Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
will2011
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta steering problems. HELP!

Bought a new2011 model WT Fiesta CL In August. Since November the car has been in to the Ford Dealership three times to attempt to correct a muffled knocking noise and vibration through the steering column while maneuvering at slow speed, such as reverse parking or negotiating the tight turns of a multi-story car park. On the first visit to the Ford Service Department, the steering rack was replaced. This seemed to work until a few weeks later while reverse parkingI felt something go “ping” and the previous condition returned. I have taken the car back two more times only to be told the knocking through the steering column I am experiencing was normal for a front wheel drive with electronic power steering. This is rubbish1 if that be the case, Ford have a major problem on there hands.
Is there any other Fiesta owners out there experiencing the same type of problem?.

will2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fiesta steering problems. HELP!

Havent seen this problem in here yet but ive seen the dealer problem with pretty much everyone.

Goodluck with the dealer problem...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Caydus

I'm in a WT Fez as well and the steering is beautiful at low speeds, light and still got heaps of feedback, just hear a bit more whirring at low speeds off the steering, but no knocking or vibration.

If he's playing the "it's a characteristic of the car" card, you can tell him where to shove his steering rack because it definately isn't.

Take one of the demo Fiestas he has for a slow spin around the parking lot for 20mins or so and see if you get knocking.

He's probably running scared because he replaced a steering rack worth a pretty penny due to a mis-diagnosis at Ford's expense, and there'll be hell to pay when he has to go back for more money.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Fez WQ

Smile Re: Fiesta steering problems. HELP!

I had mine( sterring rack) replaced under warranty, fixed it for a while then the same thing came back literally a week later. I then had it serviced at Park Ford (in perth) they fixed it by greasing it up and tightening it up. They said that would fix it and it has... 15 000 km later still all is good..... pm me if you want any more help

I own a WS fiesta LX with now 50,000 on the clock
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
will2011
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez WQ
I had mine( sterring rack) replaced under warranty, fixed it for a while then the same thing came back literally a week later. I then had it serviced at Park Ford (in perth) they fixed it by greasing it up and tightening it up. They said that would fix it and it has... 15 000 km later still all is good..... pm me if you want any more help

I own a WS fiesta LX with now 50,000 on the clock
Thanks Fez for the reply, i tried PM you but i need a min on 5 posts and this is only my second.

If you have any further info that would be great as the service centre has a ford service rep there tomorrow and i have been invited to bring the car along.
the furstrating thing with all this is that my office is only 10 minutes away and for the life of me i can not get the service manager to hop in the car with me so i can demo the problem proberly. they are too busy and only have time to drive the caar up and down the road.
I am so frustrated ive even confirmed my Consumer Rights with the ACCC as i am about to crack it!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Fez WQ

I would just tell your service centre to get in contact with them at Park Ford in Perth
08 9415 0503

My rego is ( see your pm) if they want to look at my cars history

I was very much over it as well, but they fixed it.... maybe give them a bit more time maybe.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
will2011
Starter Motor

an update on todays events!
FEZ WQ what can i say, the info you provided was special. i passed the details on to the service centre who later in the day performed a lube job you had done on your Fiesta.
i dont want to tempt fate but ive picked the car up and the steering feels fantastic and so smooth.
FEZ, you have saved me a lot of pain!
cheers Mate
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Fez WQ

No probs