Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #31
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden to make major announcement to staff today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8 View Post
5 to 7 bucks an hour is a large pay cut.some people will go backwards financially with a pay cut like that,possible lose houses and cars etc.
and if the alternative is a job loss, they'll go even further back financially.

supply and demand is a two-way street. just like when you're in demand your employer has to be prepared to pay you more, when you ARENT in demand but want to keep working, you have to be prepared to for a reduction in your pay/conditions. at least, thats the way its supposed to work, but unions are good at ensuring that never happens...

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/a...money_with_it/

Quote:
Between 1997 and 2010 the company gave pay increases of 63.33 per cent, a median increase of 4.87 per cent a year, hardly appropriate for a struggling business relying on government support… Yet the agreement prohibits the company from increasing, decreasing or rearranging the workforce without union approval… Holden cannot choose the labour hire company; they can only use a business selected by the unions.

GM Holden has agreed to an extraordinary wage deal that will lift the income of 4000 employees by up to 22 per cent by 2014, despite the carmaker seeking a taxpayer-funded assistance package from the Gillard government. In a deal hailed by union leaders as “spectacular”, workers will receive a “guaranteed” 18.3 per cent increase over the next three years, with some workers to receive up to 22.3 per cent… The Australian has obtained full details of the agreement, which the union said contained no productivity trade-offs…
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BOOM... Drops a big bomb......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
Chopped
as in chopped

Take a pay cut OR lose your job.....I'd take a pay cut. Some people don't even get that chance.

There is a reason not much is made here anymore.
Old 18-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8 View Post
5 to 7 bucks an hour is a large pay cut.some people will go backwards financially with a pay cut like that,possible lose houses and cars etc.
Yep damn hard times, but I suppose a 5-7 an hour pay cut is better than redundancy. the true test is if all vote to take cut or not and await the inevitable job cuts.
If they are going to turn on themselves now is the time for the staff need to get smart and point out the fat in the organisation and show how they can be smart and trim the fat without affecting the productivity and quality.

All industries face this, as we have ridden the bubble, it has burst and now a re-setting of value needs to occur, has happened before and will again.

We all need to look deeply at our own industries to see the future, If we don't look we will never be prepared for the next wave 10 to 15 years hence, many of us will be older next time it happens and many of us wont make it through, If we make it this time. I don't think you want to be made redundant in your mid to late 50's

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

take a pay cut and start shooting off resumes, or put your hand up for a redundancy if its on the table.
Old 18-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #36
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
If it is just a paycut to staff, why are they calling in supplier reps?
I would assume supplier contracts will also come under renegotiation?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #37
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The pay cuts are just a temporary measure to keep the business afloat.

Labour is only 14% of the cost of auto manufacturing in Auatralia. It is the other costs that are the killer especially the strength of the AU dollar.

I'm betting Holden have cash flow problems.

I'm also betting that unless the AU dollar drops to 60 c US fast Holden will be making another Annoucement in 12 months.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #38
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Media is reporting Holden have asked workers to reduce costs, no confirmation yet if that includes a reduction in hourly rates. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If the workers agree to a $5 an hour cut, that is around 18% reduction in pay. It will open the floodgates for all other industries to ask the same of their workers.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #39
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post

Labour is only 14% of the cost of auto manufacturing in Auatralia. It is the other costs that are the killer especially the strength of the AU dollar.
Im not arguing this I just want to know how our High dollar adds cost to Holden? I cant see it, can someone explain please.

JP
Old 18-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #40
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
... It will open the floodgates for all other industries to ask the same of their workers.
But isn't that just how the employment market works? Supply v demand.
I can't understand how they (inc the union) could think that digging their heels in will help... If the employer (in this case Holden) cant make the numbers stack up, they'll just pack up shop... everyone loses then.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #41
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Im not arguing this I just want to know how our High dollar adds cost to Holden? I cant see it, can someone explain please.

JP
Our cars become more expensive to purchase for other countries.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 18-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #42
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
But isn't that just how the employment market works? Supply v demand.
I can't understand how they (inc the union) could think that digging their heels in will help... If the employer (in this case Holden) cant make the numbers stack up, they'll just pack up shop... everyone loses then.
Exactly, how many people here are willing to take an 18% pay cut? And it's not like as if $26 an hour is astronomically high in the first place.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #43
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We basically dont sell our cars to other countries... head office doesnt want us competing against their existing foreign-made product.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #44
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

JP
It makes labour and other localised costs uncompetitive against Asian and other countries' cost structures.
Old 18-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #45
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But they are talking about cost of manufacturing, not of selling? I still don't get it
Old 18-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #46
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
But they are talking about cost of manufacturing, not of selling? I still don't get it
It doesn't make sense to manufacture locally, you can make money importing from Asia.
Old 18-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #47
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It restricts your market, when Holden were exporting to the middle east they were producing nearly double the cars they are now. It helps amortallize costs if you are running at full capacity. The irony is that when the dollar is low, we pay a lot more for the steel our cars are made out of.
Old 18-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #48
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It restricts your market, when Holden were exporting to the middle east they were producing nearly double the cars they are now. It helps amortallize costs if you are running at full capacity. The irony is that when the dollar is low, we pay a lot more for the steel our cars are made out of.
It makes exporting uncompetitive, but also makes it difficult to compete against imports from other countries ( especially new plants in Asia ).
Old 18-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It makes labour and other localised costs uncompetitive against Asian and other countries' cost structures.
But a vast number of components are manufactured Overseas and imported, High dollar equals cheaper, then the cost of australian input is not affected by dollar unless their components are also imported and thus cheaper with a high dollar.
Sure understand the increase in cost to OS purchasers of our product but the High dollar is being blamed for input costs being too high, I don't see it

JP
Old 18-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #50
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It restricts your market, when Holden were exporting to the middle east they were producing nearly double the cars they are now.
How many cars were going to the middle east per year?
Old 18-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #51
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Thumbs down Re: Holden to make major announcement to staff today

Quote:
But a vast number of components are manufactured Overseas and imported, High dollar equals cheaper, then the cost of australian input is not affected by dollar unless their components are also imported and thus cheaper with a high dollar.
Sure understand the increase in cost to OS purchasers of our product but the High dollar is being blamed for input costs being too high, I don't see it

JP
Freight, taxes, utilities, labour coats all add up.

The Australian Auto industry was doomed when the free trade agreement was signed with Thailand.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #52
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Yep damn hard times, but I suppose a 5-7 an hour pay cut is better than redundancy. the true test is if all vote to take cut or not and await the inevitable job cuts.
If they are going to turn on themselves now is the time for the staff need to get smart and point out the fat in the organisation and show how they can be smart and trim the fat without affecting the productivity and quality.

All industries face this, as we have ridden the bubble, it has burst and now a re-setting of value needs to occur, has happened before and will again.

We all need to look deeply at our own industries to see the future, If we don't look we will never be prepared for the next wave 10 to 15 years hence, many of us will be older next time it happens and many of us wont make it through, If we make it this time. I don't think you want to be made redundant in your mid to late 50's

JP
True, but will the utility companies and all other costs of living also be revised - me thinks not...

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #53
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Freight, taxes, utilities, labour coats all add up.
But none of them are affected by the high dollar and if they are external to OZ they are cheaper for aussie companies with a high dollar

JP
Old 18-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #54
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
True, but will the utility companies and all other costs of living also be revised - me thinks not...
I wasn't saying it should happen, Just saying it will happen. But as each industry falls due to excessive wages and other costs there is a wave of resetting, over half to full generation costs come down. Im not saying Im happy about it but just trying to be prepared for next time it happens

Be prepared

JP
Old 18-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #55
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
But none of them are affected by the high dollar and if they are external to OZ they are cheaper for aussie companies with a high dollar

JP
They all are. All have an AUS dollar base.

In the end Fixed costs due to the low volume and inability to be competitive overseas with exports has caused the current situation, the AU dollar has a lot to do with that.
Old 18-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #56
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As ive stated in another thread, GMs agenda here is to try and reduce its costs by asking its workers for a cut/business revision etc. but ultimately collecting another handout from scared govts knowing a fall of two majors in a short time frame will have catastrophic social and economic effects.
The second is the 'slow conditioning of the nation', before they too say bye bye -times are tough and Holden is struggling to remain viable etc.

They are playing on Fords departure and using the timing/circumstances to their full advantage.
"Not to say they arent somewhat legit, but also ready to milk the cash cow'.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #57
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
How many cars were going to the middle east per year?
Year by year info is hard to find but in 2005, a record 60,000 units went overseas with the Caprice accounting for 64% of those exports............ WOW!!!!!!

http://www.holden.com.au/corporate/e...ehicle-exports
Old 18-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So, Holden want to force workers on a pay cut or redundancy...

Will they cut down the salaries of their V8 supercar drivers, team investment, and other areas of multi million sporting sponsorship?

I think there is some milking going on...just a month out from a federal election...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #59
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
Housing affordability.

Think about it, what is one thing that everyone needs apart from food and water? A place to live, be it renting or buying. Housing affordability in Australia is ridiculous, and I’ll bet it has been one of the main drivers in wage growth in Australia over the past 10 years – which coincidentally is also the same period in which house and rental prices have skyrocketed. The growth in utilities costs pale in comparison to median house prices and rentals. WA is by far the worst.

Sure it’s probably not the only factor, but I reckon it is one of the main ones.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #60
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

If they are talking about this, it's only a matter of time. You can't keep makings cars at a loss, day in , day out.......
This user likes this post: