are unsure as to when or if it will make it to showrooms?
macstac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Sarah

Welcome to the forum.

I word from the wise, don't believe what that Ford Dealer is telling you. There is no current model (FG) wagon and there probably never will be. There has been no XR wagons since the E-series Falcons, so none at all in the noughtys (2000+) and I wouldn't expect one to be reintroduced anytime soon either.

Your Prado comment and not wanting another 4wd caught my attention. If you still value the space and functionality that the Prado provided, and it sounds like you do, but just don't want the compromises that come with a largish 4wd (truck) do yourself a favour and drive a Territory.

It's not just another 4wd ;)

In fact it's incorrect to think of it as a 4wd at all. Being based on a car platform (Falcon) and designed for on-road use as an AWD (or RWD) it is more correctly termed a cross-over and should come as a pleasant surprise after stepping out of your Prado.
Old 29-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
SarahN
Starter Motor

Thanks for your replies! Yeah we have found out that the Falcon wagon is old, but at the moment we dont have our internet working properly at home so we had to go to the dealer to do our research and maybe buy the car there and then.
To be fair to the Ford salesman he seemed really honest, he even half suggested a Holden as well when we were describing what we wanted. As he has had a few queries from people about a new Falcon wagon I kinda suspect he has a kickback arrangement with the local Holden dealer for referalls lol :-)

thanks for the Territory suggestion, ive read really good things about them this morning. Funnily enough my brother-in-law also suggested it as well. I feel we will go back to the Ford guy and take a Territory for a drive though as the reviews have been positive and he has been a good person to deal with.
I guess after the last couple of boring cars weve had, I really feel like something sporty and brightly coloured for a change, but which still needs to be practical, so the reasoning for wanting a Falcon wagon.

Were taking off work this afternoon to go look at the Holden, its not my first choice as I prefer the look and power of the Falcon. Another thing against the Holden is that I have a close friend and also a family member recently buy Holden Sports Wagons so it would seem like we are copying, which I guess is a petty reason not to buy one. They seem to be the new flavour of the month judging by how many there are at my sons school.

Thanks for your help so far!
Old 29-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
ChemicalHorizon

I have to admit they are a nice looking wagon. The Holden that is. First VE iv liked the look of.

The XR driveaway deal is very good though, and if you can spare a little less space (it still has heeaps of room), this would be my choice.
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

an SV6 Sportswagon sounds like it'd fit the bill for you.
Old 29-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahN
Thanks for your replies! Yeah we have found out that the Falcon wagon is old, but at the moment we dont have our internet working properly at home so we had to go to the dealer to do our research and maybe buy the car there and then.
To be fair to the Ford salesman he seemed really honest, he even half suggested a Holden as well when we were describing what we wanted. As he has had a few queries from people about a new Falcon wagon I kinda suspect he has a kickback arrangement with the local Holden dealer for referalls lol :-)

thanks for the Territory suggestion, ive read really good things about them this morning. Funnily enough my brother-in-law also suggested it as well. I feel we will go back to the Ford guy and take a Territory for a drive though as the reviews have been positive and he has been a good person to deal with.
I guess after the last couple of boring cars weve had, I really feel like something sporty and brightly coloured for a change, but which still needs to be practical, so the reasoning for wanting a Falcon wagon.

Were taking off work this afternoon to go look at the Holden, its not my first choice as I prefer the look and power of the Falcon. Another thing against the Holden is that I have a close friend and also a family member recently buy Holden Sports Wagons so it would seem like we are copying, which I guess is a petty reason not to buy one. They seem to be the new flavour of the month judging by how many there are at my sons school.

Thanks for your help so far!
If the Terri isn't to your liking (mind you it actually drives extremely well for an SUV) then you could have a look at the Mondeo Wagon.

Things to keep in mind:
1. The current territory will be upgraded to a new model mid next year (will have an FG interior and will look more like an FG on the outside. But if the current one is nice they will probably have a run out deal closer to the release of the new one.

2. If you do look at the VE make sure the storage space is enough for you as from what i've seen your better off with the XR6 sedan.
Old 29-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
SarahN
Starter Motor

Thanks people for more help,

Yeah I think the Territory looks really stylish and nice, plus it dosnt look like a truck. It was a shame I got my hopes up on having a bright red XR6 as its kind of spoiled me for looking at other cars.

Now I can remember the other Ford, the Mondeo! They didnt have the Mondeo wagon at the Ford place, but the guy showed us a brochure and we just think the engine is too small for what we need. Also I think the engine would have to work really hard and so it would use a lot of petrol. Also my husband dosnt want a car with the engine working the front wheels he would rather have the back wheels getting the power. So the Mondeo got pretty quickly culled for us even though its looks beautiful.

To be honest the XR6 sedan didnt even get considered, our last three cars have been wagons/4wds so were now past the point of no return with our cars as we need the wagon for our dog, camping, our sons' remote controlled model plane compititions, and other things. Ive been pretty up close with my friends Sports Wagon and while its not as big as ideal in the boot, it would still suit us fine I think.
Old 29-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For something sporty, check out the turbo Territory.
As for the Mondeo, if engine power is something you're taking in to the equation, then look at the diesel. They have a ton of torque and will pull like anything from any gear. I've got a Peugeot 307 with a 2.0L turbo diesel engine and I love it. It has nearly the same torque figures as the base model Falcon with an engine with half the displacement.
Old 29-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Go the Territory!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Things to keep in mind:
1. The current territory will be upgraded to a new model mid next year....
I don't think so....

I'm told by my Ford contacts it'll be later than that...
Old 29-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So your saying it'll only be an engine upgrade? They were saying 2010 in 06.
Old 29-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #15
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So your saying it'll only be an engine upgrade? They were saying 2010 in 06.
No I didn't say that...
Old 29-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I don't think so....

This man knows his stuff....

Back on topic...welcome to AFF Sarah.

It seems like you have a pretty good idea of what capabilities you want from the vehicle.

1. wagon/suv style vehicle because of space. So not a sedan.
2. RWD (gotta love it LOL!)
3. Bit of poke from the engine
4. Something schmick looking

Well i'm you can find something that suits your needs from the great lineup at FoMoCoAus. Do i sound like a salesman??? Oh well what can i say Ford has some great cars LOL.

I would agree with the other posters, forget the Falcon wagon for at least the forseeable future (12months +). The BF model out now is a older fleet style vehicle. An FG version may never come out, and certainly not any time soon. At best Ford will put in a new engine to meet emissions rules in mid 2010 and that's it. 0% chance of an XR wagon sorry.

If you need the space of a wagon style vehicle the Territory is worth a look. Comes with 7 seat capability and RWD (if you want to save some money/fuel in the long run). The RWD only has the 4sp auto but that will be upgraded almost certainly to a 5sp by mid 2010 with new FG engines (well close too). Certainly it is worth driving...the updated model is quite a good looking vehicle to my eyes and still the best drive in the crossover segment bar none. It literally drives like a car.

Sportwagon is not a bad car by any means but the V6 is a bit off the pace and it doesn't really offer all that much room for a wagon style vehicle.

Also take note of the true size of the load areas. Manufacturers quote info on their websites (either SAE or ISO figures) but there is no substitue for up close inspection. Take along possible things you might want to load into it (dont' be shy...just ask the dealer) and see if they fit. For example, the mondeo hatch has a high lift style tailgate that exposes a truly huge load area. You can even fold the seats down. You'd be surprised what you can fit in it. It also comes with a diesel engine (2.0 Turbo diesel) that has more than enough grunt around town. Hell a Falcon Sedan also offers quite a bit of load space....and once again offers folding rear seats.

Might be worth telling us where you intend on driving the car and what kind of load (highway/urban, 3-4 people etc.).

Hope this was of some help.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about the Mondeo in a turbo diesel, that will do everything you want, power, economy and lots of pulling power.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
SarahN
Starter Motor

Thanks for your suggestions, a common theme seems to be that the Mondeo and Territory are great wagons, Fords seem to have good cars nowadays. Although Id already have a new car if my imaginary XR6 wagon existed :-)
Now im going to bore you with my non-expert opinions, lol. I only meant to post to ask a question, now im typing away, these websites are addictive!

With the Mondeo we were told only one engine was available, maybe our Ford guy didnt know at the time. Also we were told its European so we're a bit worried of it being expensive to fix out of warranty and its not rear wheel powered. Also ideally we'd prefer to support Aussie manufacturing if possible.

We drove two Sportwagons and I liked them a lot, I felt 5 years younger behind the wheel. After stepping out of the Holden back into the Prado, I just couldnt believe ive been driving that lard **** truck for so long. I felt that the V6 Holden was good, but the V8 is a lot better, its a lot smoother and faster but probably a bit of overkill for a young mum with two boys. There is a new model coming out next month with a new engine which makes things more complicated, although it does mean they are doing great deals at the moment.

You are all right about the Holden having a small load boot. I took a taxi this morning which was a Falcon wagon, and the Ford is a lot bigger. I wish there was a sporty wagon the size of the Falcon!

I said we'd look at the Territory, so we'l probably go back tonight to the Ford guy. As much as I love looking at cars I always feel a bit uncomfortable going to dealers so il have to psyche myself up for us to go have a look, although in the end its always worth shopping around!
Old 30-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The Mondeo Wagon is coming with a diesel engine, either now or very soon. Maybe that's why the salesman didn't (but should) know?

Anyway, we've test driven a Terri (which handle exceptionally well and so much space/versatility) and it will (or an FG XR6T) be our next car.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SS Sportswagon.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #21
TP351
Lurker

Do yourself a favour and drive both the std I6 and the Turbo Territory, you will be suitably impressed! The only catch is that the Turbo Territory is only available in Ghia form now, but it does have heaps of equipment standard.
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
myxr6
Banned

Buy a wagon , then head off to FTG for a nice build.A nice F6 wagon or maybe a GT wagon , something different.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #23
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Mondeo wagon is only available with a 2.3L petrol. No diesel at this stage. Did you enquire about the Mondeo wagon? If so, this is why the salesman told you there was only 1 motor available.

Mondeo hatch is available in 2.3L and 2.5L turbo petrol as well as 2.0L diesel.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
Buy a wagon , then head off to FTG for a nice build.A nice F6 wagon or maybe a GT wagon , something different.
You mean the turbo F6 wagon or maybe the 5lt AU :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=13&pp=25

Which makes me think if your interested Sarah I believe FTG still have there V8 territory for sale (7 seater)..........Bet the other mum don't have one of those
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11262976

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Buy a Demo or Low K BFII(I) Wagon, put an XR front on it, nice 17" or 18"s and drop it an inch or two. You would be finished with $30k and they look mint, a bloke near my place has a done this to a black one and it looks hot, and parts are easily available through site sponcers. Plus you would have something different still with warranty!

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I don't think so....

You're right, it will get the new engines next year but thats probably about it. Sheetmetal changes will come a bit later. Probably when the diesel is introduced.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #27
TERRY TORRY

: : Hi SarahN, I own a 2006 RWD Ford Territory 5 seater and have had it for 2 years. I've towed a 17"6" Coromal Pop top and a 19'6" Crusader Full van. I love the car for towing, for use around town and on the open road. It is beaut to drive, ride in, et all. My wife who is not as young as you also loves it. We had a 2004 Fairmont before and the Terry leaves it for dead on comfort, room, access into and out of, and all. Actually we have a son-in-law that has a Prado and he is always at the wheel of the Terry when he can. What does that say? If you want something sporty, pick a nice colour Terry you like and check out a Turbo Ghia. I haven't driven a turbo but they seem a good car. I know the '06 TS is a beauty. I have read that the Commodore has electrical problems. I'm not knocking Holden as we have had a few in our day. Choose carefully and we hope you find and are happy with your choice. Regards, Glen. : :
TERRY TORRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
SarahN
Starter Motor

Thanks for all of your suggestions, drove the Territory on Thursday, and loved it. great car, we drove a AWD TX and thought it was a great family car. Also they were doing good deals on them too. My husband thought it was great as well - not that I care what he thinks :-). We didnt drive a Turbo one as it was way out of our price range and the car had to be new for tax reasons. In the end I felt I wanted something a bit more sporty, maybe they should bring out a Xr6 Territory!

We went back to the Holden dealer and asked them what they could do on price telling them we were pretty keen on the Territory. You are all going to hate us but we ended up signing up for a bright red model year 2010 SV6 Sportwagon with heavy duty tow pack and rear view camera. More importantly the changeover price on the Prado was outstanding, and in the end money is a very important factor in all this.

As it will be a new model it has the new engine and updated looks. It might seem funny to buy a car which isnt even available yet but we were very happy with the current model SV6 we drove so we are assuming it can only get better when the new model is out -fingers crossed. And it adds to the suprise to see what they will change to update the model. We should be getting it late September.

we are just ecstatic on the purchase, already planning trips up the coast to visit my parents, and also booking a weekend away to the Hunter. My last three cars have been a Nissan Patrol, Mazda MPV and a Toyota Prado. As I have been driving these buses since I was 21, I am looking forward to getting a station wagon which is sporty in comparison. I have never been this excited over a car, just love them!

Thanks for your help, I never even bothered to look for Holden forums. Its funny that an ad for a falcon on TV would lead us to sign for a Holden, but I think ultimately we were pretty set on getting a sporty station wagon, which just goes to show how good the Territory is that it was such a contender for us. Thanks and Safe driving!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #29
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Congratulations on your purchase!!!

The holden forum is www.ls1.com.au

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post