Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

BF Futura vs VE Berlina thread merged into the "omni VE Thread"

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #32
Free347

Well... the VE, VF, VG and VH were all classic Valiants... I guess we'll eventually get to an XY Commodore.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Was this about me starting the VE Freshness thread? :Reverend:
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #34
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

May I point out this thread???? About time....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #35
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
VE=Owned in my opinion. I just cant justify $1b worth of work done to this car.
A lot of it has gone into engineering work that you can't see. For example, Holden crash tested 79 prototypes at a cost of $650,000 each.
There is so much more involved in developing a vehicle than what meets the eye.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
A lot of it has gone into engineering work that you can't see. For example, Holden crash tested 79 prototypes at a cost of $650,000 each.
There is so much more involved in developing a vehicle than what meets the eye.
Thats right they had three attempts getting that battery in the front of the car
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #37
Garth
Starter Motor

Default VE vs BF road test results

Interesting take but no surprises. http://carsguide.news.com.au/
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #38
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default First BF Vs VE roadtest : Carsguide

surprises..check the fuel economy figures.....even the Camry should be....
Actually I'm very surprised as the result was described as very close.
And if these fuel figures can be repeated through the range (and the A6 will only widen the gap) it gives Ford a powerful marketing tool it never had before.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #39
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

$1 Billion Dollar Investment just to pip the Futura at the finish line...priceless
Old 25-08-2006, 03:43 AM   #40
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

To be honest when you read it from the start you know it's got the upper hand they even gave some praise to the alloytech so you know your in trouble.
And the place where the Futura matches it is it's upgraded gear from the AU to the BA into BF.
But all said and done i don't think it was one of the greatest test done and it should have been XT Omega.
Old 25-08-2006, 03:57 AM   #41
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

WWAANNKKEERRR sorry wrong thread

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #42
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

"Billion Dollar Baby" The inside story of the VE

Channel 9 Saturday 26 August at 4pm
Old 25-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #43
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People need to deal with the fact that Holden do better than ford and Toyota out sell everyone. Too many VE threads. A lot people have complained about this being a ford forum and stop posting pics of your holdens, yet they are happy to start multiple threads on holdens. Start killing those VE threads.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #44
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
People need to deal with the fact that Holden do better than ford and Toyota out sell everyone. Too many VE threads. A lot people have complained about this being a ford forum and stop posting pics of your holdens, yet they are happy to start multiple threads on holdens. Start killing those VE threads.
The VE is a big deal...and the only way to learn about the enemy is to sleep with them, so to speak. At least these threads give us info on a car that, whilst I'll never buy, certainly know people who will and it is good to be able to combat scurilous propaganda they may choose to direct my way.

The fact people post pictures shows how open-minded us Ford people are - we don't believe the world started and ended with Henry.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #45
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Ive been a commodore lover ever since owning the VX SV6 after that dog of BA I had, but I will admit the **** poor effort they made on the V6 models in the VE.

The 3.6 was never a good idea, holden said the reason why they didn't opt for smaller "fuel saving" version of the alloytech in the VE was because the engine struggles and most of the time isn't more economical, well its the same with the 3.6.

Holden now I think have realised they have ade a mistake and in a recent article they subtley mentioned that while the alloytec is made in 2.8, 3.2 and 3.6 it is also designed to easily be made in a 3.8 and 4.0 versions. So after the reviews I don't think it will be to far fetched to say we'll see a3.8 or 4.0 in the VE II or VF and deffinatly a dirct injection version soon enough.

the 4 speeder id say will be gone by series II if not at least an option of the 5 speeder but its hard to say, i think in eries 2 their will be a complete re-jigg of standard an optional gearboxes accross the range.

Im very happy with the car holden have offered, mind u a few ubtle stylig tweaks wouldn't go astray, but the main thim im annoyed about is what they offer, there is not enough versatility in each model, such as to manual on base model, not 5 or 6 speed option (fair enough they are to expensive as standard, but for those who still want them... mind u by the time yoou have optioned it and a couple of other things you could have bought a calais ayway) no V8 model on omega, just little thing like that.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #46
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Some sour grapes on there...

LS1 thread on Carsguide comparo
colossus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #47
macca_779
Turbine Power

Drove two VE's yesterday an SV6 Auto and an SS Manual.
Saw the SS first it had 20's on it and the Cobra Stripes. Very good looking car. Love the wheels, the 20's almost look to small the wheel arches are that big, very impressive.
Drove the SV6 first with high expectations, for the recalibrated V6 to inspire me abit. It didn't Holden has slightly improved the off idle throttle respose, but this has caused it to be two sensitive once under way.
I kept watching the tacho fluttering around while on the road to the slightest throttle flex.
The Auto aint bad shifts are a bit slow nowhere near as good as a 6 speed falcon.
Handling is pretty good of course i couldn't exactly drive how i wanted with the salesman in the back, but i did some 100k agressive lane swaps and besides the higher than expected body roll it didn't kick up two much of a fuss settling quickly and quite stable.
Performance was a huge let down, i've never been a fan of the alloytech and the VE is just as bad as in the VZ. Its totally gutless im sorry but 195kw to me should be punchier than that boat anhor is, the 5 speed does an ok job of hiding the severe lack of torque but its still not good enough. I drove half the time in sprots mode and the shift arent as agressive as they could be. Holden is claiming better NVH with the VE but with the 18's on the SV6 I tested, its about on par with a Falcon.
All in all not a bad car but not as good as i was expecting, which was something to rival an Audi which is supposadly what Holden was aiming for. Sorry not this time.

The SS on 20's well what can I say it sure does have some visual presence and the sticker kit works for the design too thats for sure. The car I drove also had the optional leather which has good support, more than the SV6 which if i buy one will be a mandatory option.
Sitting in the car i imediately feel at home, the new steering wheel is very functional and i love the rotary controls, pitty the cruise isn't there though. The handbrake is about 10 centermetres two far back and feels cheep and nasty, but i can see why Holden did it for practicality not functionality. The panel fit for the car has come so far its not funny. And the battery in the boot was certainly a requirement as there aint much room in there now with the shorter engine bay. I do like the fact that Holden has installed terminals for the battery in the engine bay, the positive is under a plastic cover and the negative post is just beside the left hand guard.
As for the road test it was the first time i've driven an LS2 so expectations were once again very high, a little too high it ended up. I have no doubt that this car is capable of mid 5 second 100k sprints, but like the LS1 it doesnt feel quick it just is quick. The torque rolls on better than an LS1 thats for sure and the recalibrated throttle is close to spot on unlike the V6, the manual probably helped though. The grip is quite high and confident I absolutley love the 20's I was expecting a harsher ride than what I got and if I bought one the standard 18's would feel like pillows.
The performance, hell its a quick car no doubt but to give an example I smashed the throttle comming out of a roundabout at around 40 and the thing just grips and goes but not like a high cube V8 should. I want head snapping throttle respose like my SS in first gear gives, not the ok I know what you want i'll give you a bit first then you can have all the horsepower in half a second. The LS1 does it and guess what the LS2 does it too. The traction is great and all, but with 270kw on tap you expect to have to drive the car rather than just steer it. I suppose we're living in a new age where car makers produce cars that are safe and then they are fun. I miss when they were developed the other way round. All in all the SS is a quick car that rides bloody well for how well it handles and sticks to the road and I could live with it very easily, but is it a fun car? Im not convinced. O and they still sound crap but they're getting there.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #48
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Ive been a commodore lover ever since owning the VX SV6 after that dog of BA I had, but I will admit the **** poor effort they made on the V6 models in the VE.

The 3.6 was never a good idea, holden said the reason why they didn't opt for smaller "fuel saving" version of the alloytech in the VE was because the engine struggles and most of the time isn't more economical, well its the same with the 3.6.

Holden now I think have realised they have ade a mistake and in a recent article they subtley mentioned that while the alloytec is made in 2.8, 3.2 and 3.6 it is also designed to easily be made in a 3.8 and 4.0 versions. So after the reviews I don't think it will be to far fetched to say we'll see a3.8 or 4.0 in the VE II or VF and deffinatly a dirct injection version soon enough.

the 4 speeder id say will be gone by series II if not at least an option of the 5 speeder but its hard to say, i think in eries 2 their will be a complete re-jigg of standard an optional gearboxes accross the range.

Im very happy with the car holden have offered, mind u a few ubtle stylig tweaks wouldn't go astray, but the main thim im annoyed about is what they offer, there is not enough versatility in each model, such as to manual on base model, not 5 or 6 speed option (fair enough they are to expensive as standard, but for those who still want them... mind u by the time yoou have optioned it and a couple of other things you could have bought a calais ayway) no V8 model on omega, just little thing like that.

Stoney!
They wont offer a manual in base models no way, The 5 speed man is gone never to return, And they are of the belief if you want a manual pay a little more and get the SV6.
And the V8 base just wont happen again it's like the manual on the base pay the extra for a V8 and get the SS. Because once you option the gear for the V8 on the omega it's almost the same price as the SS. They don't want a omega V8 flying past all the sporty V8's they have defeats the purpose of having them. They protect there sporty model and try to keep the goodies to them only.

"Macca_779"
Anychance the T/C ESP was on
Old 26-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #49
macca_779
Turbine Power

It was on but it was nowhere near intervening. The traction of the 20's is quite high. Holden has really picked up there game on mid corner grip. Hell the thing doesn't even lean on the outside front tyre anymore.
Old 26-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default VE can hardly even beat 9 year old platform

Had to laugh after reading yesterdays Herald Sun. They compared the VE Berlina to the BF Futura, and after spending 1 billion dollars Holden have made a car that only just won a comparison to a car based on a 9 year old platform (AU). The final comment was you could really go either way with your purchase and you should go with whoever gives you the better deal. This was performed with the old 4 speed auto, so add the 6 speed auto which will be available for BF II and it would have been even closer with even more superior economy to the Falcon, which used a litre less per 100 in the test. Bodes well for the Orion in 2008.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
To be honest when you read it from the start you know it's got the upper hand they even gave some praise to the alloytech so you know your in trouble.
And the place where the Futura matches it is it's upgraded gear from the AU to the BA into BF.
But all said and done i don't think it was one of the greatest test done and it should have been XT Omega.
How many posts have you done defending the VE. Its really quite incredible. The meantion of the 2 letters has you in like a shot to defend it. Do you spend as much time over at LS1? 4:
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #52
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i was lucky/unlucky enough to go for a spirited drivein an sv6 last night.
My thoughts were.
VERY quite in side the car,
VERY good cornering, much better than BA xr.
Ok Brakes
Extremely smooth gear shifts, almost no jolt between shifts at hard acceleration < not really my thing.. but was interesting.
the dash was a bit too busy, it had all the red l.e.d lights everywhere, and kinda got to me after 5 minutes.
The front windscreen has a very big angle, not sure if that is a good thing or not.. but found it interesting.

i had to walk around the car a few times to really get a good feel of the car.
the wheel base is 150mm longer than the vx apparently, which really makes the front of the car look very short, and awkward.
apparently the guys down at where my mate works had one of there ssv's lowered but the esp cracked the 5hits and they had to revert back to stock springs. < this is going to make things interesting when lowering ve's in the future, or until someone comes up with a new program.

anyway, they are my thoughts on the VE.
overall, its a very nice car.
channel 9 has something on it right now in fact
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #53
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

oh, forgot to add... it was pretty gutless.. doesnt turn the tyres easy either.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #54
macca_779
Turbine Power

Damm right gutless as i said in my earlier post. I dont know where 195kw's goes these days.
Old 26-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #55
Sledgehammer
Banned

My VotE is just delete the VE thread and all others like it, rather talk about Fords......
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #56
hambo_12

Have the wheels mag right here, with the VE special. Ill scan the article in, but im not sure of ffau's policy with that...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #57
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I watched the show on channel 9. I was impressed with the development.

Lets not continue to get caught up in the whole holden/ford thing. We all buy cars with our hearts, not our heads. If we bought cars with our heads we would all drive duel fuel Toyota's, or hybrids. I am a ford lover through and through, but I also acknowledge that sometimes other manufacturers do things well. The new commodore development seems to have been thorough, and I am sure it will be a decent car. That does not mean I am rushing out to buy one. The "bashing" of other manufacturers is of limited value, I love the whole holden/ford thing at Bathurst but we need to keep it in perspective.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #58
jeffb

Have you guys seen these?

the sedan is barable but OMG look at the uses and wagons...

http://www.cgiautomotive.com/cars/ho...omegawagon.htm
http://www.cgiautomotive.com/cars/holden-vessute.htm
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #59
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

i personely love the ve, i think it looks great, and a 5.3 to 100km/h for the ss-v is absolutley amazing
Old 26-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #60
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw the VE at the dealership a few days ago. The build quality is amazing! The interior in the base model omega is great... give credit where credit is due.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post