Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Yet another insurance thread - P Platers

All the guys out there with modded cars whilst on your Ps I want to hear about your insurance.

I'm fitting a set of pacies plus a HF cat to go along with my 2.5" cat back, but wrang suncorp today to check before I set a date at the exhaust shop, and low and behold, sorry, your only allowed one, not both. So there goes my good ole $220 premiums out the window.

So I wrang around for third party, fire and theft:

RACQ: $400 premium, $350 standard excess, $600 aged (soon to be $500 in a few months)

Just Cars: $528 premium, but whatever the hell I want in the mod department, $400 standard excess, $400 aged

Shannons: Have to be over 25

AAMI: Too many mods

GIO: Ditto

I know there's alot of P platers on here, so please share me your deals. Cheers.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.

Last edited by donno; 19-01-2005 at 12:33 AM.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

i reckon ur best bet would be to go with justcar if ur allowed all the mods in the world seems like a fair price too!!!
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 02:35 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

NRMA. Only mod you're not allowed is cam which kinda sucks, but i live without it. No increase in premiums regardless of how many mods you do over time, no inspections except if you prang it, only downside being $400 age excess on top of $400 standard excess if you choose to have one.
Old 19-01-2005, 03:33 AM   #4
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Pffft.
I think from extractors to exhaust tip should be 1 exhaust mod.
Alllll the quotes i get online from Aami are rejected.
Even an ED V8, fine on it's own but with 4 mods (Tint, Body Kit, Spoiler & sunroof) (& i wanted bonnet vents on top of that due to engine heat)
= Sorry, to many mods.
Take away 1 of those & they'll insure it.
As if those things are modifications one has to worry about.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
NRMA. Only mod you're not allowed is cam which kinda sucks, but i live without it. No increase in premiums regardless of how many mods you do over time, no inspections except if you prang it, only downside being $400 age excess on top of $400 standard excess if you choose to have one.
They chucked a hissy fit when I asked them if I could lower my ute, said I could only go 10mm lower than what it is now. Does anyone know how much lower than standard they allow for??
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hambo,

they let me drop my EF 30mm from stock height, but it went down 45mm and they would have seen that when they inspected it (had a bit of a meeting with a 4WD),and they didnt even blink.
Old 19-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

RACV allow a 30mm drop from standard, hence why my car is 30mm down. I have $150 third party fire and theft with a $3,000 value and $600 premium by memory. I have the following mods listed with them:
- lowered 30mm
- extractors
- V8 (its a mod coz it had a 6)
- T5 gearbox
- 7" rims (that is the limit)
I had never heard of the 4 mod. limit, that really sucks! It seems the big insurance agencies get more jumpy with new car mods from the stories I have heard!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's your premium?

Old 19-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #9
XDman

I dont know why you have limits. I insure under my parents name and I am a registered driver so I can do whatever the hell i please :nutsycuck
Old 20-01-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Donno, i cant remember off the top of my head but i think it is around $500. That is with one 'at fault' accident against me too - i kicked up a MAJOR stink about that and i refuse to accept it was my fault, but what can you do.

Car is insured for $10k btw.
Old 20-01-2005, 12:37 AM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Donno, i cant remember off the top of my head but i think it is around $500. That is with one 'at fault' accident against me too - i kicked up a MAJOR stink about that and i refuse to accept it was my fault, but what can you do.
It's a bastard eh? I've got an at fault prang listed because the other ****er did the Russian Dance on me.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDman
I dont know why you have limits. I insure under my parents name and I am a registered driver so I can do whatever the hell i please :nutsycuck
Ditto, car's registered in the parents name, and insured in their too, and i'm registered under the policy. Full comp. for a Manual XR8, $107 per month.
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #13
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Ditto, car's registered in the parents name, and insured in their too, and i'm registered under the policy. Full comp. for a Manual XR8, $107 per month.
Same, I'm with CGU, and paying roughly $60 a month, except they are strict as on performance. I'm only allowed cat-back exhaust. Except i still have a fairly modded falcon (look wise).
Old 20-01-2005, 12:48 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Have you tried actually ringing the insurance company and telling them what mods you have (if any). If you have, and they still insure you, please provide us all with the name of this mystical insurance company!

AAMI have the 3 mod policy to direct people to Just Cars - they underwrite that as well, and get to charge whatever they like for the privilege of insuring anyone in anything.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

lol CGU won't let me drive mum's Calais.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 03:21 AM   #16
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I'm not a p plate driver have a not a bad record and Allianz want insure me or my gf and she's 27 with a stock AU XR8. So much for there add on TV.
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #17
Blessed XR8
"Get Me Outta Here!"

Pick up the stock XR8 tomorrow. I'm 21 today and it'll cost me $2600 approx with NRMA. I'm 22 tomorrow and it will cost me $1703.85 exactly with NRMA... go figure...
Blessed XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #18
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
i was under the impression that if you are under your parents name, you don't get a rating, so when you go out on your own you'll start with the lowest rating. That's how I thought it works anyway. Meh........
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
chief
FTF Club Moderator

This is what I wrote on another ff.com.au insurance forum. This info is still current. I made the salls on th 20/01/05.

Being on your parents insurance does not work with AAMI by the way. They wont insure you. Parents yes, you No.

Shannons told me that ifi it is a daily driver or not what they deem to be a classic they wont insure me.

Just cars insurance is $2220 for unlimited modifications and I am under 25. The excess is $1400 though. Also dont have choice of repairer. (They take your repairers quote and match with a quote of theres, who ever is cheaper gets the job). When I turn 22 the premium goes down by $200, and when I turn 25 it goes down a further $400. That is a total of $1620 for unlimited mods for anyone over 25.

Vigil is $1561, there do have a clause to get a premium that cheap you need an after market alarm / security system. If not it is a bit more expensive. They do offer choice of repairer, and have 12 moths road side assistance.

AAMI. They suck. Heard some bad stories from mates about them. They only let you do one modification then they will cover the car and not the mods. If you cause an accident because of one of your mods they dont insure you for that particular crash.

NRMA Is one of the better all rounders. They are good, rather competitive price $1800 for my car and offer bulk discounts.

I have not called GIO,SUNCORP or TORQUE yet. The reason I know this is I am in the middle of trying to insure a highly modified AUII Wagon. (Soon to become a TS50 wagon, i will explain that later.)

Out of interest I am heading down the road of Vigil. Anyone used them? Who underwrites them? ie who backs them; see Just Car Insurance is underwritten by AAMI.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #20
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
i was under the impression that if you are under your parents name, you don't get a rating, so when you go out on your own you'll start with the lowest rating. That's how I thought it works anyway. Meh........
Yes it does work that way, but there is a good way to go that I use. Im not on my p's, but am still young, and my ute is insured partly under my name and partly under my old man's. Doing this means I take advantage of his no claim bonus and still accrue a no claim bonus of my own. Its really good.

Im with NRMA by the way.
Old 22-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #21
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well took out a policy with Just Car today. I got them to send the bill and policy details in the mail so I can read the fine print before I send any cash.

Old 22-01-2005, 09:58 PM   #22
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
I just got insurance for the XR6 in my name. 21 years old, 4 years driving history.
NRMA, GIO, Allianz, AAMI, Shannons, Unique, Vigil... wouldn't touch me.
Just Cars quoted $4011 on full comp, for value of $29,600.
I was insured as a listed driver on the XD (in dad's name), and in 5 years never had a claim, or an infringment.
GIO will send me a letter stating that, and that I was on a 50% no claim rating.
I finally ended up going wih Young & Cool, only $1500 a year full comp, for $30,000 (maximum amount for any car insured with them).
Now I have to get a 3 point passive arming immobiliser to have it covered for theft.
They will also reduce your excess by $1000 if you complete a driver training course.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 22-01-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post