Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Default AU-III - LPG Wagon

Hi Guys,

Looking at buying an AU series 3 Wagon with factory LPG gas. However, it has done 220,000kms and hasn't had a service for the last 25,000kms. Should I be worried?

What should have been changed/done at the 200,000km mark and 210k and 220k?

bazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Well yes and no, if its only missed one service its no biggy, but if this is an ongoing thing, id think twice.

Now oil in LPG cars remains pretty clean even after 20k or so, age is probably a bigger problem- oil gets diluted and generally 'corosive' (couldnt think of a better word) and can cause harm. The Gas system is supposed to be 'serviced' every 15,000 though (this one is debatable though)

Now if the service record for the car are otherwise, good go for it, one 20k oversight, isnt too bad, now going of my record at around the 200k the Gearbox should probably get done, Diff Oil changed as well as the basic stuff.

Personally id get the selling to knock the price down and get all the main fluids- oil, coolant, brake fluid and spark plugs changed using the extra cash for extra piece of mind.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

My cars very rareley see a service from a 'professional', last one was 180thousand k's ago and the car still goes strong so missing one service is peanuts. Whats the asking price, whats it drive like, whats it look like, and what are your plans for the car ????
Old 30-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Thats bugger all for an AU , taxi's run on gas and some have done over way over what that car has your looking at, missing a service or 2 is nothing major . Prolly just check the oil in the car ( check its condition ) , check the sparkplugs ( check there is no bad carbon build-up on the plugs ) , Take it for a drive up a steep steep hill and give it a gutfull , if it still accelerates and doesnt de-accelerate then good chance its still in ok nic . Usually if a car runs nice/smooth/plenty of power etc then that alone nearlly speaks for itself, get racv to do a runover it if your unsure ( and if you trust racv to check it ) ..gl

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Hi Guys,

The car's in good condition, exterior wise. The engine also sounded pretty good and normal on the test drive. He's got a road worthy certificate and everything was good.

Apparently he put new spark plugs and spark plug leads and said they are genuine Ford items - the brand the leads says "Motortech" or "Motorgear" - something like that. Does it supposed to say "Ford" if they are genuine leads?

He's already agreed to the price of $10,500. But I am looking at $10,000.

My plans are to add a tow bar, roof racks, upgrade the brakes and rotors and that's about it really. It will be a daily runaround.

BTW - I've never owned a Ford, so I just learnt on this website that they are chain driven, not timing belt driven...and to think I asked the seller "Did they change the timing belt on the previous service at 195,000km?" LOL.

Cheers,
Old 31-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Sounds like an alright deal. They dont have a timeing belt only a chain which if youve ever owned a Magna is a good thing.

And Motorguard parts which your leads sound like they are Ford. Bit like AC Delco= GM, Motorgard= Genuine Ford.

Sounds all good.

Old 31-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Oh yeah, that's right, it says Motorguard on the leads

I've just purchased a Vehicle Security Certificate from VicRoads which gives me legal protection from reposession from the authority and fiance companies etc. Will pick up the car tomorrow, no more tipping Petrol at 1.35c/L for me YEH!!! :

Where is the best place to get roofracks, a tow bar, and also a set of foglamps for this car and roughly how much am I looking at for those items?

It's an AU-III Forte station wagon.

Cheers,

David.
Old 31-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Your Leads will be red, with grey/black ends and will say Motorcraft. They are genuine ford.

Service intervals for AU3 was 15,000. So, a service was due at 195, then 210, then 225
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Red colour. But I didn't check the ends. Only looked at the leads very briefly. I'll go back for another checkup before taking posession of the car and handing the money over tomorrow.

I am using the missing service intervals to knock the price down a little :rolleyes:

Hey where is your wagon for sale? It looks hot.
Old 31-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Motorcraft-

Man dont make posts whilst drinking - Motorgard whered i get that from

Yeah motorcraft= Ford- considering there only like 3 ignition lead brands im betting there geunine's.

Old 31-05-2006, 07:09 PM   #11
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Motorcraft-

Man dont make posts whilst drinking - Motorgard whered i get that from
LOL. Isn't that a SupaCheap brand?
Old 31-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Hi Guys,

I just looked at this picture, does the AU Forte Wagon have a cargo blind, like in these photos?

Old 31-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"He's already agreed to the price of $10,500. But I am looking at $10,000."
You're insane if you pay that much for a forte.. on gas.. with that many kilometres..!

AU forte's needed the cargo blind optioned iirc.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
bazz
Melbourne Lad

There is nothing cheaper than $13k that I can find in the papers or internet. I thought $10k was alright for an AU-3 with road worth certificate?

Looks like I might need to source a cargo blind. Gee, they add up abit now.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz
There is nothing cheaper than $13k that I can find in the papers or internet. I thought $10k was alright for an AU-3 with road worth certificate?

Looks like I might need to source a cargo blind. Gee, they add up abit now.
My AUI is on gas and the spare stands upright in the wagon. A cargo blind wont fit as far as I know because the spare wheel is in the way. 10k for an AU3 is probably on the high side but maybe the gas makes it worth while.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you have the money and you are happy enought with both the car and the price buy it.

If you've looked around and can't find any that suit don't be too fussed. You're the guy who'll be driving it.

Many blokes here don't say how much they paid, probably because they'll hear "I only paid x$" of "that's way too high!"

IMO the car has done a lot of work, but as someone else said, the factory dedicated gas will probably make up for it.

Your money, your choice man!

All the best with it, just hope you have a few thousand for mods, as the mod bug will bite hard if you hang around here.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

If you have the money and you are happy enough with both the car and the price buy it.

If you've looked around and can't find any that suit don't be too fussed. You're the guy who'll be driving it.

Many blokes here don't say how much they paid, probably because they'll hear "I only paid x$" of "that's way too high!"

IMO the car has done a lot of work, but as someone else said, the factory dedicated gas will probably make up for it.

Your money, your choice man!

All the best with it, just hope you have a few thousand for mods, as the mod bug will bite hard if you hang around here.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 04-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
bazz
Melbourne Lad

I've purchased the car; I didn't get an absolute bargain, but I don't think I overpaid for it. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the purchase; I just performed the first DIY service on the LPG wagon today and it made me glad I purchased it - the service parts are so cheap. I am getting crazy KM's out of LPG - so far I've done 250km and the "DTE" says I've got 560km left til empty. Reckon I shouldn't have a problem getting at least 600km out of a full tank of LPG ($40-off worth of LPG).

Regarding mods - I probably won't do anything to this car, it is only my daily runner. I spent way too much money modding previous rides; I am over modding

Cheers,
Old 04-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
I've purchased the car; I didn't get an absolute bargain, but I don't think I overpaid for it. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the purchase; I just performed the first DIY service on the LPG wagon today and it made me glad I purchased it - the service parts are so cheap.
Welcome to Ford ownership, and DIY servicing, you'll indeed save a packet!

Quote:
I am getting crazy KM's out of LPG - so far I've done 250km and the "DTE" says I've got 560km left til empty. Reckon I shouldn't have a problem getting at least 600km out of a full tank of LPG ($40-off worth of LPG).
Gas is great, I'm getting the SR converted in 2 weeks, just filled up tonight on petrol, $85. What a rort!

Quote:
Regarding mods - I probably won't do anything to this car, it is only my daily runner. I spent way too much money modding previous rides; I am over modding
Famous last words mentioned by many, eaten by all but a mere few! LOL!

All the very best with your purchase!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #20
bazz
Melbourne Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Welcome to Ford ownership, and DIY servicing, you'll indeed save a packet!

Gas is great, I'm getting the SR converted in 2 weeks, just filled up tonight on petrol, $85. What a rort!

Famous last words mentioned by many, eaten by all but a mere few! LOL!

All the very best with your purchase!

GK
Thanx for the welcome; I've already saved in excess of $120 this week in cheap servicing cost and running cost over my previous ride I reckon. I LOVE LPG, it costed me about $40 to fill 95L last week and so far I've done 320kms for the first 1/3rd of the tank, city driving Read this and weep V8 drivers : I'll see how many KMs a full tank gets me.

Paying $85 for petrol is too steep, I feel your pain. But imagine those big Toyota Landcruisers with their fuel cost, *yikes*. Good luck with the LPG conversion mate, how much will it cost you in total for the conversion? Do you have a Sedan?

See if you can get the workshop to place the LPG tank under the floor (even get rid of the petrol tank altogether), I think running duel fuel requires too much of a sacrifice of boot space - plus you can't fold your seat down to access the boot because the LPG tank is in the way.

At the current rate of petrol, and given that LPG costs less than 1/3rd the price of Petrol on certain days of the week, you'll recoup the cost back soon.

On the modding bug. I am serious, I've promised myself *crossed fingers behind back* I will not mod this car.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Good luck with the LPG conversion mate, how much will it cost you in total for the conversion? Do you have a Sedan?
Cost is $2500 all up, 2 years warranty, dyno tune on install and in 12 months time. Tank will go in the boot. I know the space sacrificed will be a pain, but it's my daily driver, not much gear needs to go in the car at all. Dual fuel gives me options later on, if for some reason LPG goes sour!

Quote:
On the modding bug. I am serious, I've promised myself *crossed fingers behind back* I will not mod this car.
I see those fingers! LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG