Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NSW and ACT Focii owners - Track Day

Would any NSW or ACT Focii owners be interested in a Private Track day at Marulan Driver Training Centre (about halfway between Syd and Canberra)

proposed dates are either sat feb 26 or sat march 5.

The XR5 and XR4 forums have provided about 21 of the minimum 25 starters i would like to make this worthwile. cost with 25 will be $120pp (extra for licence or helmet hire requirements)

if you are interested, let me know asap please. i can give you more details if you want but i really need to get 4 or 5 more people. will be posting in other small ford sections too.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
DeKa

I've been there in my Focus Zetec and had a great time. Make sure you take an instructor in the car with you a couple of times - they are very helpful and really improve your driving.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did the instructor cost any more or is it a courtesy to those who are new??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Whats involved in a track day, and how long does it go for?
Sounds interesting
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As you already know Broady im in, how many other focus guys are in???
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

casabonka, we are going to hire the track for a private day. we will get to run from 9am till 4pm. they will split us into groups of up to 6 cars based on experience. you do 10min sessions on the track which would equate to about 12-15 laps each time. you'll get at least 80min of track time during the day, more if others take a break and you want to run. we will have an instructor who can advise you in-car or in pit lane. he will be available to us all day. we will have an ambulance all day. cost will be somewhere between $125 and $140 plus licence and helmet hire (if needed?) so you can add $50 to that if you need them.

this is a great 1st timers track, not high speed but very testing. it will test your steering ability for sure. neale has been 3 times and had a ball. any questions you might have, ask him or check out the facilities website www.mdtc.com.au

if you are interested, could you let me know either in here or by PM?? you will be most welcome and we will have a number of first timers (me included!)

Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Put me down for it,

how much is deposit and what are the details.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #8
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At this stage we have 27 plus 4 maybes.

Details for the day will be as follows:

Date: Saturday 26th February 2011

Where: Marulan Driver Training Centre, Marulan NSW. Website www.mdtc.com.au

Cost: Private day = $3850 (includes instructor plus ambulance)
Split between 27 people this amounts to $142pp. (cheaper with more people) Drivers can share vehicles.

Licence: Any CAMS Licence is Ok. Otherwise you must purchase a MDTC licence for $30 which is good for 12months.

Equipment: Must have an Aus Standard Helmet. Helmets are available to hire for $20 (plus $50 refundablecash deposit)
Long sleeves and Long pants must be worn along with closed in shoes.

Instructor: We will have an instructor on hand to advise those who need help. He can do so in-car or from the pit-lane, whichever you chose. He will be there for the entire day.

Ambulance: We will be taking the option of having an ambulance at the track all day. The $600 which is included in the costs mentioned above, will be approx. $20pp (well worth it imho)

Sessions: 10min sessions with max. of 6 cars on the track at any time. No overtaking on any part of the circuit other than the main straight. This is good for inexperienced drivers as they will not have to be checking their mirrors the whole time. The facility will try to match drivers of similar ability in the groups. You can swap groups throughout the day if your initial group is unsuitable.

Services: There is a BP service centre 7km from the facility. There are canteen facilities and a coffee shop on site serving hot and cold food/beverages.

Timeline: Gates open at 8am, drivers must sign in when they arrive.
8:45am COMPULSORY driver briefing and track walk.
9am First session starts
4pm Track is closed.

As has been mentioned a few times (apologies to those just seeing this), the money will need to be paid upfront and unfortunately, will be non-refundable once the price is set. The reason for this is that if you pull out at the last minute, others will be left to cover the increased cost and that is not fair to expect them to do so. Anyone not comfortable with that should consider carefully what they want to do. Once I have the money, I will make the booking and pay the 25% deposit. The balance gets paid on the day. Anyone concerened about this method is welcome to have my contact details. Also, as mentioned, those requiring licence and or helmet hire will need to bring money on the day to cater for this. (amounts listed above)

Any questions, please just ask.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like Broady said, ive been a few times im my Focus Zetec & had a ball. Heres a vid from the last track day in the wet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNGrxE9lShw

& here is another showing a bit of the track from isnowboard from the XR5 forum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnNI_ygfap0
Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Turbodiesel
Torquer

This does sound interesting, I've never driven on a track before and have always wanted to.

Question, if you have a stack would insurance cover it since it isn't on the road?
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that i can't answer. i will say this though. i asked about run off areas as in their video on the website it looks like they are small. they told me the run off areas are deceptive. it's not a high speed venue and the run offs are uphill. in the 2 years (i think?) they have been operating, they have only had one accident there and the guy admitted it was his own stupid fault. young guy in a skyline tried to drift onto the main straight, got too much sideways, overcorrected and once the grip came on, lost control and rolled it. he wasn't insured at all. perhaps you could say you were at a driver training centre rather than on a track day? we will have a paid instructor at our disposal all day. i suggest you take a look at neil's video he posted. you'll see just how safe it is even in the wet. my suggestion, drive within your limits. take a while to learn the track before you try to floor it. you will get plenty of track time, trust me...

Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
This does sound interesting, I've never driven on a track before and have always wanted to.

Question, if you have a stack would insurance cover it since it isn't on the road?
You need to check with your insurer, but most companies will say no way hosé
Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I did read somewhere (epic fail thread IIRC) of the bloke who totalled his near new HSV at a track day...

Im so bloody tempted - gotta see if the Xmas budget can allow
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was talking to Garry Wilmington who owns the place at the last track day. He said it was a commodore that got written off. He was told at the walk around the track not to spin the wheels on the straight because of the dip in it.He was also driving badly & was going to get the black flag but didnt get to the line before he fish tailed up the straight, hit the dip & lost control.

Lesson out of this, listen to what they say & dont be an idiot. Then you wont have a problem.

This is the only car that has crashed there.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Mondo, I think you've convinced me. You've obviously done your research, and I'm keen see how my oiler goes on the track.

Count me in!

Would be good to know where everyone is travelling from so we can arrive in convoys
Old 11-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will becomming from Bathurst, so if anyone else is comming from that direction we can join up.

In the past a fairly central meeting point for most people has been Uncle Theos Diner/truckstop at the crossroads in liverpool, then you can just jump on the F5.

Cant wait to see how the oiler goes turbodiesel, I think this may be the one to watch!!! I have herd that in the Phillippine touring car championship a TDCi focus had 2 race victories on its first outing!! Not bad going.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Haha well fancy that, it must have been an uphill endurance race!

I'm coming from Wollongong if anyone else is from somewhere in the Illawarra.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #18
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers turbo diesel, i'll add you to the list. just about to get onto a few that have yet to confirm their interest. we're not far off moving ahead with this. should be sorted by the end of the week.

i will be heading up from wollongong too and i think at least one other car. will popst you details when things move forward.

Old 13-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #19
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

update, 20 confirmed, 12 pending... all have been PM'd on the various forums.

a breakdown of participants for you:

XR4 forum - 3 members confirmed + 3 guests confirmed, 1 member pending + 2 guests pending
XR5 turbo - 9 members confirmed + 1 guest confirmed, 5 members pending + 3 guests pending
XR5 OC - nil (although some XR5turbs members are on both forums)
AFF - 4 members confirmed, 1 member pending.

Types of Cars - XR5 Focus, XR5 Mondeo, XR4 Fiesta, RS Focus, Focus Zetec, Mondeo TDCi, Focus TDCi, VE SS Ute, MkV Golf TDi, Pulsar SSS turbo, Gallant GSR.

hoping the rest will get in touch in the next day or so and we can move ahead!!

Old 14-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Well let me know.. Car goes into Autotech Engineering to get the tune for the Supercharger on Monday.

8-9 Pound boost on a 10.2-1 2.0ltr engine should = 120-130 FWKW im hoping.

boyah.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dude i've got fingers and toes crossed... i hope those who hae confirmed understand why i can't just go ahead without enough confirmations. $3k is a big outlay...

sounds like you're building a little weapon there??!!

Old 21-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so we are still only at 22 confirmed. I am going on a week's holiday tomorrow so it is unlikely i can tell you any more till next week. this is getting frustrating. those who are yet to confirm have been PM'd twice on the various forums as well as many updates here. maybe i should have asked for mobile phone numbers with the EOI??

anyway, here is the list. Please, if you are on here as a maybe, can you let me know your intentions??

From the XR4 forum:

will85 has confirmed
ace has confirmed + 1 (bubz) + 1 mate (SS ute) + 1 mate (Golf)
pulsar7 has confirmed + 1 mate (pulsar sss turbo)

pulsar7's mate (maybe)

From XR5turbo forum:

mondo_broady has confirmed
rowlo has confirmed
bruce_ has confirmed + 1 (ania)
iSnowboard has confirmed
micx has confirmed
daisy has confirmed
loxmyf has confirmed
neale has confirmed

nikosthegreat + 2 (maybe)
tj-zetec + 1 (maybe)
sean (maybe)

From the Aussie Ford forums:

andrew67 has confirmed
photn has confirmed
talldude has confirmed
turbodeisel has confirmed
fast eddie has confirmed (wheel chair)
wpn xr6t

casabonka ( +1 mazda3 maybe)

Old 22-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #23
Talldude

keep up the good work man!

Do you want peoples mobile numbers to confirm?
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #24
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i will mate, when i get home from holidays as i think we have the 25 minimum now. will need to confirm the date again to make sure it is still available...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #25
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, PM's have been sent to all confirmed members regarding payment details etc... Any other members who are interested are welcome to come along. Please PM me with your interest asap...

Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #26
Talldude

Hey

I didn't get a PM.

cheers
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #27
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldude
Hey

I didn't get a PM.

cheers
hi, just checked my sent messages, yours was sent at 6:57pm 3/1/11... have another look mate, if it's not there, i'll re-send or better still, PM me your email address...

Old 09-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #28
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok guys, so far i have only had one person out of 24 come through with this. (there are 4 pending clear funds) i can't lock in the date till i get the cash, so need you to get onto this if you haven't already asap!!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #29
Talldude

Will put money in on friday or saturday have to wait till i get paid, sorry for the delay.

cheers
Old 10-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi mate that would be great. btw... i wasn't having a go at anyone, just wanted it to be known can't book till it's all in, that's all.