Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Auto parts suppliers

I hardly deal with the likes of repco, auto one or super cheap and the like, but recently bought a new old car, so decided to go through the car and proceeded to the local rep for some new bits and pieces. The experience has left me dumbfounded as to why people with no idea about cars work in a car parts store.

the guy behind the counter (early 50s) was so clueless..

I asked for a set of points after 10 minutes he gave me a coil, when i explained too him that it was a coil and I wanted a set of points, he asked if I need 6 points for the car.....

I then asked for a pair of shocks....sorry computer only shows 1 in stock we can get another on Monday. Umm they come in pairs don't they? Yes but computer shows only one. Can I see it please? 10 minutes later produces box with two shocks in it...

Needed new heater hose spigot to screw into the engine block, looks in computer for 10 minutes...no sorry we don't have that....I asked do you have brass fittings? Yes over there he says....find what I need, they had 5 hanging on the wall.

I'd hate to be a mechanic having to deal with these dudes daily...what a headache.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Auto parts suppliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I hardly deal with the likes of repco, auto one or super cheap and the like, but recently bought a new old car, so decided to go through the car and proceeded to the local rep for some new bits and pieces. The experience has left me dumbfounded as to why people with no idea about cars work in a car parts store.

I asked for a set of points after 10 minutes he gave me a coil, when i explained too him that it was a coil and I wanted a set of points, he asked if I need 6 points for the car.....

I then asked for a pair of shocks....sorry computer only shows 1 in stock we can get another on Monday. Umm they come in pairs don't they? Yes but computer shows only one. Can I see it please? 10 minutes later produces box with two shocks in it...

Needed new heater hose spigot to screw into the engine block, looks in computer for 10 minutes...no sorry we don't have that....I asked do you have brass fittings? Yes over there he says....find what I need, they had 5 hanging on the wall.

I'd hate to be a mechanic having to deal with these dudes daily...what a headache.
And yet some of them are so good, I have been dealing with the same bloke for 25 years who mainly sells to the trade. When I go there he almost knows what I need before I have a chance to open my mouth.
Old 24-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What you do to save yourself the headache is look through manufacturers catalogues for the part numbers you need and go in saying I need X of these part numbers, price and availability please good sir!

The best parts guys are the long termers and ex tradies, our local Holden dealership parts guy just come off the tools after 25 years and is now doing parts, if you got a Holden you need parts for he knows everything there is to know.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

My local Repco fellows know more than me, which when I think about it doesn't mean much.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

To be honest it would be rare occasion to have a salesperson who is not mechanically minded working at stores like Repco Bursons etc, I would expect Super Cheap type stores would fit into the category you mentioned.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
chizzy86

I dont really go much into Super Cheap type places any more because I can just buy it all online cheaper. Why pay $23 for a Ryco filter in SCA when I can buy a Bosch one online for $9.95 (and if you buy bulk you get free postage).
chizzy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What you do to save yourself the headache is look through manufacturers catalogues for the part numbers you need and go in saying I need X of these part numbers, price and availability please good sir!

The best parts guys are the long termers and ex tradies, our local Holden dealership parts guy just come off the tools after 25 years and is now doing parts, if you got a Holden you need parts for he knows everything there is to know.
Another of my suppliers, all the people working the sales desk and counters, two are ex tradies and the rest have been working there for 30+ years.

They're in serious crapola when the oldies start retiring or dropping off the perch, there is only one who is in his 20s the rest are in their late 50s and 60s.

They're all going to go out within a small timeframe I reckon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Yep it is hard work . I got some BA brake hoses from Bursons . I wanted some new copper washers for the Banjo fittings . OMG they had no idea . So they sell brake hoses , what does everyone use the old copper washers ?
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
Yep it is hard work . I got some BA brake hoses from Bursons . I wanted some new copper washers for the Banjo fittings . OMG they had no idea . So they sell brake hoses , what does everyone use the old copper washers ?
Re anneal the old ones if they are still in good condition.
Old 24-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #10
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Its like any business...the oldies know more than the youngies.
You cant know it all on your first day.

My pet hate at Ford is being asked what is the VIN number?
I say how do I know which of my 9 Falcons will need the part?
I usually go around the counter and point to the bit on the schematic nowdays.

I to am amazed that people will actually buy one or 3 spark plugs when the engine has 6 of them.

Manufacturers sometimes have weird ideas on what a "set" of something is...sometimes its two sometimes its one in packet.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #11
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you go onto the Supercheap site and do a parts search, you can enter your vehicle details and all the parts available will come, they have a fairly good stock, and if your a member and the things come up on special at a later date they credit the difference to you. I was in there today and bought Penrite Synthetic for both mine & the wife's car 30% off saved about $45, I also buy off ebay but find it's a lot of stuffing around if they send the wrong part, but for special parts stick to genuine.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

I've been in the Automotive parts business for the last 7 years, starting at a dealer, changing to Repco for just shy of 4 years and now back at the dealer I started with.

In that time, out of the 12 people I've worked alongside, theres been:
1 mechanic
1 tyre fitter
1 genuine car enthusiast (regularly drove a LC torana and HT monaro to work)
1 chef (yes, a chef)
1 security guard
the other seven have all been best described as retail workers, with the ability to scan barcodes, answer phone calls and with sufficient prompting, eventually find the right part.

of those twelve, I'd only happily work with two of them again

I've found most who try to get jobs in the industry do so simply to collect a paycheque, and have little or no knowledge, and even less desire to learn.

The best ones I've worked with have either been on tools or are capable of doing so, but have realised that theres cleaner and easier ways to make a living.

There is nothing more frustrating than having to carry co-workers who arent interested in learning their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Its like any business...the oldies know more than the youngies.
You cant know it all on your first day.
Age is irrelevant, unlike wanting to learn.
Quote:
My pet hate at Ford is being asked what is the VIN number?
You've never had a customer ask for an oil filter for their "SR5 Dual cab, 4wd diesel hilux, theyre all the same mate"
Considering there are often running changes in the model, as well as differences in trim levels, knowing the VIN is critical.
When I represented Suzuki, I wouldnt bother opening the catalogue unless the customer had the VIN, sooooo many ways it can bite you on the ***, ie: late 80's Suzuki Sierra can have any of 4-5 different radiator support panels depending on where it was made, with some being only the radiator support panel, some being the entire front clip!
VZ Adventras have 2 different front bumpers depending on build date, yes, 2 totally different front bumpers in the same model run....
KUN26 Hiluxes have 3 distinctly different front brake pads depending on rotor size, ABS, stability control, etc.....
Quote:
I say how do I know which of my 9 Falcons will need the part?
I usually go around the counter and point to the bit on the schematic nowdays.
1: If you need a part for one of your 9 Falcons, I hope you know which one before you fit that nice shiny new part to the WRONG CAR
2: How can the person selling you the part be certain its going to fit the vehicle you need it for

Obviously if its something as generic as an oil filter for a pre-2003 falcon......
Quote:
I to am amazed that people will actually buy one or 3 spark plugs when the engine has 6 of them.
What about Mitsubishi V6's where you need to remove the intake manifold, so one bank has 3 platinum plugs so you only have to change them every 100,000km or so?
As for why Repco, supercheap, etc sell plugs individually and not in sets of 4, 6, etc, ho can you be certain that the spark plugs for your vehicle are unique to that vehicle? one spark plug can fit several engines, why should a person with a 6cyl engine have to buy 2 packs of 4 plugs just because the most common application for thier spark plug is either a 4 cylinder or v8?
Old 24-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #13
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Re anneal the old ones if they are still in good condition.
I have done that plenty times before
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Scrape them on the concrete. Job done.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
To be honest it would be rare occasion to have a salesperson who is not mechanically minded working at stores like Repco Bursons etc, I would expect Super Cheap type stores would fit into the category you mentioned.
Maybe its a weekend thing.....I get the part timers?

The real parts dudes only work on weekdays?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #16
.:4:.
Kicking back

I don't at all envy the managers at wholesalers. In my trade (electrical), which when it comes to parts, is probably not to different to automotive, I put faith in my parts interpretor to get me the bits I need delivered when I need them. Often enough it doesn't happen. Sometimes they are late due to traffic or other excusable reasons which are unavoidable, but it's when you get sent out the wrong parts because the person who is on the desk downstairs decides to send out 2 ill fitting parts instead of making the decision of making the phone call of wait a day for the correct part so I don't look like a fool instead of inconveniencing companies due to someone who cut their teeth at jb hi fi
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Maybe its a weekend thing.....I get the part timers?

The real parts dudes only work on weekdays?
Could have have been an co-office worker standing in for some one being away sick, on leave or what ever, as I said not often you get these types.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Its not just the employee's, some of the management are just as clueless.

Back in 04 i was recovering from a work place accident on workcover and was sent to a retail parts shop to help me get back to work.
At the interview i was asked to find a part number for an XF Fairmont dashmat.
I asked did they want Fairmont or Ghia as they are different.
No they arent, are you sure you know about cars was the reply.
Naturally i replied with Ghia's have a different dash compared to Fairmonts so the part numbers would be different.
No, i want the part number for an XF Fairmont not an XF Fairlane.
But theres no such thing as an XF Fairlane, its a ZL and has the same dash as an XF Ghia which is different to an XF Fairmont.
Then i proved it.
I got the gig after being told i know more than the owner did.

Moving forward, last month i went looking for a filter and oil for the lads VE2.
Whilst looking up the part number in the book i was approached by an assistant who asked what i was looking for.
I told him i had found the filter but could he explain the difference between the standard Ryco and the fancy Platinum version.
He started going on about his 03 VY and how he runs this filter with this oil.
I was standing there dumbfounded as his boat anchor powered 3.8l Ecotec has nothing in common with the 3.0l SIDI in the lads VE other than having six cylinders. I grabbed the standard Ryco and went about my business thanking him for his insight.
Went in there on Friday for some oil and filter for the Wifes Outlander and from the next isle i hear the same guy telling someone about what he uses in his 03 VY.
Had a chuckle, then thought if ever i waste money on a VY i know who to consult for the right advice.

I once frequented a place called Parts Boys at Elizabeth South but they closed up shop a few years ago. Pete, the fella i always dealt with moved on to Bursons at Salisbury. Its a lot firther away and it meant i had to pass 2 Supercheaps, an Autobahn, a Sprints and a Motormate to go there but i felt it worthwhile as Pete knows his stuff.
Rolled in, got the manager at the desk, he tried to rip me off blind.
Pete comes wandering around and says g'day and we talk for a few minutes about days gone by, the manager watches on.
He commented that i'd travelled a long way for what i was after, i said its because youre a legend in the game, i then told him that unfortunately the bloke he works for is a thief who just tried to rip me off and i wouldnt be bringing my business there again.
Pete turns to him and calmly explains that he just burnt one of the best customers he would ever see come through the door.

Last edited by BENT_8; 25-09-2016 at 03:27 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

3.8 ecotec is a top motor....
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
3.8 ecotec is a top motor....
Lol...yes, if keeping your boat over a whiting hole is considered top.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #21
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

They're not that bad. I foolishly forgot to reconnect the thermo fans when replacing a radiator in my old VS. I got stuck in traffic - it overheated the 3.8 ecotech to the point that the coolant was boiling and the temp needle was off the gauge. I thought surely it must have seized but nope, I let it cool down before driving home 200km... and never had any problems with it.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #22
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I've been in the Automotive parts business for the last 7 years, starting at a dealer, changing to Repco for just shy of 4 years and now back at the dealer I started with.

In that time, out of the 12 people I've worked alongside, theres been:
1 mechanic
1 tyre fitter
1 genuine car enthusiast (regularly drove a LC torana and HT monaro to work)
1 chef (yes, a chef)
1 security guard
the other seven have all been best described as retail workers, with the ability to scan barcodes, answer phone calls and with sufficient prompting, eventually find the right part.

of those twelve, I'd only happily work with two of them again

I've found most who try to get jobs in the industry do so simply to collect a paycheque, and have little or no knowledge, and even less desire to learn.

The best ones I've worked with have either been on tools or are capable of doing so, but have realised that theres cleaner and easier ways to make a living.

There is nothing more frustrating than having to carry co-workers who arent interested in learning their jobs.

Age is irrelevant, unlike wanting to learn.

You've never had a customer ask for an oil filter for their "SR5 Dual cab, 4wd diesel hilux, theyre all the same mate"
Considering there are often running changes in the model, as well as differences in trim levels, knowing the VIN is critical.
When I represented Suzuki, I wouldnt bother opening the catalogue unless the customer had the VIN, sooooo many ways it can bite you on the ***, ie: late 80's Suzuki Sierra can have any of 4-5 different radiator support panels depending on where it was made, with some being only the radiator support panel, some being the entire front clip!
VZ Adventras have 2 different front bumpers depending on build date, yes, 2 totally different front bumpers in the same model run....
KUN26 Hiluxes have 3 distinctly different front brake pads depending on rotor size, ABS, stability control, etc.....

1: If you need a part for one of your 9 Falcons, I hope you know which one before you fit that nice shiny new part to the WRONG CAR
2: How can the person selling you the part be certain its going to fit the vehicle you need it for

Obviously if its something as generic as an oil filter for a pre-2003 falcon......

What about Mitsubishi V6's where you need to remove the intake manifold, so one bank has 3 platinum plugs so you only have to change them every 100,000km or so?
As for why Repco, supercheap, etc sell plugs individually and not in sets of 4, 6, etc, ho can you be certain that the spark plugs for your vehicle are unique to that vehicle? one spark plug can fit several engines, why should a person with a 6cyl engine have to buy 2 packs of 4 plugs just because the most common application for thier spark plug is either a 4 cylinder or v8?

Yes it is generic parts I order most of the time...if it is a specific part and I dont know for sure I will ask (and have the VIN)...and with 9 Falcons and having had every model of them for 30 years any Ford parts guy questioning me better be 100% sure...

Why would I fit the wrong part to my car?

Why should I who wants 6 plugs not be able to get them because they only have 3 left?

How do you know what customers have asked me for or where I have worked?

No company or parts person is perfect we are just expressing our frustrations here....from both sides of the fence.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

9 years doing parts including a short stint at a Ford dealer and then across the road at an Autobarn.

Some thoughts, granted I dont do it anymore but most of the principles do apply to lots of industries.

1) Just because you are older than me does not mean I have no idea. I have saved many a moron from buying the wrong thing by sticking to my guns and relying on the facts, as opposed to listening to "mate I was doing this before you were even born" (well moron why are you asking me for the part).

2) They are not "all the same". There is not a single part available that is universally compatible with every make and model ever made.

3) Trade price applies to - now stick with me - people in the trade. Not likely to give it to you because you lean over the counter and say "trade price mate". Show me your trade card I'll give it to you every day of the week, show me your wallet full of 50's and you ain't getting it.

4) Just like any industry there is good and bad, I have worked with people who were trainers for Autobarn who really should have found another job, I have worked with people who have never done parts before and picked it up and ran with it. You can not/should not judge somebody by the logo on the wall of the shop, going by that logic Ford dealer staff are some of the worst parts people I have ever seen.

5) Take about 65% off the story of how you amazingly fitted a part that wasnt made for your Magna or Commodore and it worked and ran and it was because your car is a one off never documented factory built special soper dooper spaceship. Crap is still crap no matter how much you embellish it.
Old 26-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #24
Pis-ton broke
Banned

in my inexperience there are sometimes big price differences and quality, so, unit i have my parts guy, i get on the phone and ring around. ive done this many times and its interesting to see whos got what and at what price. don,t go driving around ,let your fingers do the walking and use the yellow pages.
well i have my parts guy now, and he is great, i says to my friends, go an see nick at so and so. cause hes really built his busniess up and stocks all sorts. and good to talk to as well.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Had a young lad come in with his mum looking for a birthday present one day, the store Manager dealt with them but as it was only a small store i overheard the conversation.
Turns out he was looking for a scale model of the current Marcos Ambrose Pirtek racer.
After hunting through the stock the Manager says im sorry we dont have that car but can order it.
The young fella didnt want to wait for it so they said thanks and walked off.

I approached the Manager and asked her what they were after, she said the Ambrose car with #1.
I said can i take a 5 minute break and took off after them into the mall.
I approached them and asked what they were after, the lad said Ambrose was his idol and he desperately wanted the Ambrose car.
I said, you do realise his drought breaking championship was in the #4 Pirtek car dont you, its far more important from a collectors point of view than the #1 car as he hadnt won the championship in #1 yet, this was mid 04.
I said i've got the #4 out the back as i had set it aside for myself.
They returned to the store and bought it.
The Manager was in disbelief and then remarked that i'd put that aside for myself, i said all good, ill just take the Ambrose #4 and Ingall #9 team cars in the smaller scale and to this day they sit beside me on the display cabinet.

Its the little things that make a difference.
5 users like this post: